Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an idea for a product that could quite possibly be the boat coming in for me. the thing is I'm not exactly sure about how to go about selling the idea.

With out disclosing too much information It would involve an apparel company and specific Automotive companies.

I'd need the apparel company to produce and the rights from the Automotive company to do this right. So, which do I go to first, how do I get the two together on this. I don't want to get into either industry or spend my time following up on either. I would prefer to sell the idea. the other thing is, how do you find out or figure out what an idea would be worth? It's something that could be VERY BIG! quite a diverse range of buyers would want this, you could about put money on every Gear head wanting this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif even all of you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But how to go about it. I'm thinking, find an aparel company that would see this as I do and go from there.

any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Before you contact anyone, write down (in detail) what your plan is. Mail it to yourself certified mail, and keep the return receipt. Lock it in a safe or safe deposit box. Then start contacting people. You have some protection if one of them decides to steal the idea for himself. Good luck with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I think the first thing you need, if you are serious about this, is a pattent (sp).

You are putting yourself at risk telling anyone about this, especialy the apparel company and specific Automotive companies. They don't need you, you need them.

Auto company is second, get the rights.
Then go to the apparel company last, and contract the work to them...

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Already working on putting the idea on paper so as to mail it to myself. From what I understand that gives you right for one year. As Aaron mentioned, get a patent on it. Only thing is, after watching patents fly out of my old office, I know (at least the ones they did) patents run BIG BUCKS that I don't have. So next best thing is to mail it to myself certified once a year.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm no patent Lawyer, but I'm sure there are still loop holes on even that.

maybe as Aaron also mentioned, I'm thinking about this backwards. If I want the rights to it, get the rights from the automotive company first then go to the apperal company.... hhhmmmmm.....

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
One more tip. Don't let them see your sign in picture or title.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
The auto company has something that you have to have. Ask them for it before you spend/waste time on much else. But, if this is as good of a thing as you are thinking it is, you need to protect yourself and your idea, before you let them in on your idea. You will also need an attorney to wright up the release of whatever it is that you are after. Don't take their word or paperwork for anything.

Apperal company is nothing more than a contract for work or products. Get everything straight before you tell them what your doing, or they may get their stuff straight first...

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[ QUOTE ]
One more tip. Don't let them see your sign in picture or title.

[/ QUOTE ]
what are you saying? do you not take me seriuosly???? I hope not.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
The auto company has something that you have to have. Ask them for it before you spend/waste time on much else. But, if this is as good of a thing as you are thinking it is, you need to protect yourself and your idea, before you let them in on your idea. You will also need an attorney to wright up the release of whatever it is that you are after. Don't take their word or paperwork for anything.

Apperal company is nothing more than a contract for work or products. Get everything straight before you tell them what your doing, or they may get their stuff straight first...

[/ QUOTE ]

damn good point. thanks

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
what are you saying? do you not take me seriuosly???? I hope not..

[/ QUOTE ]
Serious as a heart attack, Brent. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Good luck on your quest.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Re: OT- Got an idea, how to go about making it rea

if its an image on that apparel then its a copyright,

if its something else that serves utility of some sort then its a patent.....those can run several thousand dollars by the time you are done. One of my engineering professors told me the "mail to yourself" thing is easily defeated in court by skilled lawyers, so use caution

your best bet if its a REALLY great idea, is to fork over the cash and patent it (could take a year or two to get that done) make sure your patent covers the Device AND the Process/method

so lets pretend you invented the hand throttle, your patent would inclue the design of the actual part as well as the process by which you can controll the throttle by hand via a mechanical or electrical linkage.......something like that, get the idea?

once you have that you can flaunt the idea to whomever you want and they cant steal it

also look out for companys that will buy your idea and promise you royalties, then dont ever produce the product (happens a lot) and you dont get any royalties.

if possible dont sell the whole rights, reserve rights for yourself so they can turn around and sell the idea to someone else tooo....

a good lawyer (is there such a thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif ) could tell you lots more than that

EDIT: also know that you dont need permission from jeep to make jeep bumpers for example.....depending on what you are making you might not need thier permission for this thingy. (unless it has thier logo on it)

·
Registered
729 Posts
If you think that this idea has the potential to generate a significant amount of income then I would strongly recommend talking with a legal expert knowledgeable in patents, licensing contracts, or the appropriate classification for your idea.

You may want to consider getting a business license and "selling" the idea from the business. Doing this as a business may allow you some tax deductions for expenses incurred in "selling" the idea that you would not get as an individual. A tax accountant could give you ideas about what you could deduct, whether it would be worthwhile, and whether or not you will have to show a profit at some point.

Do you think that your idea would fall under patent laws or under copy write laws or is it more of a marketing strategy? -- you don't have to answer, this was just for thought.

Good luck,
Mike

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Patent, copyright, trademark, industrial design, all different creatures, each with a specific purpose. As mentioned, patents cover inventions of devices and /or processes. Copyright covers a wide range of "works" that are original creations, yet may not have function. All of the above require registration in the appropriate government office to preserve your rights. Beware of public disclosure as it would invalidate your right to patent. Copyright in the United States I believe requires registration. Here in Canada it arises automatically as a result of an original "work". You may be able to deal with the automotive companies that hold the trademark by way of a non-disclosure agreement. You may also be able to make preliminary inquiries about their licencing out of their trademark. I doubt "Jeep" makes those bicycles and flashlights that bear their name. Someone paid the owner of the trademark for the licence to use that name on their product. You may also be able to do the same. Get a consultation with a lawyer that specializes in Intellectual Property. That way you will know basically where you stand. For instance, a marketing strategy would not likely be patentable. Your profit may lie entirely in the way you shrewdly market it. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts