Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OT... I\'m quitting smoking!

Starting this weekend, I've decided to give up smoking. I decided that I didn't want a habit to cause my death, especially smoking. Going to get the "patch" this weekend to keep me from becoming a total a$$hole. It costs me around $90 a month to support the habit. That's $1080 a year that would buy a really nice winch/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif. I would rather have the winch. Wish me luck and wish Jeepchick even more luck./wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif
Bryan/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

http://www.geocities.com/yjlaredo240/index.htmDana 30 Vaccuum disconnect courtesy of Jim

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Re: OT... I\'m quitting smoking!

It's a tough habit to shake. I smoked for 30 years and just quit recently. I used Ziban (wellbutren - and antidepressent)...it made it easy. I used the inhaler during the two week period that it takes to get saturated into your blood stream. It cost a fortune but it was worth it. My wife quit at the same time...she just got ..well...shall we say irritable/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif. I was a three pack a day smoker and our combined habit was to the tune of $75+/week. Heck I'll buy another TJ with the savings!

Good luck, my friend ..freedom is coming your way.

My wife's TJ's got the winch.

GeeAea

Now that I've quit smoking my doctor informs me that I'll die in much better health!!!

·
Registered
6,394 Posts

/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Why quit when you can get a shyster lawyer to sue the tobacco company and get a Los Angeles jury to award you 3+ BILLION for their actions in FORCING you to smoke cigarettes like that other guy just got. The lawyer got 2.99 billion and the plaintiff guy got a few thousand. That seems fair, no?/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Quadra-Trac Team./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
7,958 Posts

No kidding. My mom smoked for over 30 years and she quit in 3 weeks using just the patch, and her work paid for her to quit.

My dad has tried stopping about 10 times, but it never took. Now that he's had his heart attack and bypass surgery, which the doctors said was a direct result of his smoking, he's quit. Heck of a way to quit, and expensive, the hospital stay alone (just the room) was $58,000. Good thing he has 100% coverage on his insurance and he's retired so there's no lost wages.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

G

·

I went to a hypnotist and quit cold turkey about 8 years ago. I put on a few extra LBS but it was still well worth it.
good luck
Maxx

G

·

I just quit for the second time in 10 years cold turkey. I quit the first time for 2 years and this time so far for 1 month. I am trying to get my FUTURE jeepwife to quit, but she manages a restaraunt and it is much tougher to quit if you are around it constantly than if you work in a non-smoking office. I am already feeling so much better. The burning feeling in the throat is gone as well as the occasional acid reflux caused by irritation of the esophagus caused by cigarette smoke. Anyone who still smokes, it is worth the cost and pain to give it up. I was a 2 pack a day smoker for 10 years along with a little of the other smoke that is much more fun. Cigarettes are terrible and you will notice a huge difference after you quit. I am now able to run a half court b-ball game without killing myself. My goal is full court against younger guys. I wish even though I am an EXTREME CAPITALIST that we could outlaw cigs. They are more harmful in that pack than anything else you can do. "THEY WILL KILL YOU!"

G

·

I'll add my encouragement. The patch worked for me. You'll feel much better in a couple of weeks, but you'll probably put on weight unless you really start to exercise.

And I believe everybody can go to hell in their own fashion, cigarettes, booze, drugs, russian roulette, running jeeps across the fall line and beyond the tipover point or threatening heavily armed people with assault. Ain't nobody else's business how you do it.

Good luck.

45-auto
Bone stock '81 CJ7.
"You can always see it coming. But you can never stop it."
-- Cowboy Junkies.

http://www.televar.com/~bthomas/index.html

·
Registered
352 Posts

Bryan, GREAT FOR YOU!!! I'm a respiratory therapist by trade and deal with the consequences of cigarette smoke daily. It is so nice to hear about another person who is doing something proactive to avoid going down that road. Don't be discouraged, it will be tough. But it's just like when we were kids learning to walk. We take a step, we may fall down. The key is that we get back up and take another step. We fall down enough soon we're walking, then running. Don't put pressure on yourself about how the process of quitting has to be, or how it was for others. However you do it that works for you is the right way. Man, I'll be pulling for you. Godspeed! If I can do anything to be of support/help please let me know.

Jeff

Why drive a luxo-box SUV when you can lay in the dirt busting your knuckles under old iron? '77 CJ-5, '64 S2A Land Rover

·
Registered
13,432 Posts

Beee240, Good For You! That's a great decision. Not only do those cancer sticks cause your death, you've go to pay the guy to kill you slowly /wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif.

You and the Jeepchick quitting the same time? Now My hat's really off to you both... but I would not want to be around your house for then next three to four weeks /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif.

One other item here... if you are religious read on. If you are not religions, keep reading, you need it more /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif!

It never hurts to enlist your makers help in quitting smoking. We were not born with smokes in our mouths so a united family prayer, or two (or many), for help in quitting and endurance through the withdrawl won't hurt. It may even help.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

I smoked for about 15 years, and I quit about 1.5 years ago. I sort of quit cold turkey, I used the gum, but it didn't seem to do much except taste bad. I'm a bad boy every now and then and smoke a cigarette, which is dangerous because it can cause you to start back up, but I decided a long time ago that I would never get back into that habit again. I do however smoke my stogies, which probably isn't much better for you, but I only smoke one of those every couple week to week and a half. Good luck and hang in there, I know the toughest times are after you eat and when you are driving, but just hang tough, you can do it.

82 Scrambler/360/T5/D300/4" SUA/AMC20/Rear Discs/Somers Bros Axles/D30/3:73's/Lockrite Lockers.
2001 Bare Stock Trendy Jeep Sport (everyday driver)
Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

beee240- my hats off to ya, that's a very responsible decision that you and jeepchick has made. I've never smoked, but from what I hear, quiting is tough. Keep your will power up and keep motivated. Some help as LEVE suggested, IMO, is always a good idea. Good luck and keep us posted on your status.

Rick
80 CJ7
258 T176 TR upgrade

·
Registered
3,478 Posts

I never smoked myself so I don't know what it's like to quit. I do think it is a good move. Best Wishes, Beeee.

Jim

G

·

Good decision. I quit years ago, but my father didn't. Just got a call last
night, he's in the hospital with emphasema (sp) and has one or two days left.

Gary

G

·

Way to go, it's great that your quiting. I don't know weather it's harder or not but I used to smoke pipe and cigars and quit cold turkey in the eighties befor gum and patches were around but it was easy after what I saw.I worked for New york state at the time and they brouught around a bulletin board with actuall lungs on it of people who had died one set was from a peron who died of natural causes they were pink sorts one set was from a person who smoked for fifteen years they were black and gray and one set was from a person who died from lung cancer they were carcoal black much smaller than the others and has numerous small holes in them.That was the last day I ever smoked.

·
Registered
502 Posts

Congrats,
I smoked for 6 years ... quit 2 years ago at first its a real pain but it gets easer.

Jeremy

·
Registered
196 Posts

the patch is the way to go, but the most important thing is that you WANT TO QUIT. i used the patch 4 years ago and have never looked back, you will feel like a new man in 6 weeks. good luck!

gdm

G

·

Best thing you will ever do for yourself. Also one of the toughest. Best of luck to you!

I don't know if this will happen to you , but when I quit I was in the 'frig all the damn time. I couldn't believe how good food tasted (beer too) after I had quit for a couple of weeks. Anyway, good luck.

G

·

Good for you! My wife quit, the patch helped her a lot.
I quit a year later pretty much cold turkey. I decided snowboarding and hiking and the money for the lift kit was worth more than smelling like smoke and wheezing on stairs.
Good luck!

94 YJ 4.0L Jeep Score - 53 Soon to be lifted!!!

G

·

It has been almost 10yrs since I put the Copenhagen away, and it was a good decision. I was a real crank for about two weeks, and still craved the stuff for the next two years, but now the smell of it makes me sick. I am glad to have that monkey off my back. Good luck, and Leve's advice is sound.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts