Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to install new gears and lockers, the machinest has requested that I remove the axles to facilitate installation. While I have the axles off and appart, any suggestions on maintenance and modifications that should be addressed. D44 rear getting 3:73's and and detroit, and D30 getting ARB.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (& rocks & rivers & mountians etc, You get the picture.)

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
ARB seems like a lot of $$$ to spend on a dana 30......when that 7 inch ring gear shatters and the teeth destroy the arb,, you might have been $$$ ahead starting with a different axle..

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....see it at www.jeepgod.net

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I not keen on teh dana 30 either, but to address the actual question

bearings/knuckle ujoints/brakes-hydraulics and hardware/ make sure your axle vent fittings are sealed off well and ad new longer breather hoses
maybe relocate shock mounts
this would be agood time to remount spring perches if you have a pinion angle problem, or currently run shims to correct it
clean and rust protect

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
DO NOT waste that money on a D30.. it wont last long.. and then you will be really P.O'd.. if you dont do hardcore you dont need the arb in the front.. a good posi would suffice.. and if you do plan on running hardcore.. well that d30 wont hold up to warm butter with an arb in it..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
That was more Gloom and Doom than I usually dish out on the D30.
Well I dont completely agree with all the negative on the D30, I have been running mine for over 3 years now. About a year and a half with an ARB and all of the Warn locking hub stuff and hugh strength axles. And although I have busted this darn axle many times,and in so many ways, I have yet to break the Ring or pinion gears,(must be a testimant to my gear set up prowess).Honestly though I have been running 4.56 gears(US Gear),and ARB, for quite a while through some brutal terrain, and Ive found the U joint at the outer shafts are easily the weak link,(untill my recent breakage at the right side, inner axle spline directly adjacent to the ARB).That particular break baffles me because it was a high strength axle. It was also the straw that broke the camels back as far as my continued improvements to the D30, and it is only weeks away from being replaced with a D44. But it has worked well for me(and I have a reputation that I could break an Anvil), through some rough conditions.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.

G

·
hmm i got an 81 cj 7 amc 20 rear i just threw 4.56's arb in the rear with 1 peice mosser axles .. this a good combo ? also in the front i put 4.56's with a detroit trutrack .. was wondering how i could beef up the front axles .. only running a 258 with weeber 38deg carb so not to much power

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
that amc 20 with moser shafts.. will hold up great.. atleast it should.. they are actually a hair bigger than the d44.. the amc weak link is the 2 piece shafts.. and sometimes the tubes twist.. but i wouldnt worry about twisting the tubes.. i have never seen it.. just heard about it.. Elusive is running practically the same set up..
d30 with you 258, and a posi.. should do alright.. but like stated above.. the outer u-joints in the axle shafts is the weak link .. unless you have a full locker.. and then.. well... seen plenty of R&P go.. but posi are much more forgiving...

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Lots of D30 bashing here... I've been running a D30 lets see now... since 87 on my YJ and it seems to be doing just fine with 33x12.50 tires and for the last 4 years it even has 4.56 gearing and ARB's. According to the posts above it should have died long ago. I have found that if you thrash your vehicle it will break and I don't care what you have in it. This Jeep no longer is a daily driver it just see's the trails anymore and some of the toughest ones around. I've found it is more capable than the driver in some cases./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
GP'n

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Do you recall a thread we had going a week or so ago about building a super-articulating Jeep? Well, in that thread there was some talk about a "wishbone" setup for the rear axle. It is my belief that the correct treatment for a model 20 would be a torque arm TO THE PIGGY.....DIRECTLY TO THE PIGGY....so the axle tubes are not involved in the torque-delivery process....it would then be just between the piggy and the torque-handling member. The pinion "climbs" the ring gear....the pinion pushes UP on the nose of the piggy...the piggy tries to rotate up, but is restrained by the axle tubes which are clamped into the springs. You can see that the tube attachments to the piggy have to take the strain, WHEREAS if the PIGGY ITSELF were torque-controlled, the tubes would not even know anything was going on. You could use a three-point attachment....clamp the two sides where the tubes enter the piggy, and one clamp on the nose where the outer pinion brg is......no welding......then use a "Vee" type torque arm with heim joints like the one shown on the thread. One arm would be enough...one side only. This would overcome any deficiency inherent in the model 20./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

G

·
The gears are plenty strong on the AMC 20 housing and the switch to one piece axles is great. The
problem is still the housing tubes. They bend. You have to truss the piss out of them and then they
bend next to the truss. Espescially the wide track housings because they will bend on the outside of
the spring pad. Saw 4 of them bend at Moab and the drivers weren't particularly hard on their Jeeps. At
least no harder than anyone else. Just an FYI, you can have heavier wall tubes put in your housing but
it is very expensive. Something like $8 per inch of tube but you won't bend them again. Nickmil.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info. I appreciate the weaknesses of the D30. I bought the ARB already, got kind of a steal on it. Only paid $350 for it. I like the idea of the ARB due to the fact I do a lot of off camber stuff with snow and Ice as traction surfaces. I don't want to have a locker in both ends. Another thing, the ARB is the driving force behind the onboard air system.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (& rocks & rivers & mountians etc, You get the picture.)

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
You already have the parts, install them and take it out and enjoy it. The D30 will serve you well enough, and for the most part should leave you will trail repairable failures if they do ocuure,(carry extra U joints). You may or may not opt for another front axle in the future, but I wouldnt worry about it at this point. Ive had my D30 through the Hammmer Trails, rubicon,Dusi, etc all with an ARB and 35x12.5 Swampers, and I ve always made it out under my own power.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.

G

·
I have to agree with H8monday. The Dana 30 is fine as long as you don't abuse it. I have done Holy Cross City, Independence, and several trips to Moab on my Dana 30 with a Detroit and 33's. The only breakage has been steering u-joints. Just look what Jason Bunch of Tri-County Gear has in his new Wrangler. A Dana 30 with a Detroit locker. It's still 90% driver and 10% vehicle and a good driver will make do with what he has instead of relying on bigger, better equipment to make up for a lack of finesse.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info. I cannot, or should I say will not switch front ends now. I agree, technique has prevented a lot of problems in the past, I don't plan on changing my protective nature when it comes to my equipment.

Again, Thanks.

G

·
Back to your original question, since you're using the D30 and have the shafts out, replace the axleshaft u-joints with Napa Super Strength ones ($16 ea.). H8monday is right about the axle u-joint being your weak link. I was blowing standard u-joints rather frequently when I was running a D30 with a Lock Right, sometimes tearing up the axleshaft ears in the process...a real pisser...switched to the Napa Super Strengths and didn't grenade anymore. Still cary a spare u-joint or two though.
Shain

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Everybody is set on down calling the d30 when there is not a direct bolt in to replace without cutting and machine new parts. I would almost kill for a D30, to me a 30 is perfect for what I need. We do not have rocks and the biggest rock we have is road gravel. But I,m running a d25 and it has not broke in 54 years. I know a D44 would be superior,but a scout axle is way too wide for my cj2a. Run that 30

brownbagg

G

·
did any of you see the new 4-wheel and sprot ute magazine? it uhh has a wrangelr with a DANA 30 in the frount and that is defentaly a hard core jeep, taking 6th in the warn rockcralwing chapionship, leave the 30s alone

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
don't get me wrong..an a dana 30 for about 10 years, but when i started doing harder trails,(like tellico) on a regular basis, i started popping parts.. first trip.. i popped a couple hubs, no problem.. i swapped in the warn internal spline kit. then i popped the u-join and destroyed the inner and outer axle shafts.. i put my spare in..then i was going up a steep incline on rocks and i BARELY touched the gas..BAM ring and pinion was shot.. all of this happened in aboput a months time.. that was enough for me...
it's a lot like my t-5.. i ran it for years.. no problem.. when every other one i saw was crapping all over.. i finally took it out(still working perfect) just to be safe, but i beliee it would have worked for me as long as i wanted it to.. that is a great deal on the ARB(did you buy it from dan?) and i would run the dana 30 in your case also

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....see it at http://www.jeepgod.net

G

·
If memory serves the Wrangler 30s are a lot different then the CJ ones. I think they are reverse rotation which could account for their strength when the outers are built up. Just a thought.
Travis

Inquire about my witty original saying contest/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.