Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time for me to replace the rear main seal. It has leaked for the year and a half I've owned it, but always just a small spot. My recent axle project kept the jeep up on jackstands for two months; now that I'm back on the road (or off the road, first run locked and loaded tommorrow /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif) I've noticed the leak has increased a lot. I have a gasket for my pan; four pieces? I bet that is a pita to get into place and sealed. Will a one piece gasket for a four liter work with my engine? Any other pearls of wisdom for a rear main virgin? And I know about the righty tighty lefty loosy thing/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif.

Thanks
Max

82 CJ, some stuff stock, some stuff not
Have you hugged your Jeep today?
http://www.alpine14rs.org

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
A 4.0 gasket will work on a 258. No problems there. As for doing the rear main, RUN!!! J/K. I tried to do mine and ended up screwing it up all to hell and back. First off, USE A BRASS BUNCH to get it out. And be VERY careful of the crank. I kind of blotched that part and nicked tha crankshaft. As for installing the seal, make sure not to put it in backwards
Not that I would know from experience or anything

1 - 2 of 2 Posts