Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1983 cj7
258 i6

my jeep leaked oil out of the valve cover. to fix this i bought a replacement just like the orig. (plastic). but the leak did not go away. the gasket is made out of rubber and foam. im getting real tired of this leak because it drips on my driveway and also get's in my spark plugs (not very much). any ideas on how to fix this problem would be great!

thanks
TYLER
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you have a 258 with a plastic valve cover, it will leak, no matter what you do. I've had decent luck not using a gasket, using the blue permatex silicone instead. Just make sure you clean off both surfaces real good, then apply the silicone to both surfaces, let it set up just slightly, then put it back together.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engineer that came up with the idea of this valve cover should be drawn and quartered. Same problem with mine. I bit the bullet and installed the aluminum cover from 4WD Hardware. Not a single drop of leak since! This site has much information about these covers - search it. It seems the Clifford covers may have a problem with oil moving to the carb from the PCV hoses - check around. If you do install the aluminum, use a magnet to catch metal filings when tapping out the new bolt holes - great tip!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One trick that a buddy of mine who works on race cars gave me... instead of that blue goo, just go get a good tube of high temp silicone sealant from the hardware store (heat range up to about 400F) and put a good thick bead under the plastic cover (no gasket). It usually lasts a good while before the oil manages to work it's way out through tiny holes my blowby seems to enlarge, but it's cheap and easy to do over.
Good luck!

Sully

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I replaced my constantly leaking plastic cover with a Clifford aluminum one and because of the terrible baffle design I'm now sucking
a quart of oil every 300 miles into the intake via the PCV system. Before putting on the Clifford I used a quart every 1100 - 1200 miles.
Be forwarned.

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i've heard of that problem a lot when people do the plastic to metal valve cover swap. Does anyone have one that actualy works?

MudFlap 87 YJ POS!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only aluminum cover I have experience with is the Clifford. There are other brands out there. If you are thinking of buying one
look on the inside of the cover at the baffles. If the baffles are constructed like the ones in the stock plastic cover, with the inlet hole
down near the bottom on the right side of the cover it should work fine. Good luck.

Gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts