Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a knock on my door at 10:00pm last night. At the door were two Marines, soaked from the pouring rain and obviously in some distress. They told me about their pickup that they had just flipped over on the side of a hill, and wanted to know if I could flip it back onto its wheels. I got dressed for the occasion and started my Jeep, got my next door neighbor and his Jeep, and off the 4 of us went.

He told us the appoximate location and we decided to go in the back way. We traveled off the pavement, off the gravel road, off the utility road, and onto a trail. It was then I started to get suspicious. The rain was intense, and the ground was like Teflon coated greased owl poop by this time. We decided to hike in and see the situation, rather than risk getting two more vehicles tangled up. After a 10 minute walk, we found a 6 hour old Ford F-150 extended cab 4x4 on its side in the bottom of an 8 foot deep ditch at the bottom of a 30 foot gully! The Marine wanted to see how his new rig would do in the mud. The trail he went in on was solid for the first two hills, but after cresting the third hill, the ground broke loose from under his tires. (This is where the four wheeling begins on a dry summer day by the way.) He slid down to the bottom of the gully, just missing the natural bridge and flipped into the ditch. The truck balanced on its side and had a small two foot deep stream ran underneath the front quarter panel. The front wheel even with the top of the ditch, and the back wheel was sticking about 3 foot higher than the ditch.

After looking at the situation and much having a much heated argument between myself and my gung-ho neighbor whom I have broke a 30,000lb tow strap on, we decided that this was the job for a 4x4 wrecker with at least a 200' winch and not for two CJ7's! I congratulated the Marine on his fresh kill and his accomplishment of entering one of the world's most elite groups of off-roaders: Those who total or almost total their brand spanking new "off the lot" truck while four wheeling less than a half of day after purchase. Unfortunately, none of us had a camera. This one was in every mag for sure!

The wrecker finally came. Since the Marine was not that far off the hardball via a powerline, the tow truck went that route instead of ours. He was able to wench the Ford from the ditch, but the operator buried his own rig in the mud with the force that was generated from pulling it out. A full size Chevy with 44x15.5's came up the same way the tow truck did, and stayed on the other side of the crest of the hill. He was able to put a tow strap on the Ford and jerked it over the crest of the hill. It took a second larger than full size 4x4 wrecker to get the stuck full size 4x4 wrecker out. The damage to the Ford is pretty intense for a brand new truck. The front door is caved in as well as the rear cab panel. The driver's side window shattered on impact, the driver's side mirror was severely damaged, the front of the truck was somewhat bent, the driver's side of the gap between the cab and the bed is about 1/2 inch wider than the passenger side, and there are several smaller dents along the entire driver's side. This is the visible damage. Needless to say he can't buff it out!

This is the worst off-road blunder I have actually seen in real life in almost 13 years of wheeling!

Liberals don't mind being lied to . . . they just want to be lied to by someone they trust!

· Registered
4,757 Posts
i was stuck in my cj-7 once( ok more than once), but on this occasion... about 6 years ago. i had gone into a very deep mud hole.. the kind that is sooo deep the starter won't even kick over.. i was about to pull out the winch when i guy in a brand spanking new chevy exteneded cab pulled up and wanted to free my stuck jeep, well.. any wear and tear i can save on my winch is good with me, so i let him hook a strap to my rear bumper....now this is a REAL bumper.. the kind that will rip the frame apart before it lets loose.. and he hooked the other end of his untested, indestructable tow strap to his tow point.. well.. i was down in the hole and he was pulling up hill.. no joy.. i was stuck good... i told him we should just use my winch, but he wasn't about to accept his brand new Z-71 couldn't get me out, so he gives it some slack and POW..more slack.POW....even more... this time, the hook on the end of the strap straightens out, comes off my jeep, and imbeds itself INTO the cab of the chevy, .. since he was pulling uphill, it just cleared the tailgate and hit just under the rear window and left a hole the size of my fist.. that could have killed either of us...ever see a winch cable break?? it was worse than that.. when i was on the aircraft carrier, one of the arresting cables broke and sliced a man in half.. i believe a winch cable could do the same thing... now I'm rambling........

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.