Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm more of a reader here than a poster, but I was shocked at what I read on the Jeep-L mailing list about one of this sites articles. First let me give the link of http://www.off-road.com/glamis/rentalride/index.html and say read all of it, especially the bottom. The short of it a guy rents a SUV, takes it out, really smashes it up, and then returns it to the rental company without telling them. I personally would say that this gives a definate bad image of off-roads that many of us are fighting to end/change. One fellow decided to write them and let the good folks here know about that and got what I would deem a rude response. Judge for yourself. Below I will include a copy of the letter send and the reply gotten back from this site. Personally this is my last visit to this site, I can have just as much fun on the jeepthing bbs and the people in charge there don't promote such a negative image, nor are they rude.
Later all, and thanks for all the help
John

>I am very disappointed that you chose to run a story like this:
>
>http://www.off-road.com/glamis/rentalride/index.html
>
>This is inexcusable behavior. Not only did Mr. LaMarche intentionally go
>against the rental agreement (most specifically restrict off-highway trips
>in rental vehicles), he intentionally and criminally concealed the damage
>that he caused to the vehicle.
>
>This is exactly the type of behavior that feeds the 'Hey - hold my beer and
>watch this!!' attitude that the general public had toward the off-highway
>crowd. There are enough examples of people acting this way. We don't
>need national publications advertising it.
>
>Please do not publish examples of this juvenile behavior in the future.
>
>Steve Smith

Well put together note, with some very good points. Here is the reply from
the ORC staff:

> Hi Steve,
>
> I guess you won't like our upcoming story on the use of rental cars as
> prerunners for the Baja 1000?

>Patrick Chicas[SMTP:p[email protected]]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally that article p*ssed me off so much I had to refrain from sending a very nasty letter to ORC. This is by far my favorite on-line mag, but the use of that article showed about the poorest judgment I've seen in a while. I think more people should let them know this.

Brad
Get active or get locked out, the choice is yours.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Years back, Herts rentals had Shelby KR-500 and Shelby GT-350's, Trans Am's with 455 CID engines for rent. Must have been inviting to rent a big block muscle car for $13 a day.
The guys would rent them on a weekend, race them, and return them on Monday.
They got to be known a Herts-Rent-A-Racers at the local tracks.

I'm sure it still goes on today with the Trans-Ams and Z-28 Camaros at local drag strips.

I don't condone the practice, but I'm sure it goes on more than anyone is saying.
I know how I, and my crew treat rent-a-wrecks. Around here it's referred to as the Parking Lot Grand Prix.

Just my .02 worth.

When a fool and a wise man argue, Onlookers can't tell the difference...

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
posting the article was shocking enough

but the ORC guys response?
INCREDIBLE!!!
where do they find these folks?

OzarkJeep
NW Arkansas

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I started a thread on the GM board too, I figure if we get enough responses to this thing together they will remove the article in it's entirety, instead of them waiting a month to post a repsponse that they claim will satisfy us "confused" people who are against the article...

They sure know how to give the anti-ORVers ammo against us...

I must say, however, any rental company that rents 4x4's is a very stupid company... Even though there's a rental agreement (when you sign for the vehicle) saying you won't off road it, that means about squat to some people... Why even tempt the people to do it? Just rent cars, not vehicles designed for off roading (well current SUV's seem more designed for highway use, but anyway)... However, I'm in no way condoning what that idiot did in the article, or making excuses for them...

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Me and my wife flew to Alberta, Canada a few months ago, while we were there we rented an Expedition 4x4. I just don't feel right driving a two wheel drive, I don't have any. With the fact that they have snow and ice up there, I felt very comfortable in a 4x4. I didn't go offroading, unless you count logging roads as offroading. I'm glad that there was a 4x4 I could rent.

Just a farmer, who drinks to much coffee.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif When our buddy Swissjeeper came to the states last spring, he pre-arranged for a Grand Cherokee 4 X 4 to rent and drive during his stay. Upon his arrival they presented him with some imitation 4WD thing like a RAV4 or some equally ridiculous ride, saying:" Well,...it IS a 4 X 4! What's the problem?" Fortunately, they were able to come up with a GC as promised, which he drove as carefully as he did his own rig.
There are truly "skunks" and "takers" in every area of society, and believe me, in the equipment rental business you really find them. (Been there, done that) The favorite phrase is: "Well, it was running fine when we shut it off!" (Then what's this rod hanging out of the side?") Or...."No, we didn't run it below 1800 RPM!" (Then why is there turbo slobber all over the engine at the exhaust stack) I finally got out of that biz. I would make $1000 on rental, and spend 700 on the engine repairing damage./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I think the story is totally made up- fiction. first it showed no picture of damage. we do not know if it was a rental. Second he climb the hill with small motor, stock tires, over weighed vehicle. Third it had his picture and name on the article. If true at least one ambulance chasing lawyer would be contacting him over damage. I think the smut needed a story, took some pictures out of file and took the whole trip from his desk. Nobody is really this stupid to really do this. and fourth ever yard I know look at every scratch, litter bag, etc. on the vehicle. it take about a hour to return the vehicle.

brownbagg

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
You guys better be careful what you say about this!!

Our beloved FSJ list administrator was removed from duties @ ORC for his dissapproval of that article..

OzarkJeep
NW Arkansas

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Still, even if it's 100% fiction, I think it is giving the readers the wrong impression of off roaders... That article helps make us (off roaders) look like inconsiderate morons who totally and irresponsibly endanger members of the public... That's the reason I think it should be gone...

It's a Chevy, of course he could make it up the hill with the "small" probably 4.3L, now I doubt he did it in 4 low like they claimed, you'd need some speed I think... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif But anyway, since it was a Chevy, he'd have power to spare... /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

I'm sure people are stupid enough to really do that... After a "friend" of mine bugged me quite a while about it, I finally let him drive my pickup... The way he abused that thing, I'm surprised it still runs, and I was in the truck sort of yelling at him to knock it off... If some idiots are that irresponsible with something that a friend of theirs owns, how do you think people like that would treat rental anything? Part of the reason I don't like the article is it makes it look like ORC is supporting this activity, or at least condoning it... Maybe one of the idiots I just mentioned see that article and think it's a good idea? That certainly won't be good for our off road image...

While in some places, renting 4x4 makes sense it doesn't make sense, however, where the snow and ice isn't... Snow and ice, I agree, I wouldn't like to be without 4x4, but on the roads of CA (where I think there isn't snow???) around the dunes, the only thing you'd probably need 4x4 for is the dunes, am I right?

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.