Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
another off-topic post..../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

for those who have webpages, when you host a webpage with some webhosting company that charges xx$ per month for your domain name and space.....can you keep that domain name if you ever switch to a new host? or does it become thier property?

i dont know much about this, but have been toying with the idea of creating a webpage. I'll also welcome any suggestions for good reliable webhosting that wont kill my bank account.

any insights, please share! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

thanks!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I've been happy with Readyhosting. Not certain on all accounts, but My domain name is mine!

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Usually it is yours as long as you keep it registered. Just don't go by a fly by night co. If you want one, I can either host for you (Like Rio) or point you to some good ones. I accept jeep parts as payment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
That's how the 'TeamRush.com' name got jacked...
They claimed they owned my doman name and wanted something stupid like $11,000 for the next two years, and I had my site hosted on our company servers!

I though they were nuts and I told them so!
The going rate was about $25 a year.
Went to regester my domain with another regester company and the first one wouldn't release it...

So they CAN jack your domain name if you use the wrong company to regester...

I just got ahold of our network guy...

VeriSign, part of Network Sloutions was who jacked our company and private domain names.

Go Daddy is who we are using now, and they seem to be very good at what they do.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Go Daddy is fine (So Far) so is stargate, yahoo, network solutions ($$$) and register.com ($$$). Issue is with your website, are they helpful, availible and prompt?

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
I host with PowWeb and they registered my name through Tucows ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif )

AFAICT, the "Administrative Contact" holds the cards, unless it's hawked (for late registration, etc.) then it comes down to who can prove "rights" to the name first...

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Thor, if you were asking me, we have our websites on our company servers.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
JYG, that is the cheapest solution, as long as you have a good IT guy continually patching them if they are IIS (Windows) even Linux needs patching sometimes, Solaris (Sun Microsystems) is pretty good at keeping the bad guys out.
I for one, like to co-locate. A guy in charge of 1000's of systems is going to have to focus on the security (Vs a jack-of-all-trades).

Actually running a Linux (Apache) server on a DSL pipe is not a bad way to go from a cost persective, just need to learn unix!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts