Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got a husquvarna 350 chain saw and we can't get it started for the life of us. we turn it on pull out the choke, push the decompression valve, put the chain brake on and pull the cord and then after a couple pulls will try pushing the choke back in but it still won't start. I think we have been flooding it we've taken it in tiwce and both times they have just cleaned a little gas out and said it's good to go but when ever we go to pick it up the people that are at the hardware store arn't the ones that know chain saws and really offer no help besides reading what ever not was left on it. Some one help me out it's killing me not being able to start this dam thing.

Thanks,
BarrelRoll

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I thought the chain brake shut the engine off? Normally, it's in the forward position, but when the chain comes back at you it's supposed to slap the brake and shut the engine down. Make sure it's forward when you try to start it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
A couple of things....

You are using 2-stroke oil mixed into the gas... right.....

Does it have one of those rubber priming buttons on the side of the carb or something like that? You may have to prime the fuel system some till you can feel some resistance in the little rubber button. That tells you there is fuel in the line.

First, you leave the choke fully closed till it pops and sputters a couple of times. It will try to run, but won't be able to. It will go really slow and cough a bunch. DON'T STOP TILL IT POPS AND SPUTTERS. This means you have gas in the engine.

Then put the choke on half and nurse it along till it is warmed up a little. Then take the choke completely off and it should speed up considerably.

If this is a new saw, it might take a while till it is really happy. Just like any other engine made, it needs to break in properly. This usually means running a little more 2-stroke oil in the gas mixture than usual.

Best regards

John

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
AllLockedUp, the chain brake needs to be pulled back not forward. So pull the brake back towards the handle and then make sure you prime it. Follow the instructions given here on how to start it with the choke. If you think you have flooded it, pull the spark plug out and pull the cord a few times to clear out the cylinder. If you do take it to the store to have them fix it again make them show you that it runs. If they can't show you that then they haven't fixed the problem.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Hmmm...I've only used a chainsaw once (I hate the things, nasty creatures!), but I thought that the brake needed to be towards the chain to start. Maybe I've got it backwards.

G

·
If it's a new 350, I'm pretty sure there's no primer bulb on it. Also, be sure the kill switch is in the right position (to the left?).

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
The way the brake works is that when you have it pulled away from the chain it is closer to your hands. If the saw were to kick back towards you the brake would hit your wrist and pop towards the blade stopping the blade from spinning. I hope that makes sense. Its a great invention that has saved my arms on a few occasions.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Nope - makes perfect sense now. I was thinking about it in a different way.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have to huskys and they all start good,one starts after a few pulls and the other one is slugish. Pull the brake handle to you so the brake is off and turn the switch to on and pull the choke out and lock the triger, pull it a few times, then push the choke in and try some more. If it does not start pick the saw up and squease the triger all the way down and hole it while you pull the recoil again a few times and it will start. Huskys run on a 50:1 gas/oil mix. I would bet you that this will work. I know that it will not start very good if the triger is not locked on. If some one else has had it running then you are doing something wrong, make sure the saw is turned on all the way. If you still cant start the saw have a budy come over that has a saw and let him show you how to start it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Let us know if this works. Try the standing up with your hand on the trigger and pull start it with the other. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Mine is the same as yours but I do not have the decomp. Mine just put in the 50:1 mixed fuel, pull the choke all the way out pull the cord until it tries to start (usualy twice) then push it all the way in. Pull again and give it some gas and it runs great. My boss has the one with the decomp and he says if he uses it it tends to flood.

·
Registered
393 Posts
keep in mind that old gas will not work as well. If the gas in the chain saw has been in there for along time, then it will gum up the carb. I bought a chain saw last fall for 15 bucks because it wouldnt run. I cleaned the carb, and its run like a top ever since!
TJ

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.