Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to tap into the huge body of knowledge and experience that is manifested in this BBS. I'll apologize in advance for the length of this post. My 94 four-banger YJ's suspension is stock, save for Rancho RS5000s and RE swaybar disconnects and releaseable track bar. My 31's rub badly at full compression; consequently, I've decided to lift it but I don't want to lift it any more than is necessary, to keep the CG as low as possible. I also never intend to run tires over 32 inches. As an aside, I plan to install a SYE in conjunction with the suspension. My questions then are how much lift do I REALLY need and whose suspension system do you recommend? I'm trying to stay open-minded, even in light of the various knocks that I've read against Pro-Comp and, in some cases, RE. Ride quality is not a major concern, as long as it isn't much worse than stock. Also, given that I'm not overburdened with large amounts of engine power, I try to keep my Jeep as light as possible. By the way, I'm only considering a conventional upgrade - SOA's and coil conversions are more trouble and expense than I care to go through. Thanks for your help.

Texas Mojo /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
94 YJ, 2.5, AX5, 231, 4.11s w/EZLockers, 31/10.50R15 BFG MTs

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
well i have had a pro comp 4" lift and loved it.. very soft and flexy.. people must keep in mind that you need to break in new lifts.. a friend of mine is running a skyjacker softride.. and that is really really soft.. 4" of lift with it also. sye? what is that.. im slow with yj's.. but with 4" you could run 33" tires.. but if you dont want anything bigger than 32's then you could go with a 2.5" lift.. never dealt with them.

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SYE=Slip Yoke Eliminator I don't want to lower my transfer case. It doesn't make sense to me to gain clearance by raising the Jeep only to give some back by dropping the T-case.

Texas Mojo /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
94 YJ, 2.5, AX5, 231, 4.11s w/EZLockers, 31/10.50R15 BFG MTs

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
If you use a bolt-on shackle-reversal like the one from Full-Traction for $280 you will get 2" of lift, a better ride, and better handling. Then you can choose which 2.5" rear springs you want (I went with Old Man Emu for the ride) or perhaps do a 3/4 elliptical conversion and use a 1" lift shackle in the rear. With no trac bars or sway bars my stock suspension maxed the shocks and brake lines. Goodridge makes excellent braided stainless steel brake lines 4-inches longer-than-stock that cost me $98 for all 3 from Quadratec. This isn't your standard-fare suspension lift, but its nice to know you've got options.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love the rear black diamond springs, but the front... well, they're still stiff.

I am running 33's with a total of 4.125" of lift (3.5" spring & 3/8" shackle)... the front is fine, but the rear tires rub the fender flares and wheel wells. I am (eventually) going with a 1" body lift, shackle reversal, etc... so... I guess you'll need at least 4" of lift for 32's...

Jon - YJ94
http://www.obsessiveoffroad.com
Drive it till you break it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.