Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OT: Good ol\' American Iron

Little bitty Greensburg hosted a really impressive Car Show today. This was the second year for it, and they had over 1000 cars register. Way more in attendance than I ever would have expected for our little Burg. If I had known how good it was going to be I would have posted about it so some of the semi-locals could have come for a cookout and checked it out. Maybe next year.
Kathy and I had a ball checking out all of the old Mopar Muscle, as well as the rest of the vintage machines.
Unfortunately there were only 2 Willys there, but I've already spoken with the wife of one of the organizers and she said if I can get him some club names he'll send them an invitation for next year.

Anyway, I thought some of you might like to see some of the pictures I took, so here's a link.

http://home.insightbb.com/~jbtater/cars.html

And just to get ya started, here are shots of the two Willys;

1948 Wagon:

1949 Jeepster:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Re: OT: Good ol\' American Iron

P.S

Free for spectaters. Lot's of good food, Good music and clean ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/RockOn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

·
Registered
13,432 Posts

Thanks for posting that link. There's nothing that can beat ol' American Iron. It's fast becoming an bygone era (like me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

It was fun looking at the pictures... here's my favorite:

Now that's a thing of beauty....

·
Registered
1,340 Posts

[ QUOTE ]

Now that's a thing of beauty....

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bow.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodpost.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bow.gif

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts

Greg, you're getting off the topic. This is about american IRON, not fiberglass.

·
Registered
484 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
Greg, you're getting off the topic. This is about american IRON, not fiberglass.

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty sure the corvette didn't go glass till around 1970 or so, may be wrong on that time frame but all in the 50's were steel....at least the ones ive seen at shows n such

(sigh) i remember my 'vette, beatiful blue, four on the floor, 1981.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bs.gif

course it was a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/puke.gifCHEVETTE lmao, never did pick up any girls with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bag.gif, not for lack of tryin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headspin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif

·
Registered
1,764 Posts

Vettes were fibreglass in '61, but can't say for sure prior to that. I thought they were glass from '54 on up.

·
Registered
13,432 Posts

Corvettes first rolled off the assembly line with fiberglass bodies in late 1953...

·
Registered
11,504 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
Corvettes first rolled off the assembly line with fiberglass bodies in late 1953...

[/ QUOTE ]

And have never been steel or anything else.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts

A little more plastic trivia. Production Corvette bodies are made with a chop gun process - short pieces of fiber are mixed with resin and sprayed into the mold. But, in the late 60's as I recall, some were built for racing with hand-laid mat. Because that's stronger, the body can be thinner and lighter.

·
Registered
484 Posts

D'OH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wall.gif i stand corrected /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bag.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bag.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bow.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bow.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif

·
Registered
13,432 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
A little more plastic trivia. Production Corvette bodies are made with a chop gun process - short pieces of fiber are mixed with resin and sprayed into the mold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Back in the Mid-1950's we had one Corvette in Valdez Alaska. During the winters the owner would go out the the unheated storage area and start the Corvette. One day, he went through his regular start up procedure. It was about -65*F. The darned Corvette would turn over sluggishly and then die.

Finally in disgust he got out of his beloved Corvette and slammed the door.

That was a huge mistake...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts