Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O/T WQhat\'s the best chain saw?

Guys-I use a chain saw maybe once a year. What's the best brand/size bar for me to get?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Re: O/T WQhat\'s the best chain saw?

I own a Stihl 029. I use mine quit a bit. They are not cheap but they sure do cut nice. Mine was $320 w/case and extra blade. Maybe looking for a used or a traded one would be a better option for you. I am a believer in Stihl, I can cut circles around a Pulan or Craftsman (not to insult anyone-they are in a different class as far as I am concerned). I also heard the John Deere saws cut great too. Don't know their price.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Huskvarna /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
785 Posts

#1 Husqvarna
#2 Stihl. the stihl is a very good saw for the price. i own two. my big one is an 029 and it has lots of power and cuts excellent. i have a smaller one too that is great for cutting and pruning. unless you are doing heavy cutting, the smaller one would be fine. i will try and get you the model # tonight and post tomorrow. matt

·
Registered
1,246 Posts

Do a search, this was beat to death.

The stihl, Husky, Jonsred, are all excellent, but professional models. for only occasional use, poulan, homelite, are good. If you have money to burn, buy from the first three. If you cut an occasional tree, the others will work fine.

I don't know alot about other brands, but stay away from McCoulough. They are junk in every way, shape or form. At least models from more than ten years ago. No one I know owns them anymore.

As far as length of bar. What do you plan to cut with it? If you plan on pruning trees, or packing it with you all the time, stick with the short bars. If you spend all day cutting wood, the longer bar is easier on the back. Usually a 16" bar will cut any wood you need, anything over 20" starts to get to long.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

For occasional use, a Poulan has a great rep for the low cost. My friend treats his Poulan like crap, and it starts right up and takes more. When it finally dies, you're only out like $99. I cut a lot of wood in the winter, and prefer a Stihl. There are also good and bad models of Stihls. Some are meant to compete with low cost saws, and aren't as well built as their usual line.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
'84 K20 driver
'80 CJ-7 BBC, 1 ton
'79 K10 mud racer (for sale)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

I bought a Stihl about 10 years ago and it still runs like brand new with only one plug change. I'd recommend the Stihl.

80 CJ7 258 T176
36X12.5 Swampers
Fiberglass body

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

To my mind, there's only one brand I'd buy new. Thats a Stihl. Other brands work fiine,,but a new saw??....go with the Stihl

DrummondCJ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Stihl is what everybody I know runs. I have (2) 015 and a 039, no trouble at all...my neighbor has a 065 or something like that, it sounds like a 250 MX bike, man does it hog thru the wood. : )

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

ditto on Stihl, I have had an 029 for over a decade and it still runs like a champ!!

'85 CJ-7/360/727/D300 w/Currie Twin Stick and TeraLow 4-1 kit,Dana 44/30 w/4.56 and Detroits,SSR 35's,York AC onboard air and the TR ignition upgrade

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

I got an old homelite XL16 with the Blue air cleaner cover that I use quite often with little to no trouble. Carb probably needs some tuning but this saw
is probably old as dirt so that can be expected.
If I had ungodly amounts of money to spend on a new saw I think that I would
buy a commerical model Husky over any other saw. If I needed a new saw and was
on a budget than most any saw would work. Probably go with a Homelite, John Deere or a Poulan.

Wayne

·
Registered
295 Posts

Hands down, the German engineered Sthil, assembled in Virginia Beach, VA if memory serves me correctly. I like the 029, but that might be more than you need, just get a smaller one.

85 CJ8 Undergoing Frame-up Modifications w/258/T176/Dana300-Looking 4 oversize gas tank, & aluminum/chrome spoke wheels.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts

Husqvarna is hands down the best I have ever used.. However according to a friend of mine that works in a saw shop, The cheaper husquvarna's are made by polon (sp) so if you go cheap buy the polon. I have a Husqvarna 51 and love it. after it sits all winter, fill it with gas and oil, put on the choke pull it until it fires (usualy 2 times) switch off the choke pull it again and after a brief warm up you are cutting wood...

I would advise however to stay away from the caftsman line. We cut allot of wood the year I bought mine, and my brother had purchased a craftsman at the same time, he had nothing but problems with his and mine was only down long enought to sharpen it..

97 TJ 31's and mostly stock but seeing what I can do about that..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I asked myself this same question so I stoppped by a couple of places where professional were cutting down trees and they all were using either Stili's or poulane's(spelling).So that is what I'm going to go with when it's time to buy a new chain saw.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I've used every series of Husky, and use a 3120K every day at work. My dad has a stihl, and I've used that a bit too. Between these two, Stihls are more reliable, but Husqys are lighter and build more power. No saw to my knowledge can touch the power of the Husqy,cc to hp. You pay for the performance, but if you rely on the speed and power in a business, the extra cost disappears. For occasional use, I'd say go stihl or a used 2 series husqy(257,262,268). The 2 series seem to be tougher than the 3 series, probably due to not having to conform with emissions laws. The 3 series are over engineered at the cost of strength. The real bottm line is though, get someone to teach you how to sharpen a chain. A sharp homelite cuts better than a dull 3120. Brendan

Proud owner of the world's best running Carter BBD

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Having logged for yrs and contracted for F.S and owned up to 35 saws at one time brenden is closest
to rite huskies are hot, start easy pretty dependable but for max.dependablity Stihl is the way to go
and yea anything with a sharp chain is better than the hottest saw in the world

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I've had a Husky for 10 years with no problems. It depends on what your going to use your saw for as to what size bar you will need. Chain saws are like women(never,never,never loan them out)if you don't care buy a cheap one. If its a one time deal buy a Husky or a Stihl,they will last forever.

Edder

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Husky. Get the good oil mix too.
Merlin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Being that i come from the outdoor power equipment business...And i've sold/serviced them all....

If you want the best saw money can buy--you need the Stihl. If you dont want to spend that much, but still want a great saw at a more affordable price, then you want the Husqvarna. If you're just looking for the cheapest way out, then go to sears and get a craftsman or poulan or mccolloch, they're all the same anyway...

mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Wow,
Looks like Stihl is the overall winner of the popularity contest. Not to take anything away from Stihl, but I'll take a Jonsered any day over a Stihl. How many of you have ever heard of them (except jfralph). I have a Stihl 029 and a Jonsered and the Jonsered gets the big jobs. More important than the brand of saw is to keep your chains sharp and have extras in the saw box. You want to see nice big chips of wood flying and not sawdust.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.