Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A kind of strange question, but does anyone have any idea on where to look for scrapped straight cut gears? I am making a gate that will be made out of gears that will all turn as the gate opens (because I don't have enough to do already) and straight cut gears would be best. The problem is finding them.

TIA

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Call some machine tool dealers looking for an old junk lathe. They use a pot full of straight cut gears in the speed and feed changes. There are machine tool junkyards; just not as many of them as automotive junkyards.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Are you looking for gear to gear mesh or are you looking for a right angle set?

Old farm machinery will have a lot of straight cut transfer gears in addition to Jim_Lou's suggestion of lathe gears.

Stuff like old bailers, threshing machines, corn pickers ect often used gears to transfer power before the advent of hydraulics.

Have you considered sprockets and a chain?
Easy to get sprockets and if they will work for you it might be easier.
Just a thought...

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I'm guessing you're just looking for a collection of larger spur gears. Tooth form probably doesn't have to be perfect, and sprockets might even work.

Try some engine rebuild shops. You could probably get a collection of old timing gears and timing chain and sprocket sets, as well as some old flywheels.

Or try a gear shop - maybe they'll let you look through their trash barrel. Bad surface finish, bore damage, etc, could cause them to scrap a bunch of gears.

Good luck
Pete

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Oh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Sorry.

Don't get timing gears, they won't be what you want. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

(Thanks Jim.)
Pete

·
Registered
757 Posts
Jim has a good idea with the lathe gears most lathes have 20+ gears in them and most are stright cut. HOwever, they will mostly be 1 to 3" diameter. Also some of the nice old highend laths like Monarch and Leblond had helical gears. Ofcoarse no machine dealer is going to let you at one of these. Depending on the size and number you want also look at old truck transmissions up to 60ish as some had all straigh cut gears. Also parhaps a blownup/ rusted out warn 8274 or its predicessors.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
exactly - spur gears or anything close. Various sizes to spin at various speeds. Precision is definately not a requirment. I have another idea for sprockets and chain, and have a bunch of it. Trying for something really unique that would get people talking.

Thanks for all the great ideas. Now, I have some thoughts as to where to look in the phone book, and start making calls.

Thanks again, and if I finish this project I will post up pics. The way these projects usually end up working for me is I get 90% done in X months then come up with a better way to do it.

For the 90 degree gears I was going to use a worm gear set up. I have a power steering box out of a semi truck, but it is not ideal the way it is set up. I could probably make it work.

Thanks again for all the great ideas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts