Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTDT, the biggest problem is that you have to run another part on your engines belt system. Image your engine with factory air, converted A/C pump for onboard air, and a second alternator.............
Personally, I don't have A/C and am planning on this mod over the winter. Along with a cheap home made under hood shower that I found a write up on in a mag. (Don't remember which one)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well the premire unit does have a lot of advantages, such as 115 supply and variable amperage, however I have an alternator I am going to use for this, I figure on setting it up to replace the one on the jeep, I'll run the jeep off the battery while I am welding, it won't last as long as the premire unit will, however if you could gat a big enough variable resistor you could vary the current.
I know how bad the cost is for a store bought unit, you could cut costs even more if you use jumper cables to connect to the welder (you do have those right? and the best hood to use would be made from leather not a hard one, they would just get beaten up wheeling.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen that one too, but it's still 4-5 times the price. And for those who prefer to build it themselves, or don't have the $$$ to spend............ it's still out of their league.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can get a box for about $50 from NAPA that will do all the stuff for you so that you can weld
with an alt. and run 115V accesories ...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What are you talking about? Clue us in.... I'd gladly put up the $50 to get a welder and be able to run 115V accy.s. Is this like the Premier Power box? Is it 115V DC like theirs or is it true AC current? Your not just talking about a power inverter, are you? Give us more info!! Thanks, and Happy Jeepin'!

-Spyder

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey you could just use a pair of batteries in series to weld with you know? or some places can sell you a 24 volt battery that will support welding currents for a short period of time, probably the ultimate cheap way to do it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah what up with that, a $50 box from NAPA? I heard of the 24V battery and the 3 batteries in series
but I like the alt idea myself. Preach preacher and let us know what the deal is?

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
now you guys have got me thinking, this box from NAPA, could you give up the part # or something like that, this sounds like a project/modification i would really like to do myself. i'm going to start researching this tomorrow.

3/4tonYJ
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif'89YJ,4.3/th350/np231/8-lug,44/60

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif The big sticker in all this is.....when you DO break something out in the sticks, and have to weld it up to get home, it is usually some wierd spot where a mere 1" of weld can be applied, and it had better be good. THAT's THE PROBLEM. If you get a dinky, get-by, on-board powerless welder, CAN YOU DO IT? Sometimes it can require some penetration, and you don't have much area to weld around the block on to build up a little heat. PLUS, you need to be GOOD with your welder, whatever you have so you are not experimenting in the dirt somewhere on a critical weld. BELIEVE ME, welding off a service truck (or in this case your Jeep) is not like a bench job in the shop. I have put a zillion hours on portables, welding pipeline as well as under some greasy, dirty, equipment, working hard to get a weld where there was no room, no clean material, crud everywhere, and torn parts to sew back together. If it was up to me, I think I would go for a combination alternator setup and have it high frequency AC (120Hz). I used a Miller Roughneck for years, which was AC hi-frek and liked it for general service truck use. /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif Hey Panther, I have the answer to your welder question. Go to robo's site, and click on "portable welder". It's really good, and DIRT CHEAP. On the way home today, look for garage sales...you are going to need another lawn mower./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
But Dave it will need a bigger set of tires and wheels to follow along behind the Jeep./wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Jim

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif That's good....that's very good./wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif And to think I almost sold my mower at a garage sale./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.