Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was driving home last night and noticed that the engine started tapping and the oil pressure was very low. so after looking i found that the oil filter hit the motor mount and put a hole in the filter. after the rebuild, when i put the motor back in, it seemed like there was not enough room between the filter and mount. could the mounts have been put back on wrong? (removing and reinstalling the mounts was my younger brothers 'job' during the rebuild) i didn't pay that much attention to them, i didn't think that they could be that confusing.

so the bottom line is, now the filter is hitting the mount, i switched to the shorter filter that they list for the 258, but i think that i either need a skinnier filter or maybe get a filter relocator. any suggestions?

thanks all
shawn

The cup isn't half full or half empty, it's just twice the size it needs to be!!!

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
In all liklihood the passenger side mount needs to be replaced; with age and oil leaks it has sagged, and maybe separated.

That happened to me on the trail once. I replaced the filter and put a big worm-drive hose clamp around it at the contact point until I could replace the mount. Since then I always install the clamp when I change filters.

The six is tall and heavy, and when it starts rocking back and forth it's a lot to control. I have thought about mounting a small shock absorber to it to damp its motion and take some strain off the mounts. Has anybody ever done that?

I might have been born at night, but it wasn't LAST night.

G

·
I agree with Jim, I had the EXACT same problem one day. I changed both moter mounts and have had no trouble since then.
Also, it is possible your brother installed them wrong, its not hard to put them in backwards or upsidedown.

'79 CJ-5 258

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I've heard that on some Jeeps the shorter fatter filters hit the mounts when under stress. I just use the smaller cheaper Purolater and change it each time.

I'm on here so much, I have carpal tunnel reader syndrone.

·
Registered
543 Posts
i had an 86 comanche with the 4 cylinder, and it had a small shock used to stabilize the engine. i would suspect the cherokees had the same. shouldnt be to hard to pirate a couple parts and make it work on the six.

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i looked, but didn't really think that you could put the mounts in wrong. does anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of motor mounts to buy? and can you buy them in local auto stores or only from jeep catalogues? i was hoping to do this tomorrow.

thanks all
shawn

The cup isn't half full or half empty, it's just twice the size it needs to be!!!

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
I buy mine at NAPA. Ask for a cross for the FRAM PH3675. If I remember right, the PH8A (Ford applications) will also spin on and is larger.

I'm not a firm believer in throwing big money at this part for the "extreem" versions that are avaliable. I also put a length of chain around the mount to keep the mount from stressing too far and tearing the cushion. It helps to keep the matierial viable for a longer period of time.

G

·
What filter are you using?
You're supposed to use the short, skinny one.
Fram 3675 or equivilent, is the right one.
Seen a lot of wasted engines cause of using the wrong filter.
I bought filters at NAPA before and I think thier books are wrong, asked them for one for a 258 and they gave me the fat one, they didn't even list the skinny one. .

CTjeepnut

You had to do what to fit those little tires?
I'm sure glad I own a CJ!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
off the top of my head i think the fram # was ph-11.....then the shorter one was ph-25....but both are fat.

shawn

G

·
PH25 is correct. The 304 uses the same filter.

Jay C.

I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five?

G

·
I've seen this happen a bunch, guys using the fat filter instead of the narrower one. The fat one was for use in J trucks and Wags with the 258, there is more clearance because of the frame. You need the narrower one, I blieve the Fram # mentioned earlier is correct, 3675. Its the same as for a late 70s Olds, engine code R. I use NAPA gold, can't remember the # offhand, but its the narrow one.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://home.off-road.com/~rockgarden

G

·
For the guys using the PH 25.
Just for curiosity, where did you get your information from?

CTjeepnut

You had to do what to fit those little tires?
I'm sure glad I own a CJ!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i looked it up in the book at walmart.

shawn

G

·
I remember seeing an upgrade that moved the filter completely out of the way of the mount. It used an elbow piece from a Cherokee, so the filter was moved 90 degrees and back toward the firewall.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the 90 degree mod sounds interesting. does anyone have any more info on it? i like the idea of a being able to keep the bigger filter.

thanks

shawn

G

·
The Napa filter you need is #1522 for napa gold or #21522 for napa silver. These have worked good for me and I have never hit the filter on the engine mount (other then the time the mount Broke under torque and nearly cut the filter in half.)

bandhmo

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
I've heard early model 304s had the filter stuck straight out (perpendicular to the block) and later 304s angled back at a 45. Not sure if the 258s had such a configuration though.

Caver Dave
'72 Commando
Oo=====oO

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Yes the motor mounts can be put on upsidedown,I have done this ONCE ,the outer metal piece and the inner metal piece sandwich the rubber block in between them and have extentions that hook together ,this should be facing down,not up where it hits the filter ,also the mount can be slid about 1 inch on the frame side extention.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?

G

·
Just use the correct filter, the narrower one. The slight increase in oil capacity of the bigger one is irrelevant, the 258 already uses 6 qts. And there would be no difference in filtering capability, the size of the filter when it comes to that is also pretty irrelevant unless you were using a filter the size of your Jeep. Unless you have the mounts on wrong I really fail to see the problem here, just do it right.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://home.off-road.com/~rockgarden

1 - 20 of 26 Posts