Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The little 3-year old granddaughter has been coming over on weekends and we spend a couple of hours at the pool each day.

Some people seem to be amazed that I can float on my back motionless. Just lay back and, if the water were calm, I could take a nap. I thought everybody could do that.

Now the one that really amazes them is when I float (or maybe it’s bob) in 12’ of water with my body vertical, relaxed and motionless but my head stays above the water. I don’t have to tread water. Many have seen me do it but have tried to do it and failed. I didn’t think it was unusual. Can anybody else do it?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
floating

Flotation has to do with lung capacity, and body composition.

Large persons normally float fairly well, as do really skinny people, but muscular people tend to sink like a rock.

Kids float pretty good too.
Whats fun is trying to teach kids to float on their back in swimming lessons, and demonstrating it..

9times out of 10.. its alright.. but you always get that one perceptive kid who says... 'HEY YOUR CHEATING! YOUVE GOT ONE HAND ON THE BOTTOM!'

·
Registered
875 Posts
Re: floating

Yep! I'm one of those that always sinks like a rock, except when I've been swimming in the Gulf of Mexico.

I understand it's because there's a high salt content there....either that, or alot of people peed in the water...nasty taste!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

·
Registered
10,815 Posts

Taz -- He He - As you've been accused of before here -- it's all that hot air!

No offense intented, but I couldn't let it slip by.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts

Ahh, but do you have the tin hat on Taz? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[Jerk]

Sometimes it floats, sometimes it sinks, and sometimes it leaves a mark on its way down.....

[/Jerk]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
I could always swim like a fish but can't float for beans. While I can to some degree it's less work for me to swim to keep afloat than it is to "try" and float.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yes I float. The only one in my family. Got a low mark (but passed) in my College swim class. I guess the instructor had pity on me when he realized that no matter how hard I tried swimming under the water it just wasn't going to happen.

·
Registered
991 Posts
My dad can float like that and he has very little body fat.

And thanks, Jim. Now the night terrors will return!

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
never coould, always pissed me off that I couldn't but others could.

My Step Dad was telling me how you can float almost literally On top of the water in the Dead Sea. Extremely high Slat content I think is what contributes to it.

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
never coould, always pissed me off that I couldn't but others could.

My Step Dad was telling me how you can float almost literally On top of the water in the Dead Sea. Extremely high Slat content I think is what contributes to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Next time your in Utah, go to The Great Salt Lake. It's not quite as heavily laden with mineral as is the Dead Sea, but it's a close second.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
as previously mentioned....body fat and lung capacity make the difference.

i sink like a rock.....even with a full breath....my body fat sits around 11% last measured....im a skinney lil bastard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

the advantage is that i never really needed weight belts when i took a scuba class!

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
But Greg I'm a fat SOB and full of hot air. Why can't I float like a cloud?.............

WAIT........

don't answer that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
But Greg I'm a fat SOB and full of hot air. Why can't I float like a cloud?.............
WAIT........
don't answer that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

im just taking a stab here, as i'm certainly no expert....but muslce, bone, and other tissue density all have something to do with.....so I guess what I'm try to say is that you might be dense! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Barely. I went swimming in a quarry once. Seeing that it was 100+ foot deep ...I finally realized how people can "tire" and drown. I'm heavy ..but I've got way too much muscle mass and heavy bone structure. I can maybe ...maybe .. keep my face above water. I can't "stand" in the water motionless. My legs want to float. When coming up from the bottom of a pool ..I do "rise" ..but once I break the surface my face is struggling to stay out of the water. If it was rough seas or something ..without a life jacket ...I'm gone. Now my wife /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif ...like a blowup raft. Toes out of the water and all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts