Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a long block AMC 360 from Twilight(Auto) Zone. The brass fitting from my core that is a 90 degree angle out of the block doesn't fit the hole nor does the 3/8 male end on the new sending unit. I got the sending unit from summit with new gauges. The hole in the block appears to be for a 5/16. No one in town has a step down from 3/8 to 5/16. Nor does anyone have the stock sending unit but the one from my core was 3/8 also. Anyone have any ideas? Twilight Zone was no help. My exhaust manifold bolts were not tapped the same either. What's up with that? I know I could just tap the hole to 3/8 but the engine is already in my jeep and its brand new. I didn't pay $1000 to drill and tap holes. I need help. My buddy's 304 has a similiar brass fitting to the one I got from my core engine. Why isn't anything easy? Thanks for the help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
When dealing with pipe thread the sizes are a little screwy. I the sending unit you have looks like 3/8, you have 1/4NPT. If the block appears to have a
5/16 hole,it is 1/8NPT. Go back to twilight zone and get a 3/8PT to 1/8 PT[pipe thread] and a 1/4 to 1/8 PT reducer. You should get something to work.

Gorgeous George
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifMy other car is a Frieghtliner/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Don......your Jeep sender is in all probability a 1/4". Is that the one for the electric three-pole plug in? Many Jeeps use that three-pole sender which is for the choke heater and an idiot light combined. A stock gauge sender is usually 1/8" pipe thread. It would really be rare to find one that is bigger. The exhaust manifolds on our 304 have 3/8" studs and 5/19 studs. You notice I said studs.....we made studs instead of the bolts that came with it for more strength and better sealing.....it was a long process with a die set. Mizu set up his 304 to have all of the senders topside. He went into the block with a tube fitting, and then up to a little manifld with the assortment of senders. That would also work for your oiler upgrade as well. Why not go that route? /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't wait to get that envelope. I was sure it would be here today. Maybe tomorrow. The sending unit is a single wire screw type.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
To get my stock YJ sending unit to bolt up to my chevy V8 it took me a few trips to autozone, finally, they just told me to go behind the counter and get what I need, took 2 fittings and a tube threaded at each end to get it running.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.