Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OT--Diesel engine ran out of fuel, won\'t start now

It's a 3cyl diesel in my Cub Cadet 7205. I filled the tank back up (it was bone dry!) and now it just cranks and cranks. Do I need to bleed the system? If so, how. Loosen the nuts at the injectors and then crank? Or just loosen the nuts and retighten them before cranking?
Any help is appreciated! I need to finish bush hogging!!
big ed

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,35's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Re: OT--Diesel engine ran out of fuel, won\'t start now

Yeah, you need to bleed the system. When a diesel runs out of fuel it airlocks.
Loosen the nuts on the injectors only a LITTLE bit, not too much and crank until
you get fuel flowing from them.

Wayne

G

·

Yup, gotta bleed the injectors. Loosen the fuel lines at the injector, apply full throttle, crank engine until fuel leaks out of the lines. Then tighten the fuel lines and see if the engine will start. If not start over. If so loosen the lines one at a time, listen for the rpm drop and stumble, retighten.

72 CJ-5: 305 Chevy; SM420; D-300; 30/44 with 5.38's, Warn axles, and Detroits

·
Registered
6,394 Posts

/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif Why yew naughty boy you! Runnin' outa diesel is a major fo-pah as you NOW know. I ran the GM 5.7L automotive diesels fer years, and the then-wife was real good at runnin' outa fuel. On those types it was pretty easy. There is a bleeder fitting on the injection pump body that you open, and then use the hand pump lever (if provided) to operate the fuel transfer (primary) pump and pump the injection body full. I suspect that your Yannie has a lever on the primary fuel pump for just that very purpose. MOST of the modern diesels will self-purge the injectors themselves once you get the injection pump filled and free of air. Don't get crazy here and burn up the starter, whatever you do. If it isn't catching.....QUIT! Also, you can cheat and use WD-40. Give it a sniff in the intake and it will fire up and help get that fuel moving thruogh the system. NEVER use commercial diesel starting fluid. WD is gentle, oily, and safe for your engine. Don't use much, it doesn't TAKE much. WD is oil with a propane carrier./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Quadra-Trac Team./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
4,767 Posts

Older cub cadet Desils were actualy made by yanmar. If so, you have to bleed it at the governor, pump and the injectors to get fire... CJDave had a good point as well. WD 40 works sometimes, But Dont crank it too long, as the starter will suffer or worse than that your pump.. Yanmar Generic pumps run 320$$ for a rebuilt one.. After you do that once you wont forget to check the desil fuel again... On the up side. If it is a yanmar engine you can buy yanmar parts that are conciderably cheaper than Cub Cadet... Of course the cub dealer wil probably say YAN what....

Any questions let me know, I have worked on a bunch of them..

97 TJ 31's and mostly stock but seeing what I can do about that..

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

This Cub has a Mitsubishi diesel in it. I'm going out to look the fuel system over and try to find this primary pump thing to prime the system, will also loosen the lines to the injectors. Man, I didn't realize this would be such a PITA!!! This tractor will never have less than half a tank of diesel again!
Thanks for the help!
big ec

·
Registered
7,958 Posts

That little thing should be fairly easy to prime. It was a major PITA on a 125KW generator, we used to remove the fuel filter (not the bowl), and hand pump the deisel using a small onboard plunger pump. It was a major priority to keep fuel in it after that.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

·
Registered
646 Posts

The mitsu diesels should have a bleeder screw on the side of the injection pump. Also fill the fuel filter with diesel and only crank the starter for 15 minutes at a time. Allow the starter to cool for atleast a minute between cranks.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

She's runnin' now!
There were two bleeder screws on the glass bowl in the rear and then one more right at the pump itself. There was no priming necessary. This thing has an inline electric pump right after the glass bowl that pumps when the key is in the on position, pretty cool I thought.
Thanks for all the pointers!
big ed

·
Registered
6,394 Posts

/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif Why thet's too darned easy! You didn't SUFFER enough, and yew prob'ly don't even smell like diesel fuel!/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Quadra-Trac Team./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·

I used to work on Bobcats and New Hollands with the Perkins diesels...one guy used to run it dry all the times...i got so fed up with him, i started charging him to bleed it, even though he was a good customer. He made sure to keep it full from that point on....it wasn't all that hard, it was just a matter of knowing which fittings to crack in which order, and when to hit the starter, but still, its impossible to get that diesel smell and feel off your hands!!!!

mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)

·
Registered
6,394 Posts

/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif Heh heh heh.....anyone who has run road diesels knows about TOUCHING THE HOSE on the diesel pump when you fuel up. For some reason the fuel gets into the surface rubber of the hose and partially denatures it so that it leaves black on your hands which is IMPOSSIBLE to get off. I get a kick out of Mercedes-Benz drivers who have to stop at Lem's Greasy Wheel truck stop for fuel and they don't have the special gloves that us diesel guys stick behind the saddle tank that we use to fuel up. Sometimes if it is a nice gal and she's not snooty I'll loan out my gloves./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Besides, chicks look cute with huge gloves on those little hands./wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Just call me a dirty old man/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

G

·

In my line of work as a heavy equipment operator if you run out of fuel once you get a hard time. Do it twice and you're usually gone. Most Cat equipment doesn't even have a guage just a dipstick in the filler neck. I always check oil before start and fuel while the engine is warming up. If I don't have enough for the day I put out the call for fuel right then.

72 CJ-5: 305 Chevy; SM420; D-300; 30/44 with 5.38's, Warn axles, and Detroits

1 - 13 of 13 Posts