Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was curious how much power (if any) people have lossed when running on board air (either a york or sanden).. i've got a 4 cyl with power steering and A/C already, but i want to keep my AC..i was concerned about power losses.. any info would be great!. thanks!

'89 YJ SOA w/2.5" OME springs,1"Body/1"Motor Mounts,4.56s,SYE,Ford 8.8" w/Detroit,EZ up front,Steering correction

·
Official Historian
8,275 Posts
It should be similar to running the AC. If you are using your on board air, you won't have to be using the AC and power steering anyway.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have both onboard air and aif conditioning. I only run the onboard air when I need to air up something. I don't believe it draws off much power when not using it. The air compressor is freewheeling as I understand it. When airing up tires or other use I could easily dis-engage the air conditioning. John

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
As far as I know an AC compressor is working at higher pressures therefor at higher loads then when you use it as an air compressor (125 psi or less) so any effect on engine power should be reduced. I can hardly hear any idle change on my setup when I turn it on. When it's off it just free wheels.

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,Boomerangs,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is anyone running a/c and a york on a 2.5l pre-90 YJ?.. i really want to get on the project, but i was hoping someone had done this before me.. thanks!

'89 YJ SOA w/2.5" OME springs,1"Body/1"Motor Mounts,4.56s,SYE,Ford 8.8" w/Detroit,EZ up front,Steering correction

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Dude really now. What is your question? You're not running ARBs so you won't need to run the compressor while moving. Are you planning to inflate your tires at 50 Mph ? What does it matter what power loss you'll have while standing still inflating tires? Otherwise the clutch freewheels with virtually zero effect on power. Get or make a bracket for the thing and get awn with it!
Btw, what kind of steering correction are you running?

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,Boomerangs,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R at http://members.home.net/t.molnar

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i understand how it all works. i realized that from previous replies, and i appreciate everyone's input. i was just wondering if people had done it to my model engine, that's all, damn! apparently not! i run MORE's steering correction for SOAs.. take a look at www.mountainoffroad.com

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Well here's a list of onboard installs on Bostonmangler's site, damn! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I know I've seen more installs on 4cyl then on 6cyl so yes it was done... damn... There was one site that even lists the different installs by vehicle/engine used but I can't find it right now. Btw, how do you like your MORE steering kit? (damn) /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R, SOA and Ford 8.8 soon http://members.home.net/t.molnar

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
didn't mean to sound angry :) .. my problem was that i couldn't find many installs w/ people keeping the existing a/c; anyways, my more steering is great.. it's definately an improvement over stock.. tierod is on top of the knuckles, tough DOM, heim joints, etc.. i've yet to put back on the steering stabilizer (since the kit doesn't come with a bracket to clamp on the tierod), so it's got very little bumpsteer.. so i imagine once the SS is on there, it'll be damn near perfect.. the only thing i DONT like about it is that you're required to put a 1/2" block between the spring and axle, so that the tierod doesn't hit the springs during flex - even if you're using lifted springs..

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Thanks for the info. Is the block required as per MORE's instructions or just personal experience? I'm surprised how they couldn't get the rod-end hight right...

Btw, there's not much to installing a second compressor if you're keeping your AC. You can buy a bracket from Brad Kilby at http://onboardair.com that mounts to the side of your existing comp. or just make your own. I guess you have v-belts so you need a York with a v-belt clutch (easier to find than the serpentine ones) and get a combo pulley from Brad or any alternator shop for the alternator. The York will be driven off your alternator. If you're planning to make your own bracket take a look at my site (below) where I have a write-up on a bracket I made for my onboard welder but the same would be needed for the York too. With the 4 cyl. you should have enough room not to have to trim the fender. That's all. (damn) /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R, SOA and Ford 8.8 soon http://members.home.net/t.molnar

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have mounted my oba so that I can keep my AC. (although I do not have it installed at the moment) It is on a 258 so it is probably a little different than yours. I just mounted it outboard of the alternator. This left the alt & the sanden compressor in their stock locations. I just fabbed up a bracket using the alternator adjustment bolts along with an other bracket back to the block. My 258 had an extra pulley at the crank, so I just made the bracket adjustable so I could move the york to line up the pullys.

BigHG
84 CJ7

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.