Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving on Rt. 17 in Upstate NY last night and got pulled over doing 79 in a 55. The cop was nice and ended up giving me a ticket for a broken speedometer instead of a speeding ticket. Does anyone know if that is a moving violation in NY? Also, on the ticket itself, there is no mention of a fine or anything but it says i have to appear in court upstate on Feb. 28th. Any idea what I am supposed to do? Do I have to actually go to court up there? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Donny

BTW, I was doing 79 in the XJ, not YJ. I'm not a total nut.

1987 YJ 258 I6, NV 3550, TFI Upgrade, MSD 6A, TFX Exhaust, Smitty Sure Steps, Howell Fuel Injection 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty lift, 2" Body lift 1999 Cherokee Sport, Stock

·
Registered
596 Posts
don't know about ny but in california, the only time you have to go to court is if you are going to try and fight it. typicaly you will get something in the mail stating what the fine is and a due date.

this might be a 'fix-it' ticket, so you might have to pay the fine and show that the speedo works to a cop and have him sign it off.
if thats the case, I don't suggest you fight it, because if you say that you speedo isn't broken, then that means you really were speeding.
surveyboy

http://www.csupomona.edu/~sdmiller1/jeep.htm

·
Registered
840 Posts
it is not a moving violation it is an equipment violation just sign the back send it in to the court and they will send the fine to you to be paid

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive

·
Registered
845 Posts
don't know about NY, but in VA anything over 20 mph above the speed limit is 'wreckless driving' and requires a court appearance. if you don't show, you will be 'found guilty in your absence' and can have your license suspended and a BIG fine.........don't ask how i know!

shawn

The cup isn't half full or half empty, it's just twice the size it needs to be!!!

G

·
80 CJ
I`d call i`m sure there is a phone # call and tell them the statue # should be on ticket, they will tell you the amout of the fine i doubt you need to show up but do so prior to the court apperence date to play it safe!!! O/T if you have friends in NY you could call them check out cjjeepercreepers post NJ OHV PARK we need all the help we can get
thanx good luck with ticket

GOD BLESS AMERICA AND DAMN THOSE WHO MESS WITH US

G

·
I've had a few tickets myself, anyways they have all either had the fine on it or had a number to call to see how much the fine was. If you don't want to go to court in my experience you must pay the fine by mail (money order probably) and have it get there before your court date. Otherwise they can get you for failing to show for court (paying the fine just admits your guilt really). Of course this can be different between states but in the 3 states I have had tickets it has been roughly the same (Michigan, Ga, Sc). I don't think it will affect your insurance since it is not a strict speeding ticket. I got a ticket for "too fast for conditions" (actually 2...) and the insurance company does not see them luckily (the officer even told me that last time). The thing that gets me is I am usually one of slow-medium speed drivers on the road I have just had bad luck recently. A note to GA drivers I-20 near Augusta I don't suggest you speed in the "construction zone". After 15 miles of no sign of construction I had sped back up a little only to get nabbed going down a hill. I was really not pleased that they had 20 miles of construction zone without any construction. Maybe I'm a whiner, I did get caught speeding but I feel it would be safer to have construction zones actually be where construction takes place. A few miles is one thing but 20 miles with no sign is excessive to me. I think it was pretty much one counties way of making budget for the year.

David Sanders
http://www.geocities.com/david_sanders_79/jeep.htm

·
Registered
605 Posts
Nope you don't have to show up unless you want to try to fight the ticket. Just fill out the part of the ticket where you plead guilty, send it in and they will send you a bill to pay. You got off easy. I got a ticket many years ago on 17 going 88 in a 55 (in my dodge omni no less) and just sent the ticket in...cost me about $150 I think. Your broken speedo will get you somewhere in the $25-$50 range.

'79 CJ-7

G

·
Donny - you know what...you may not have to pay anything! I know, in NYS, if you get a ticket for lets say a tailight out, all you do is fix it, go to the local cop shop and have them sign it (they will send someone out to look at it). You then send it in to the court system and they dismiss it. But there is a time limit from when you recieved the ticket to when it must be fixed! I'm not sure if this is the same thing for mechanical breakages. Can you call someone to confirm this? Tell them that you now have it fixed. Also, no, it is not a moving violation

I am a bomb technician, if you see me running, try to keep up /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif
'85 Cj7,360,TH400,D300,Pro-jection,D44's,M/T's 35's,8274

G

·
I would say it is a definate possibility. Although not exactly the same but my friend had an expired tag, all he had to do was buy the tag (maybe pay late fee) and prove to the judge that he had done this and they let him off without an extra fines. I would imagine it is a definate possibility. I know on insurance here if you have it but don't have the card with you all you have to do is show up proving that you did in deed have insurance at the time of the ticket.

David Sanders
http://www.geocities.com/david_sanders_79/jeep.htm

G

·
Yea, I had a brand new Chevy pick up truck that I recieved a speeding ticket in once. Come find out, the speed sensor was bad. I had it repaired and took the bill to court with me and the Judge dismissed it.

What was you doing way up here from your home?

I am a bomb technician, if you see me running, try to keep up /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif
'85 Cj7,360,TH400,D300,Pro-jection,D44's,M/T's 35's,8274

·
Registered
839 Posts
Send a copy of a receipt for the cable and plead guilty. If the judge is in a good mood he may let it go if you don't have any other violations. You still may be liable for court costs. Don't be surprised if it's close to a 100
bucks for the ticket. Where on 17 did you get the ticket?

G

·
Stop being a baby. You got off lucky and cheap. Just pay the fine. Just imagine if you got the ticket you deserved. You'd have a heavy fine, points on license and probably insurance premium increase, not to mention the wrath of your family.

1986 CJ7, Chevy 350, D44/D30, more to come shortly

1 - 13 of 13 Posts