Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off sorry for the lack of Jeep related tech over the last few months. I have been upside down in a new venture and it leaves little time for sleep let alone jeeps.

I am actually gonna wheel this weekend though!!! First time out since the bash!!

Anyway to the point.

I have a set of overload springs on the tow vehicle. They work great when you sit about 2000 on the trailer they start working and the springs never bottom out.

I just ordered a new 2006 24 foot gooseneck deck over. I need my truck to last until spring next year, so I am looking at suspension.

The truck will pull the weight that does not concern me. The issue is the suspension holding it up. The rear springs are worn and flexy. truck sits level when unloade but in stock form it was higher in the rear than the front.

Friend gave me a set of helpers that go above the spring pack and connect to the springs. Supposedly the work in all positions, from slight load to what the heck are you doing.

The new trailer weighs 4000 lbs empty, the old one is just over 2000.

I have pulled 10,000 lbs on a 3000lb trailer once before on a bumper pull. The truck handled it without a problem so I figure while the trailer has a 4000 lb weight and a 14000lb capacity even loaded to 10,000 lbs would be no worse than the previously mentioned pull. But a little tighter suspension would be better for my concious.

So does anyone have any experience with this style helper spring?

While I would be better off with a new set of springs, I don't want to pt that kind of money into something that has limited life.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had that type of helper springs on my 01' Mazda B3000, mostly for when I drove with my quad in the back. I thought they worked well, they didn't really effect the ride quality unless you had them really tight. Being adjustable was nice, and a relatively quick job. The only thing that I'd be worried about is the stress that they would put on your spring pack when under a heavy load, especially if it's for a long time.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
How long you gonna keep that truck? If it's worth the expense, may check into a pair of airbag helpers. From what I understand they help a ton and ride rather nice. There's a big market with lots of applications. My .02

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I Had a set on the explorer and they made a world of diffrence.

I plan to keep it about another year. That is why I wanted to make the freebies work. When I got the set for the explorer they were 99.99 now they are almost double that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.