Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a front bumper with 1/8" steel strong enough to hold 150 psi? This would be an ideal location, but I do not have the skills to know what metal holds what pressure..I would like to get an air tank, but I do not have any idea where to mount one. I was given a suggestion of a steel tube mounted along the frame. Any help would be appreciated.

Ricky...seeya...
1979 CJ-7 401 T18

G

·
How much air are you really going to be able to hold at 150 psi? I have a CO2 tank and love it. It's pressurized to about 1200-1600 psi of liquid. Thats enough air for a LONG time. Only costs about $14 to have it refilled. It beats worrying about a compresser and tank. Try a welding place if interested. Tank and regulator should be about $125. Not $299 like some adds.

My 2 cents

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
tongue] CO2 is the gas of choice for carry-on air supplies because the gas is so elastic. It just keeps on giving./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
I made a front bumper and capped the ends along with a 1/4" tap. Then ran the air line to it and have had no problems. Just
make sure that you test it in a safe maner prior to installing it on the jeep. I think the 1/8" would be fine but you may have the opportunity to bash the bumper on a few rocks... So I went thicker to avoid any problems... You can check out the truck dismantelers and use one of the air
tanks from their vehicles. Mine is mounted on the underside above the rear diff area. Good Luck! Goose

82CJ5 Laredo

·
Registered
153 Posts
Would there be anything wrong with filling his bumper with CO2? Might be a pretty frosty leak if the bumper gets bashed, but is there anything dangerous with it?

Brit
85 CJ7

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Here is the reality of this trick, guys; and for you too, Jeepchicks. Mechanical tube shapes like square tube and rectangular tube are made to be just that.....MECHANICAL tubing...not pressure vessels. The weld is not really made for that kind of separating force, and there is no testing done because of that. This is simply playing Russian Roulette....either it will hold, or it will blow and well..../wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif It's a calculated risk. A heavy wall tube would offer slightly increased protection, but the key word here is "slightly". Didja ever wonder why so many air compressor tanks have those two plugs on the side of the tanks near the ends that nobody ever seems to have any use for? Well, those are INSPECTION holes for the IN-SPECT-TORE to look in there and see how the shell is welded to the tank ends. And didja ever wonder why tanks are always curved on the ends? That is because if you use flat plate, the pressure can bend it outward and begin separating the weld. Heavy pressure tanks always use a tank end which is like a BBQ....curved with sides which mate to the tank shell with a butt weld. That is so the separating forces will pull the weld, not get a lever on it and bend it. Go to a diesel truck wrecking yard or an air compressor place and look for a genuine pressure-capable tank. All of us on the BBS would just hate to hear about a terrible Jeep accident involving an air tank, like the incident in AZ where the guys were using one of those US Navy surplus round buoys for a water pressure tank, and when the pump pressure reached 75 the top ripped off and killed one guy's teenage son who was standing right there./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gifBelieve me, I've been Joe Junkyard most of my life, but I have a healthy respect for high pressure air in a confined space. Does the term "bomb" bring anything to mind?/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

·
Registered
153 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gifGadzooks!! You know a bunch of stuff Dave. If that kinda stuff happens then reality better hit quick for the manufacturers who are touting air storage in bumpers and all. Makes you wonder what a rock can do to a storage tank under the Jeep/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif.

Brit
85 CJ7

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif At least the rock damage would be down and under where the blowout would be dusty, but harmless. As for the bumpers, they would have to be using some specially welded tube to risk it. Otherwise you'd see a Jacoby & Meyers mobil unit at each rockcrawl event./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
153 Posts
I bought the Bulletproof rear bumper. It is supposedly tested for leaks, but now I wonder how well it can hold pressure and remain safe./wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif I would like to have a York and store the air in the bumper but haven't got to it yet (the York) Pardon my ignorance, but is a Jacoby and Meyers a portable compressor? I just know you have some ideas on the air and running tools etc don't you Dave?/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Brit
85 CJ7

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for telling me what I needed to hear! I really need to get a certified tank and mount it under the jeep where it can be protected. Think I may just hold off 'till the right tank comes along, then start the project...Thanks again for the best advise.

Ricky...seeya...
1979 CJ-7 401 T18

G

·
I was just in the auto parts store and I saw a conversion kit for a 20 gal. propane (type for a grill) tank to and air tank. It was 30.00 would this be ok or would it be another missle waiting to happen. Just wondering,I have 3 tanks at the house I can use.

Lunatic
From the land time forgot

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Jacoby & Meyers is the shyster lawyer outfit/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif that is always advertising on TV. They are such bloodsuckers that Jacoby even sued Meyers./wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif They wait like buzzards for something to happen then swoop in and sue everybody. I keep wondering how God will view his "chosen" people doing that as a livlihood./wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif Just wondered....heh heh../wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif.......With regards to air tools and on-board air, I just have to say that I have put a zillion hours on York compressors using them on service rigs and well repair rigs to provide tool and cleanup air. They do a great job. We are equipping our CJ with a York for auxillary air. The tank will be under the floor directly behind the transfer case. Our Quadra-Trac drops out to the right with BOTH outputs so there isn't a thing behind the top edge of the transfer case./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
742 Posts
z50k2, what is your intended use? Are you planing on running tools or just airing up tires? The reason I ask is becouse I run a York on my CJ without a tank and have all the air I need. I would like to add a tank to run tools, but for tires you don't have to have one. I have aired up four sets of tires in a row with no problem, hell I'v reseated several beeds all without a tank. All I have is a switch in on the dash, a filter on the intake, a seperator on the out side and a 100psi pop-off valve to keep the presure and stress down on the York.

Just my .02
Good Luck.

My first Jeep was a CH-47 "Chinook"
83 CJ5 4.2 t176 300 4.56 33s

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Domed end Cylinder tanks, DOT approved for air.
Any large truck parts dealer.
Class 6,7 and 8 trucks and trailers all use a compact air tanks in sizes from 1 gallon to 70 gallons.
Very reasonably priced, made of good quality steel, already have the threaded gussets welded in for drain valves and hoses, and have mounting brackets already welded on...
One is mounted with pit pins and air chucks, so I can disconnect it and carry it where ever...
I think I gave $12 for a three gallon tank.

I use an industrial 12 volt electric compressor an a pair of three gallon tanks mounted under the body.
The compressor will fill the 6 gallon tanks to 125 psi in about three minutes, and can be mounted anywhere you can get a 12 ga wire to.
The two tanks will let me bang away with a 1/2" impact wrench for about one solid minute before the pressure drops enough it's not doing much good...
I can run my cutoff tool, air drill or air rachet just about as much as I want to, but they are pretty low volume...

If Chris Columbus "Discovered" America (with 25 million already here), Can I Go "Discover" Florida?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wildcj5, I really don't know what I will do with it. Kinda like those tools I got at Sears. Never know 'till you need it. I probably will use the air to fill tires. I figure if I need air for tools, my jeep has already broken down and the engine isn't going to supply air anyway!!!! I am one of those people who are plaqued with leaky tires. I never miss a beat, get a new set of tires and day one they leak. Hell, my boat even has a flat!!!! I had a compressor and a bracket and figured I got the expensive stuff. And those are my thoughts for the evening...seeya...

Ricky...seeya...
1979 CJ-7 401 T18

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Almost forgot.... how about one of those loud dual trumpet horns.They need air????? I don't even have a horn yet.....Yea that's right... for a horn, then for my tires , then for the air rachets and impact guns. I'll just tell my wife it is for filling her tires too, I know she will understand that, after all my tire plague has transfered to her Cherokee too.

Ricky...seeya...
1979 CJ-7 401 T18

G

·
i have a great rear bumber that is 4inch?? square tub that holds air it works preety good, the only thing that i do not have is a compressor it is not at the top of the "list" but it is on the list, while on a trail i saw somone with a flat tire with no spare (ran his tire to low) broke the bead, while having the bumper i had no air in it but i went to the gas staion got air and filled, and he was off, as soon as a get a scanner i will share some pics, my front bumper is also a tool box, these bumpers are the best if i got stuck i do not have to worry about ripping the bumpers off they are on there!
later

G

·
First, the 1/8 inch I think would be juct fine....at 150 psi...its not going to explode...might just develope a leak and you lose your pressure. I own and operate a paintball field, and am VERY familiar with CO2...this is the way I go. I have a 50 pound tank that costs me $7 to fill an dthe regulatprs I get wholesale for $50. I can regulate preesure from 0-500 psi, and fill 1 35X15X15 inch tire in less than 45 seconds! I can also run air tools, but run the gas into my bumper/tank and use this as an expansion chamber to keep the CO2 from putting liquid into tools and freezing....that is the only draw back. CO2 is a very special gas, as it holds the same pressure until the gas amount gets to extemely small amounts, meaning; if you have 3 pounds in a 20 pound tank, it yields teh same pressure as 15 pounds in the same tank, that is how a paintball guns shoots the same velocity with no regulator on it. Your first shot is as powerful as you 100th shot..and only drops velocity when your total;ly running out. If anyone ever needs a portable CO2 setup...get a hold of me and I can design one that fit your application, or give the details on setting it up.

~~TIM~~

CJ-7 10"lift

G

·
That should be no problem. After all you can you schedule 40 plastic pipe up to a working pressure of 125psi.

·
Registered
786 Posts
No offense guy but you might want to rethink using co2 in ANY kind of homemade tank. Especially one to be used in an automotive application. I am quite an avid paintball player myself and also happen to run a weld shop. CO2 is by no means a stable liquid/gas and it's pressure will vary considerably with temperature changes. If you are running unregulated co2 through your bumper/tank your are asking for serious trouble. I don't "think" this is what you are doing but I wouldn't want people to get the idea it would be ok to put co2 into a homemade tank of any kind. Go ask your filler for a pressure graph of co2 at various temperatures. It will easily run into serious 4 digits.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.