Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 57k miles, its time for new tires... My 2wd '97 f-150 takes 255-70R16 's, and I want a light truck tire. Now for the requirements... I'm happy with the goodyear wrangler AP's that are on it now, but in wet weather I'm left desiring... I rarely ever go off-pavement, with the occasional dirt road. SO, it needs to be quiet, have a good mileage 50k or more, and not completly break the bank, although I will pay for the better tire.

Thanks for the info...

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
george,
You've seen my new BFG A/T KO's....they are pretty badass, aren't they? I like em. BTW...i can barely spin them!!! talk about traction!

98 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Sport Plus, 5.9L 360, auto, Locked, 3.92s, BFG A/T KOs, tows my CJ-7.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cooper LT's are fantastic for durability on pavement, but I don't belive they come in that size. They just came out with a new tread style called the AT that might suit your needs & I think it comes in that size. I know it comes in many of the funky 16" & 17" sizes (like 315/75R16) that aren't available in the older tread design. Might be worth looking into.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif The Goodyear Wrangler with the original tread pattern that looks like gorilla skin is one of the best tires I ever ran. I had them on my 3/4T Suburban, and on my 3/4T 2WD GMC, Chev, GMC, GMC....I usually got right at 100K....yes, that's right, 100 thousand miles....before we bought new ones. I have owned FIVE 3/4T GM vehicles and that is my favorite all-time tire. Our new Jeep Grand Cherokee came with the "new" wrangler design which did not quite have the grip in snow that the gorilla-pattern has. We went to Cooper Discoverer gorilla pattern on the Grand at 65K, and although they are noticably noisy, they hang on like a scared cat in the snow and ice./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi

I am in the tire business and can pick just about any brand to toss on my vehicle . I put 4 Michelin LTX/AT`s on 3 1/2 years ago and they still have a good 40% left on them . There is 65,000 miles on them and I forsee getting about 90,000 . I cannot say enough good things about these, off-road they are fine and on the highway , nice and quiet . Hope this helps

Jeff 79 CJ5

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. Sounds like most of 'em are somewhat aggressive... I think I'll stick to the wranglers, just gotta look for 'em... Thanks again.

btw - the reason for the change is cuz the alignment went out and the front tires are bald on the outer edge, the rear look like they have another 15-20k on 'em... oh well...

Florida Mud CJ-5

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif My tire guy tells me that if it wasn't for misalignment, inderinfaltion, and abuse, they couldn't sell very many tires. Like he only sees me every 100K on the big stuff and never less than 65K on the little rides./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My alignment went out because of an accident... not enough to affect handling bad, but enough to scallop the tires... I just haven't had time to give it to the body shop, or tires, but now that finals have started, in a week I'll have plenty of free time... And I'll make free time since I'm driving 2000mi to Nj and back... So I figure an alignment is due before the trip, and no sense doing an alignment without new tires...
Normally I'm pretty good with tires, I check the pressures, keep 'em rotated, etc, but these d%@& fords can't keep an alignment once their out...

Florida Mud CJ-5

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
George, you left yourself WIDE open on that last post, so here it goes:

"Shoulda bought a DODGE!"

hahahaha, gotcha! See ya in AS356!

-mike

98 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Sport Plus, 5.9L 360, auto, Locked, 3.92s, BFG A/T KOs, tows my CJ-7.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually, none of the possible replacements suggested here are particularly aggressive. The Cooper LT's (simply referred to as Cooper Discoverer Radials on the Cooper site) that CJDave has are somewhat loud for the type of pattern they have, but they aren't a "rough" tread, and do have great tread life. But, I've gotta admit the possibility of 100k out of old-style Wranglers would be pretty hard to pass up. The BFG's mentioned are also a quality tire, although you pay a bit for the name IMO. But, there's certainly nothing wrong with keeping what you have if you like it. The Cooper A/T's do look like they'd make a nice wet-weather tire 'cause they have 2 real nice water channels in them. But, it's a new style & I don't know anyone who's tried them. BTW, they do come in that 255/70R16 size. There's also an even less aggressive Cooper Discoverer H/T, but it doesn't come in that size, & again I don't know anyone running them. For a look at all of the Cooper tread styles, check out the Cooper Tire Web Site, then click on tires, then light-truck tires, then the specific styles. You should see several possibilities just from that one brand.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif TEX.....the 100K is only for the bigger sizes like my 950X16.5's....those are running in the low 600's for TURNS PER MILE, so you can see that there is a lot more tread distance and therefore a lot more potential mileage. My Grand is running in the middle 700's, with the 235 75 R15's so I only expect about 65K. I try to swap tires at the beginning of winter because I know that fresh rubber does the squeeze-thaw-freeze process better and hangs on in snow better because of it. The depth of tread helps too, but the softness is real important. The Cooper Discoverers are a real good hiway and snow tread, and I'm real pleased with them despite some noticable noise./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts