Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok have a question my tube on the dipstick on the 258 motor will not say in it keeps working it self up and out... it is like a worm a big pesty worm ... oil all over the engine, tranny hell the whole underside of the jeep will not haft to worry about rust protection... does anybody have any ideas how to keep this thing in...

Low Riders are for boys who can't get it UP...

·
Registered
586 Posts
Check your PVC valve or other components. Their not letting the internal pressure vent to the carb. That or extreme blow by.
Easy way to check would be to loosen your oil cap and if it the stick still pops up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok you lost me... i have a after market 4wd valve cover and a weber carb the hole in the back of the valve cover i plugged with a pcv valve and plugged it of in the front hole i put a the same pcv valve and attched it to side of the intake valve right above the old egr valve.. so what you are saying that the engine has to much what vacum

Low Riders are for boys who can't get it UP...

·
Registered
586 Posts
Your PVC may be stuck closed allowing pressure to build up and push the stick up. Sorry I don't know much about the 6's as to where what is or is supposed to be.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The PCV valve is near the front of the engine near the fill plug. If you pull it out and stick your finger over the end of it, you should feel suction. Ifnot then you need to replace it. around $2-3. If it isn't the PCV Valve then do a compression test on each of the cylinders. They should read in about 90 or so psi and be close to the same pressure. If one or more are low it will be obivious. They will be the cylinders with the abnormaly low compression. Depending this could indicate tha you need head work(jeep's not yours), or that you need a ring job.(rebuild, yuk!) I had to do the same when the oil was comming out of the fill plug. It was liveable until I ran through 12qts of oil in one month. Then I parked it and started the rebuild. My jeep no longer needs its undercoating also.

good luck

Robert87yj/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
engine rebuild w/4.0 head done, now for the MPI

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'm not sure about 90 psi on the cylinder compression. my 87 has 150 in all 6. chiltons manual shows you should have 120-150 psi. this of course is for the 4.2 258 i-6 engine. i looked up the 2.5 and 4.0 engines and it said the same 120-150 psi.
steve

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
If I read what Nuke said correctly (and I could be mistaken) he has the PCV routed correctly ........he however has the vent tube, that would normally go to the air cleaner, filled with another PCV valve that is plugged. This may be due to possibly his use of a none stock air cleaner housing (I don't know). Since this is plugged.....and assuming that his PCV valve is otherwise working normally ......would lead me to believe that he has excessive blow-by and when the draft/flow that the PCV can handle is overwelmed - it pops the dipstick out since it has no where else to vent.

nuke-do a search on "blow-by" .....there are several recent posts on the matter. Just a quick possible solution.....instead of plugging the second PCV valve ..."t" it to the other one close to the manifold.

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I did when I put a Weber on my 258 was to put one of those chrome breathers, few bucks from Mr. Gasket, to replace the vent
tube that runs from the back of the valve cover to the stock aircleaner. This was a couple years ago, no blow by and no mess.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
Get involved or lose it all, the choice is yours!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.