Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to a custom dash setup with all Autometer Phantom gauges.

I'd like some thoughts or suggestions regarding the oil pressure gauge. Do I go with mechanical or electric?

Thanks,

Larry 85CJ7,350TBI,T19
http://www.treadlightly.org

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had both on my Jeep. Mechanical does tend to leak, at least mine did. John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I run a Mech. unit under the hood on my CJ, I still run the factory unit in the dash, This way if things dont look quite right I can refer to the old trust mech. unit and I dont have to worry about oil in the floors of the jeep.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Jeepin's for me

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I definitely prefer mechanical. I use a mechanical one in my dash. Never trust anything electrical if you don't have to. :)

I remember an article from a long time ago about the rules of Jeeping. One of the rules was "Don't pretend it's not broken when it is." No offense to anyone, but if it leaks, fix it.

Good luck,
Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMTs,9000#winch, hm swing out TC/HL mount ,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From my past experience, I would go with electrical gauges on oil pressure, amps, volts, fuel level and pressure. As for mechanical gauges, I would choose only vacuum and boost gauges for turbo or blower (if hose blows, just find a bolt or something to plug the hose). When I was comin home from local street, my oil pressure hose let go (near engine block) on my mechanical oil pressure gauge and I didn't even know it (I mounted below the dash) till I got home. Plus, a trail of oil on the street. Luckily, I had my old pressure sensor in the car and reinstall it. Or else, I would be needing a new motor.

If you are going with electrical gauges, you might want look into LED display style gauges. They cost more but looks very cool.

Good luck,

[email protected]

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif No wonder you can't afford a Millermatic! Sheesh!/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Now if I can only $crape up enough change for lunch tomorrow.

Regard$,

Larry 85CJ7, 350TBI ,T19 4spd... and $350 worth of Autometer Phantom gauges

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.