Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried this on the Dodge 4x4 list, 6 looks in 3 days? Guess no one is usually home there.

I don't know squat about ABS or, where to look, so if you have ideas, I would appreciate it:

1999 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 360 auto disk/drum.

My ABS and Brake light came on a few days ago, my brakes are in good shape, full fluid (Though a little old I guess) looked under it, nothing out of the ordinary and don't have a code reader at my disposal.

Question is what should I check for and/or reset the computer? I would rather not drop it to a dealer to charge me for reading codes. Any ideas? Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
my 98.5 has the exact same problem.. it was intermittent for a while and still goes off occasionally, but it's usually on now

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Scott, you're probably just shooting in the dark without knowing what the problem is. Can't you take it to a NAPA and have the codes read for free? Then you'll at least know where to start and what kind of problem you're looking for.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
This has been talked about on the TDR quite a bit...Seems that they just do that. My 96 does...I'm gonna replace my fluid and bleed tomorrow morning and see if that does anything. Currently if I pump the brakes...they get worse and the warning lights will come on. Rev the motor...and the lights go off...

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the local Napa doesn't read codes. I guess there is a ABS adapter for the OBD II anyway, that's what I was told by another auto parts shop.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Check your emergency/parking brake, if it is out of adjustment that may be the only problem.
Other item may be a s-l-o-w fluid leak. Check the bottom of the rear backing plates for a damp spot or better yet pull the drum, same with the front disk, check for leak.
If none of that works you can reset the brake light by having some one push on the brake as you crack a bleader valve. If if does not work on the first front wheel try the other side. You are trying to push a slug back to the middle position in the brake light warning switch that is mounted on the MC or ABS under the hood.
If you have hit road debries or bottomed out recently check the electrical lines going to the wheel/axle sensors.
Dont know Dodge to well but your sensor might be on the pumpkin of each axle, it picks up a magnetic impluse off the ring gear and that tells the ABS the wheel is spining or locking up. Some cars/trucks have a sensor at each wheel.. hope this helps

·
Registered
179 Posts
Its one of two things:

1. (most likely) The RWAL sensor, most likely. Less than $30 at the dealer. ITs on top of the rear diff and can be changed in 10 minutes.

2. Vehicles speed sensor. This is located on the drivers side of the transmission housing, though unless your speedometer has failed or is intermittant, its 99% not this.

Good luck. I'm willing to bet its #1. Its happened to me once, and that was it.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Remy, easy test for the RWAL Sensor?

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
ahhh...
my speedo IS also intermittant, but sometimes it works with the abs light on and sometimes the it doesn't. It works the other way too..sometimes the abs light is off and the speedo may or may not work. I know that in my TJ hen the speed sensor died, the jeep died whenever I stopped (even with a 5 speed). I'll try a new vss.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts