Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here made an off-road trailer to haul behind their Jeep when wheeling. I was thinking of makeing one and in order to keep it relatively small and simple to build I was thinking of finding and using a compact pick-up that was wrecked or junked (hopefully with the proper lug pattern) and just using the bed and rear frame portion, and adding a pintle hook type connection for the wheeling aspect. A camper shell or a hard tonneau cover could be used and maybe even a rack added for more space. Anybody done this, or have any comments or suggestions?

82 Scrambler/360/T5/D300/4" SUA/AMC20/Rear Discs/Somers Bros Axles/D30/3:73's/Lockrite Lockers.
2001 Bare Stock Trendy Jeep Sport (everyday driver)
Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have built trailers before using pickup rear frame sections, but have never used them off road. If you are building it for the scrambler you might want to try an S10. I beleive it may have the same lug pattern, if it is for the tj use a ranger bed as it has the correct pattern for sure.

The trailers are simple to build. You just need to cut the frame at the very front of the cab and then bend the sides into the middle and weld them together. With a pintle and a long enough tounge it would be easy to tow but might be too long for any thing more than towing into a camp site and leaving it there. You could build one from scratch and just use a junkyard rear with the correct lug pattern, allowing you to build it exactly the way you want it.

G

·
I have one that I bought 16 years ago, its a Packmule by Helder Mfg., indestructible. But, you can take a couple pointers from it. Make sure the track is exactly the same as the tow vehicle, make sure the tongue is long enough to be able to jackknife the trailer against the bumper without hitting the body corner, and make sure that the type of hitch can't come off without you physically releasing it.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com

·
Registered
840 Posts
all the compact pick up trucks have the same wheel pattern as the wrangler none have the same pattern as a cj but you could get a short bed full size and still be small and have the same pattern as the cj/scrambler and definately go with a pintle hook setup

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it would mainly be used behind the Scrambler, The biggest issue I saw might be the length and the weight, but I could alway chop the frame and the bed down a little smaller if needed to make it a smaller and more manageable. Its just an idea on the drawing board right now, thought I would see if anybody had built one, i didn't think it would be too difficult, maybe I'll build one and put a locker in the differential so I can pull it better on the trail /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

82 Scrambler/360/T5/D300/4" SUA/AMC20/Rear Discs/Somers Bros Axles/D30/3:73's/Lockrite Lockers.
Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
You carry so much stuff you can't fit it IN a Scrambler? Damn, I don't even own that much stuff.

I have seen a few Zuki trailers, made from Zuki's, kinda defeats the purpose of building a trailer (Zuki's are SMALL!), but they looked nice. I have also seen a Jeep trailer, made from the rear of a CJ-7, complete with AMC 20 and stock lights, looked nice. Just a thought, you'd have plenty of spare parts.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't actually have that much stuff...yet... but if I take my wife and daughter with me it will cut down on space to haul the camping supplies, parts etc. with the back seat in...

Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club

G

·
I am building a off-road trailer for my jeep by using a Wrangler tub and frame.
The tub was cut in the door opening and the frame tied together to a pintle hitch. I also used a bulkhead from a Scrambler on the tub to keep stuff inside the trailer.
I am thinking about even putting a fuel tank with a electric pump for fueling the jeep while on the trail.
If you want some pics I will be glad to send you some.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice trailer Leve, just don't wanna go all the way to Vegas to get it, as for the pictures of the Wrangler tub Ranger, that sounds neat, I would like to see them.

Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
I like that idea of a gas tank in the trailer and an electric pump for refuling. Now that's a nice touch.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah, I liked that fuel tank idea too, that could be used with any jeep/pick-up bed conversion and would save space and provide ease in refueling.

Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club

G

·
I will try to get some digital pictures of the trailer when I get off work this afternoon and send them to you guys.
I still need to put the axle under it and the tank.
I am also toying with the idea of putting the roll bar back in it and using a bed cover on it too then painting it to look just like the jeep.
It also has an area just in front of the Scrambler bulkhead for ice chests. I hope to get it finished within the next couple of weeks.
I wrecked my wifes jeep a couple of weeks ago and trashed the frame beyond repair so I am going to build another one to match one of the other jeeps as well.

·
Registered
231 Posts
My neighbor built a trailer from a postal jeep cut at the firewall, kept the windshield, doors etc. Cool trailer, but a waste of a rebuildable jeep in my opinion. I'm planning to build my own to match my jeeps (later this summer)

BP

Brent & Sons
49-CJ3A, 51-CJ3A

G

·
Just a few things to think about:
I built my own TRAILer, from scratch, and it works very well. I stuck with a regular trailer axle, with cheap, easy to find bearings, and a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern that matched the jeep...track width is the same as well. I used Wrangler 4" lift springs, SUA. That said, having a trailer really puts some limits on what you can do. Want to try to climb a really steep hill? Ok...without a trailer, you can climb, and if you fail, back down slowly and carefully. With a trailer, if you can't make it, you're screwed. It is impossible to back down a steep hill with a trailer. I've tried.(and I've got lots of trailer backing experience). Get a jeep stuck while pulling a trailer? It takes twice as much planning and effort to get it out. In short, my TRAILer has been sitting in the shed, unused. I would advise trying to find more storage space on the Scrambler, rather than building a trailer. I plan on getting a cheap, used car trailer and towing the jeep to trails, and using my tow vehicle as the "junk storage area."

BTW, I used a ball hitch and haven't had any problems with movement restriction. Oh, and make sure you heed the advice on hitch length (long enough straight piece that you can jacknife completely).

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the advice FarmJeep, I will heed it. If I pull the trailer when I'm on the trails it will only be in situations where I'm on moderately difficult trails, I would just want it for the trips when I'm going deep into the woods on some mild to moderate trails to do some camping, etc. I am considering how this will work, because my Scrambler will be a trailer hauled vehicle for the most part (any long trips) so I may not even build the trailer because I may not be able to haul it, just looking at all options.

Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club

G

·
DON'T use a pintle hitch if you plan on driving with it on the road much. There are hitches out there that are made to be towed off road, my Packmule has one that in no way can come off, and won't give the rough banging around that a pintle does. There are other brands of hitches commercially available, Bulldog comes to mind, that are made for this application. You will be VERY unhappy with a pintle hook on the highway.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com

·
Registered
900 Posts
Hey Leve,

I bought that trailer last year (only $500).....don't be selling it for me. It was such a steal. It has 33x9.5x15 BFG muds. Confer shackles. Rancho lift springs. Complete with hand brake, original style canvas, stock wheels/tires, receiver pintle (to use with my wife's Sub when needed), and converted tailgate.

I absolutely love it. I use it at least monthly (for Scout camping trips). It has the same bolt pattern as a CJ, so if I'm pulling it behind my Jeep, no extra spare needed.

KerryP- I would look for one of those before trying to rig up a pick-up bed. Plus, it goes very well pulled by a Jeep.

-raymo
4.6 Stroker Scrambler

·
Registered
900 Posts
Brad,

I disagree on the pintle hook. I never even hear/feel it while pulling the freeways/roads. It makes me think that something isn't fitting quite right on the pack mule. I've pulled my m416 behind my Jeep and Suburban for 1000s of miles with no negatives due to the pintle.

My lunette ring (tongue of trailer) was well used in the military and seems to be worn a little so maybe it fits a pintle hook better.

-raymo
4.6 Stroker Scrambler

1 - 20 of 21 Posts