Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dad thought that Havoline was the only oil worth putting into an engine. My older brother used to be ready to fight anyone who said Wolf's Head wasn't the best oil ever refined. I used to swear by Pennzoil. I've had parts guys tell me Valvoline is the best. I've read articles that said the brand doesn't make any difference at all as long as the weight is right.

Anybody out there got an opinion? Anybody out there got a fact?

Bone stock rigs: '81 CJ7, '96 ZJ. Moab every summer!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Synthetic. That's all I use.

Several years ago I was trying to convince a friend to use it in his commute vehicle (180 miles/day). He talked to another friend that races cars. He told him that it doesn't matter what the brand says on the car, they are all running synthetic. He has been running it ever since.

All you need to know is: synthetic is slipperier (?) than regular oil. I use mobil 1. I am sure that there are others that are good.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the only thing that i put in my jeeps in mobil 1 and thats it.

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd Manual-dixie horn

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Well, my observations are just that... But I use only Mobil 1 full synthetic in my 454 (the engine I have that I really care about, I don't use anything but the relatively cheap stuff in the little 2.8L, because I don't care if it sticks around or not, if not, I get an excuse for a swap /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif). I actually seem to have gained a little power, and it seems to actually run a bit better now. However, I think the thing that makes the absolute biggest difference with oil, no matter what type, is changing it often, and having a really good quality filter.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Tim
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 35x12.5s
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif '85 S15 4x4 2.8l, 235/75's

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Mobil 1 here......since it came out (75-76???).
Penzoil is allegedly the best dino stuff......Pennsylvania dinos were naturally slipperyer..slipperier .....ah.....naturally more slippery (still not sure?).....but doesn't even touch Mobil 1's broad range of stabilty.

I do bi-annual changes regardless of mileage ....when it starts getting cool and when it stays warm for a while.

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It comes down to personal preference. Whatever you choose, the most important thing is to change it often.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Autozone sells their remanufactured engines prefilled with Mobil 1 full synthetic. I wouldn't recommend it, but the rocket scientists at Autozone don't have a problem with it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah, and when the rings don't seat they'll be happy to sell you more oil. What did they list as nomal consumption for oil. I've seen
some high oil consumption engines not meet standards for replacement. I'm not happy unless they go 1500 miles without adding a
quart. Synthetic is good oil but in my opinon too good for getting the rings to seat. Ford.GM and Chrysler don't put it in their engines
(as far as I know) and they seem to go the distance.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Current parafin based oils, changed often enough, will carry most engines (and especially the newer ones) well beyond the typical ownership of a vehicle with acceptable wear. So those who subscribe to the 3month/3000 mile tenet will probably see NO lubrication related problems with their engine. But NO parafin based motor oil can do the job that Mobil 1 does at the extremes. It can't flow nearly as good in the cold ......and volitalizes(spl?) FAR before Mobil 1 even gets taxed. You can heat Mobil 1 to 600 F. and it is still a motor oil.......ANY parafin based oil turns to asphault at this temperature.
The bottom line for me is that I've had great experience with the stuff (over 200,000 in a 80 V6 Citation) with all my vehicles. The cost is less than conventional oil if you belong to the 3000 mile crowd since you do at least half the number of oil changes .......so since cost isn't a factor why not give your engine the advantage of broad range protection? Unless you live in some place that the temperature range stays between 65-75 year round (where's that?) ..you're going to hit one extreme or the other either (cold starts in the winter or hot idling in the summer) no matter where you live.

JMHO

GeeAea

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Filters won't take the chemicals out that eat your engine from the inside. Gasoline is a very dirty fuel.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ChaseJeep - that filter thing was one of the cooler things I've read on the Internet. I actually have a Fram Teflon job on my truck, but have recently put a Mobil 1 on the Jeep since I've been switching all of my cars over to Mobil 1 oil. I'll definately heed this advice and stick with the Mobil 1 filter!

Chuck Hadley

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've heard that if an engine has a small oil leak, synthetic oil will make it worse. What is the truth to this? What do you guys think
about AMSOIL? Thanks

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
lind- the filter traps FAR more dirt than the oil can suspend ....in some newer vehicles (and many since the introduction of unleaded fuels and cleaner burning engines)the owners manual recommends changing the oil filter every other oil change if you're using mileage as the criteria. So with a synthetic you could change just the filter and maintain a clean engine since, as you stated, the oil (especially a synthetic) is not necessarily broken down. The advantage I have with a synthetic is that I can do half the oil changes.....have SUPERIOR lubrication ......and STILL REMAIN WITHIN THE WARRANTY GUIDELINES for my jeep compared to the 3000 milers. In my case, where the vehicle gets driven 70 miles a day on the highway plus weekend usage of 100-200 miles, doing an oil chage every 3000 would mean one every 8-10 weeks .....far too often for me. Now if you've got an engine that has some consumption to it a synthetic can be prohibitively expensive. In that case, because of the wear that is causing the consumption, perhaps THAT engine needs an oil change every 3000 because of fuel dilution or other problems taxing the intetgrity of the oil.

If your engine leaks regular oil......it'll leak synthetic. Whether or not it cleans out leaks to make them worse....who knows?
Amsoil......good stuff .....has better specs than Mobil 1 in some ways.....more expensive.....limited distribution.

The absolute best motor oil is actually a natural product. Johoba (spl?) bean oil ......this is reported on an Amsoil product literature sheet (the one an Amsoil rep uses to show you that his stuff is superior to other synthetics)......it compares all the popular motor oils side by side by the SAE tests......and Johoba bean oil was superior to all parafin and synthetic oils in just about all of the specs ......but the stuff is hopelessly expensive.

GeeAea

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.