Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
\"old school\" monster trucks

I ran across a deal on some old school mud/monster truck stuff. 18.4 x 36 rice and cane tires, 2.5 ton military axles, plus extra parts (extra axles, gears, lockers). I don't plan on racing...just playing. Does anyone have any experience with something like this? How much gear will it take to turn these tires (lugs are about 4" tall)? I have a SM465 and NP205...will this be enough? I have heard about people running two transmissions on swamp buggies (not the ones they race on TNN), has anyone ever seen this in person? My guess is that they cut down/re-splined the input shaft of the second trans to accept a yoke. ....kinda thinkin about putting a shorty powerglide in front of the four speed. ANY comments?....or suggestions?

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Re: \"old school\" monster trucks

Seems with gear that big (and tires like you described) I'd hope you at least have a 350 Chevy or bigger between the fenders to turn those tires well for any self clean-ability at all, however, a big block is definitely preferred /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Now, it's time for me to sit back and see what the others have to say /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Tim

My monthly article on ORC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I've heard of twin trannies, but fortunately you've got a 1st gear in the neighborhood of 6.5:1 & it's likely those 2.5 ton rears have 6.xx:1 gearing also. You should be able to spin 48" rice & canes with a V-8 IMO - well enough for a play truck anyway.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

the only ratio on 2 1/2 tons is 6;72 ;1 you can change the planetary hubs to lower it another 3;1

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

We are building a Jeep at our shop which will have these same axles. Does anyone have any idea as to the weight of these axles???

JpShp
http://www.jeep-shop.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

REAL heavy, I hurt for months after wrestling them onto the trailer. If you get rid of the drum brakes, you lighten things up quite a bit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

640 pounds once you remove the brake drums... And yes they spin 54 inch tires nicely

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

The ones I bought have a funky birfield type joint on the front axles instead of u-joints. Are these things very strong? Can they handle a locker up front? ...or do I need to leave it open?

·
Registered
306 Posts

----I think the 2.5 tons are around 250 lbs., give or take a bit-----

the rockwells i believe are right around 720 lbs with everything on. thats what boyce said when i asked about them.

·
Registered
103 Posts

I'm thinking about starting back on this damn thing. Anybody here have experience with a truck/buggy on 55" tires?

What kind of gearing do I really need?

Would I be better off with the 465/205 set-up or maybe a 2wd turbo 350 and a fabbed up chaindrive?

It will only be a play toy (not raced in a sanctioned event).

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts

Look at my post on the dodge board under my username obviously, its labeled something like 5 ton swap. A two wheel drive tranny is nice with a profab box or an scs drop box, these are like the monster truck type, mine cost $1700 by scs and gears can be changed easy, I have the 4 to 1 but it can go to 4.7 to 1. Its a 12 5/8 drop with my rockwells and 60" tires so drivelines should be ok! My truck is a stock 360, modified tranny, stock 241HD t-case, 4.1 scs and 6:44 axle ratio for as much as 62,000 ft pounds of torque in low range, in high its only 23,000 ft pounds. You will need bigger axles...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

i woul run a 460 or a 454/ ford, or chevy, with those rockwells, with a single 5 speed tranny, and a np205t-case, and reduce your gears down, that way you won't be limited to just mud runnin'make sure your tires have good tread so you actually get somewhere and not just sit there spinning, i suggest siping them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.