Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
oil leak - where\'s it coming from?

Attached you will see a picture of where my tranny meets the engine block. Notice that the lower bolt on the bellhousing access cover has a brown film of leaked oil. This happened when we first bought my Jeep and we took it in to have it fixed, and a couple hundred dollars later we were doing fine. Now it's doing the same thing again. The oil is brown, so I'm guessing it's (dirty) engine oil, but that's because I've never seen tranny oil before. Does tranny oil get as brown as engine oil? Would there be anything I could do to try and remedy the problem, or should I just take it in? How easy is it to remove the bellhousing cover? As easy as removing a couple of bolts, or is it more complicated than that? My Chilton's manual makes it sound easy, but I've been fooled before. Thanks.

Blake
93 YJ/4.0L/33x12.50s/D30 front/D35 rear/NP231/AX-15/3" Rough Country suspension/1.25" shackles

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
Re: oil leak - where\'s it coming from?

From the looks of things, It looks like the rear main seal seeping and running down inside the cover. Those covers can't really be removed though without removing the trans unfortunately. I personally would keep an eye on the oil and trans fluid levels for a week or so, and see what it does. If you can live with a little seepage, oil is usually cheaper than replacing that seal before it is completely shot. Just my $.02.

89 CJ/YJ thing 350 TBI, 700r4, NP231 SYE, 3 inch body lift, 33's and an appetite for mud!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

joker,
thats exactly what mine looks like and I was told that it could be fixed but it really wasnt that big of a deal. Like said above it is probably the rear main which is a b!tch to get to. I just keep an eye on my fluids and I think in about a month and a half ive lost less than 1/4 of a quart of oil. in my mind its not that big of a deal. Just my $.02

Travis
Lots of goodies!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

It is either the rear main or the freeze plug behind the crank if the 4.0 has them. My 4.2 had one start leaking. I had to pull the tranny to get at it, but I had it out and a new one in, in no time at all.

Robert87yj/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
4.2 w/(4.0 head & MPI)
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
- Thomas Alva Edison

·
Registered
351 Posts

IT could also be a leaky valve cover. 4.2 and 4.0 liters are really bad for this, they leak right at the back of the cover and the oil runs down the block and drips off the tranny right below the rear main. an easy way to check is to stick your hand between the firewall and the back of the cover and feel for oil. I'd check that first before you pull the oil pan and the tranny out.

88 YJ:4.2 I6 TR upgrade and MC2100

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

According to my Chilton's manual, it says that in order to pull the oil pan you need to first remove the bellhousing access cover, which would require removing the entire tranny. Is this true, or just a bunch of bull? It seems that by just removing the oil pan bolts I could remove the pan no problem. Allow me to quote the important steps:

3.) Drain oil
4.) Disconnect exhaust pipe at manifold and cat converter
5.) Remove starter
6.) Remove bellhousing access cover
7.) Position jackstand directly under vibration dampener. Place a piece of wood between the jack and the dampener.
8.) Remove the engine mount through bolts. Using the jack, raise the engine until there is enough room to remove the oil pan.
9.) Remove oil pan bolts and remove pan.

Blake
93 YJ/4.0L/33x12.50s/D30 front/D35 rear/NP231/AX-15/3" Rough Country suspension/1.25" shackles

·
Registered
236 Posts

I agree with all of these posts. First check the back of the valve cover, I had the same problem and it turned out to be the valve cover. If that's OK, then maybe live with it for a few months until it really starts leaking bad. It just seems like such a small leak and the work to get in there may not be worth it just yet.

BTY, when I mistakenly thought my rear main was done (it was the actually the valve cover leak mentioned earlier), the Haynes manual mentioned a bunch of steps which seemed completely unnecesary in fixing the problem.

TEXAS1AL

84 CJ-7; 258 I6; Restored-to-Stock Condition

1 - 7 of 7 Posts