Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Yep, you could do that. Lessee.....I'm trading in my air conditioning for on board air?....??? Yep, sounds like blasphemy to me!/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Are you nuts? Out here on the Jest Coast we KILL for A/C./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif It would be clean and easy, but it IS blasphemy. Oh, and one more thing....you could use the A/C SYSTEM as your tank. Heck, why not...it holds quite a bit./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

· Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif SL, you are a great contributor to this forum, so I won't give you the "go back and find it" routine. Instead, I will give this valuable info out ONE MO TIME. What you do is remove the target accessory off the engine, be it an alternator, an A/C compressor, an air pump, or whatever..and you mount a nice 9.2 Cu In York in it's place. Mount it vertical, and make some real good sturdy brackets. Get a York which has two pulley grooves, and line one groove up with the existing belt drive which previously drove your accessory. THEN....using the convenient (unused)bolt hole pattern on the side of the York, you mount the accessory BACK ON THE ENGINE and drive it with the unused pulley groove on the York....sort of a satellite drive setup, like the early CJs do with the air pump off the pwr steering...using a short belt. I first did this in 1970, when I slapped A/C in a '67 MGB roadster. Off came the Lucas generator...on went a 6 Cu In York....back went the Generator on the outside of the York...looked like it came that way. AIR in an MG??? Hey, I had an unexpected move to Fresno CA...what else could I do? Fry?/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

· Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Oops! I wuz afraid of that......DRAT! That really complicates the whole process. You may be able to modify the York pulley by machining it away and and welding on a serpentine-type groove, and then convert the alternator back to v-style to satellite drive it from the remaining v-groove on the York. Just a thought./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif It is usually necessary to stare at the engine in the Jeep or whatever vehicle for at least an hour before you can scheme up a good plan, but there is USUALLY a way to do it./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave

· Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Any one of the A/C compressors out there will make power tool pressure. I believe we had ours set 95 to 125.....on at 95, off at 125....using the SqD pressure switch that is normally used for shop compressors. We had the most trouble keeping up when we were using a solvent gun than when we were running the impact tool. The engine was never over 1400 RPM. The trick is to locate a York with a fairly small pulley. Lots of Fords use small drive pulleys (Torinos). I always mounted the compressor and then scabbed the alternator onto that because the alternators are smooth, whereas the compressors are rough, so having the York close to the engine and secure was important. We made the add-on alternator brackets with some swing to them for belt adjustment. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif How about this:....you make a nice dual mount, alternator and compressor together; run the alternator with the stock serpentine belt; then weld a v-groove pulley on the outside of the alternator pulley and satellite drive the compressor. The compressor will help balance the side load on the alternator shaft; the alternator won't even know it's there./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif The problem here is that I have never even SEEN under the hood of a late Jeepie Jeep, other than our ZJ 4.0. I guess I had better open the hood and stare at it for a while. Who knows? /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif The Jeepie Jeeps can't be much different than our Grand Cherokee as long as they have the 4.0/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Guess I'd better do my homework/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif.

CJDave

· Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Had a scant few minutes yesterday and popped the hood on the ZJ 4.0 to scope out the accessory array, and I have to tell you that DOUG97TJ is NOT going to find a good spot for a bigger PS pump. The engineer that developed that intake manifold mount probably had a big smile THINKING that he had just devised the "ideal" setup....which it IS...except that the pump is too feeble, and unfortunately, higher output in hydraulic pumps is a function of WIDTH. Right below THAT is the tension idler....reverse rotation....so not much potential there. On the other side (RH) is a space below the alt which DOES have potential for an air pump if it were the cylindrical type and was driven off a pulley welded to the alternator existing pulley. For hydraulic-drive winches on the TJ 4.0, it looks like a "wet kit" is the best way to go....IF you have a PTO door on the main box. Sometimes these things call for "different" solutions./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

· Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Uh....John. I clicked on that sucker and it only gave me the coverpage? Wot did I NOT do?/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

· Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Actually, we DID that Dan. It worked OK. We were so aprehensive about the installation that we actually put spring-loaded idlers on BOTH the drive side and the driven side of the belt to give it some moveability. We also snugged up the engine mounts real good. We ended up letting the side belt pull the alternator and keep the main belt tension that way. A crazy setup, but well.....we wanted air real bad./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.