Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am gong to do my first tranny swap next week. A friend of mine has a 87 Grand Marque (sp?) that needs a new tranny. Its kind of beat up but its still worth fixing. I know he has a 302 but i dont know the miles. (probally high) What should i look out for/ need to be aware of? Also how long to you think it will take. I am planning to work slow and make sure its right. Thanks for the help- Tim

Its really a shame that AMC thought floors should be optional/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
785 Posts
buy a service manual and read it a couple times before starting. the $15 Haynes manual should be fine and will have all the torque values you will need. use a paint marker and mark how the torque converter is aligned with the flex plate and how the flex plate is oriented with the crankshaft. the best luck i have had getting out the top bellhousing bolts is enough extensions (about 36 inches) to put the ratchet behind the tranny and a u-joint up next to the socket. it may take two people, one to align the socket and one to turn the ratchet. an air-ratchet speeds up this process once the bolts are broke loose. hope this helps! matt

1 - 2 of 2 Posts