Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
out of the original plug wires. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Every year or so I clean them, spray them with silicone, and work silicone grease into the boots. A couple of weeks ago I was doing the maintenance when I noticed that some mung had gotten into one of the plug boots. In trying to clean it out with a paper towel on my little finger I split the boot. Time for a new big cap, rotor and wires. I guess I got my money's worth out of the old ones. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
655 Posts
You never cease to amaze me with the care you take of your jeep. Heck your plug wires are damn near as old as I am.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Well $hit they are older then me. Hopfuly the new ones hold up as well. On my last new plug wires one started to swell and split after about 300 miles.

·
Registered
391 Posts
ROFL Best plug wires ever!! what brand were they?

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[ QUOTE ]
what brand were they?

[/ QUOTE ]

AMC brand. You can still see the AMC logo in a few places. That's how I know they're the original parts. I'd never trust my memory over 28 years. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
391 Posts
damn! we cant get those anymore...and they laugh at me when I go to the chrysler dealer because I still have a french tranny. Even though technically being an 88 It was after the takeover that my Jeep was built it still has no chrysler or amc markings on it. I am a Jeep owner without a home lol

·
Registered
391 Posts
I meant to add that my chrysler dealer swears up and down that I'm the only one left in the world with a french tranny lol

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
They domt make things like the old days... I bet you will never find a set to last that long.

·
Registered
484 Posts
hey jim, how many miles on that jeep o' yours anyhow?

want a good laugh, go to a dealer and ask for parts for a '74 CJ.....they thought it was funny/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif so did i

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I bet you will never find a set to last that long.

[/ QUOTE ]

My plan is to care for the new ones the same way. I got silicone insulated wires, and if they don't last longer I'll be disappointed. Check back with me in 2034 and see how they're doing. Let's see, I'll be 88 then. Hope I'm still driving it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what brand were they?

[/ QUOTE ]

AMC brand. You can still see the AMC logo in a few places. That's how I know they're the original parts. I'd never trust my memory over 28 years. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

dang, talk about matching numbers! could they be worth anything to an AMC restorer?

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[ QUOTE ]
could they be worth anything to an AMC restorer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well maybe, except for the split plug boot. Anyone who wants them is welcome to them. I have enough junk around that I'm trying to get rid of.

And along the same lines, it's still wearing its original, came from the factory wiper blades. I give them the same silicone spray treatment. Also I use Rain-X and almost never use the wipers. They're getting a little raggedy, but with a good coat of Rain-X they still clear well enough.

·
Registered
410 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
my Jeep was built it still has no chrysler or amc markings on it. I am a Jeep owner without a home lol

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm willing to bet that the fuse panel behind the pedals has the AMC logo. My 95 has one.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
28 1/2 years for you to get around to spending anything on the little Jeep, Shame On You! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

You can buy one wire at a time from most of the 'Auto-Jerks' stores or I can send you a plug wire, I have tons of extras from upgrades around here... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Do you think you can order just 'ONE' boot from Chrysler?
Or will you have to buy the entire wire? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
875 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
out of the original plug wires. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Every year or so I clean them, spray them with silicone, and work silicone grease into the boots. A couple of weeks ago I was doing the maintenance when I noticed that some mung had gotten into one of the plug boots. In trying to clean it out with a paper towel on my little finger I split the boot. Time for a new big cap, rotor and wires. I guess I got my money's worth out of the old ones. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Most all Jeep/(ster) owners are known for being "frugal" but I think you just might hold the title...for being the "Most Frugal Jeep Owner!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You deserve a trophy!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just kidding around with you! I'm definitely impressed!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

28 1/2 years for you to get around to spending anything on the little Jeep, Shame On You! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

You can buy one wire at a time from most of the 'Auto-Jerks' stores or I can send you a plug wire, I have tons of extras from upgrades around here... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Do you think you can order just 'ONE' boot from Chrysler?
Or will you have to buy the entire wire? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

can't you just silicon the rip and continue to use the wires? it should be cheaper.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts