Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2,795 Posts
In reply to:

Doing a litle surfing this mornign before evryone gets up and came acrodd this link on the machinest forum I belong too.. nice simple writeup..
onbaord welder

[/ QUOTE ]
get up a litle too early this mornign? You better fix these typos before Daxe sees them

(thanks for the link by the way, wildweasel and I were talking about OBW's yesterday)

· Registered
116 Posts
thats all good BUT when removing teh regulator like done in the article there is the possibility of runaway voltage which will cause serous damage to your truck like Fire..also there probally wont be much longevity to this setup I think.The alt. was not designed to run at those higher voltages like that I think it will burn up the armature in a short time....

· Registered
3,450 Posts
Rockrat gets a pass on spelling. Aside from the errors being fixed before I found them, that kinda talent can get you a slide through a lot of stuff.

Plus, I am aiming to buy a family style cage from the guy before the years end. Probably not the best idea to dis someone with whom you're planning to do business...

~daxe

· Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep disd spelling = poor welds LOL. As long as you are not wired into the truck I would not think it would be to much of a problem.. you are just using the truck to spin it. I think it is just a crude setup like a the big boys of the market have. You could add alot to it and define the process (ie) rpm control etc.

· Registered
770 Posts
Great article.
Has anyone seen the one that still functions as an alt. and can weld also?
I saw it last year but can't find it now.

· Registered
116 Posts
its got to pick up power from somewhere wouldnt that be the truck? alt. has to have voltage to start working now if a GEN. was used it could be seperate from the truck.and RPM really wouldnt matter speed doesnt regulate voltage it would regulate load.

Scott so hows your rig coming I got mine on one leg got to do the right rear and the back will be done...

· Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The alternator is what give the power it just has to spin to make it. Your battery only is ther to get it started. Thats why a car will continue to run if you disconnect the battery after it is started.

AS far as my Rig the front links are complete and I cycled it through the curve and it all looks good so far. I hope to start back on it as soon as mothers day is done. I may have to hold off a day or two though. We have 6 full cages that need to be finished + a set of currie axles we are modding for a zuk. High clearance them new pads, 44 knuckles and hi-steer. along with the adapters and x-members i can not keep instock.. Buisness is very good this month. Next month may be another story but we will take it when it is here.

· Registered
3,041 Posts
In reply to:

The alternator is what give the power it just has to spin to make it. Your battery only is ther to get it started. Thats why a car will continue to run if you disconnect the battery after it is started.

[/ QUOTE ]
i HIGHLY suggest not trying that on any newer vehicle.

· Registered
116 Posts
In reply to:

In reply to:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]
and the regulator is what keeps it from voltage runaway,take it out of the loop and it will exponentially increase.

· Registered
10,738 Posts
Ollder cars yes -- with a generator.

Alternators don't like that. Neither do computers or other electronics devices.

But the test is valid -- take the battery cable off, if it quits running the alternator's bad -- it may not have been before, but it is now!

Sometimes you can get away with it, sometimes not --- Russian Roulette!

The welder's a separate circuit - shouldn't hurt anything unless you strike it on the electrical system.

· Registered
1,972 Posts
one thing I have read on this is that you should wire the on / off switch on your stinger lead so it is hot only when needed

BECAUSE the output of this setup can kill you it is different from most shop welders if you touch the welding rod and the ground you get zaped

this setup can also at the right rpm be used to power 110 volt tools but will burn out the switch on variable speed devices (drills)

more welders and info

http://www.zena.net/htdocs/Map.shtml#Top
http://www.huv.com/jon/jeep/Welder/on-board-welder.html

welder swichable between alternator and welder as well as 110 out put
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/on-boardwelder/

· Registered
10,738 Posts
110 volt tools? Most tools need 110 AC, not low voltage DC.
Good way to ruin your tools.
Remember the alternator is a rectified 3 phase generator in a "Y" configuration.

IF you rewire the alternator - removing the diodes to make it AC and then rewire the windings so they are in series you can make it 110 volts AC, but it's no longer a welder like that.
And most tools need around 60 cycles - more than about 10% off of that they'll overheat and burn up. The 60 cycles is dependant on engine RPM - it has to be set at the right speed -- and you need a frequency meter to measure it.

As a welder as the articles portray it, about the max voltage it should put out is about 35 volts -- and that's DC!. You may feel 35 volts slightly, but it won't hurt you.

· Registered
1,972 Posts
I dont curently know where the link went but I had one that showed how to bypass the regulator on a ford type alternator using 1 or 2 dtdp switches acording to the websight just like the pirate link the setup was capable of producing 110+ volts dc it did say that not all tolls would work and some such as variable speed drill it would burn out the switch (the premier power welder has a 110 plug that puts out 110 volts dc so tools are being used this way)priemer power welder faq http://www.premierpowerwelder.com/about/aboutppw.html#FAQ
I have actually built one of the weldernators i built tested it but never built a real bracket to mount it to the motor oba was more important I didnt ever test the output voltage so you could be right about it putting out low voltage most of these articals are showing around 20 volts at load but around 100 at no load

more teck
http://www.4crawler.com/Welding/alternator.txt
Homemade Tig Welder
http://www.classicbroncos.com/homemade-welder.shtml

· Registered
558 Posts
This is just add on to make the welder out of it. It not use to charge the vehicle that it on. I have a 80 amp that works that way, work good with 1/16 or 3/32 6013 rod. Takes some getting use to it. I running it off a 18 hp garden tractor. I keep it at about 28 volts. The diode retifier do care to much for voltage over 30 volt. Some said that 35 volts you dont feel much, it at the volts that hurt you it the amps.

· Registered
4 Posts
Rockrat gets a pass on spelling. Aside from the errors being fixed before I found them, that kinda talent can get you a slide through a lot of stuff.

Plus, I am aiming to buy a family style cage from the guy before the years end. Probably not the best idea to dis someone with whom you're planning to do business...

~daxe

mobile welder atlanta
I recently got back from an overland trip where someone had installed an on-board welder to their Mercedes bus. The set up came in handy several times throughout the trip for welding back a broken hitch, an A-frame for towing, fixing a broken roof rack, etc.. I have been looking around and can't seem to find any on-board welder instructions that I trust. Does anyone have any pictures, plans, or advice that they would be willing to share?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts