Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I've just started a new job in FL and dont have my tools here yet, but have a few friends that do. Here's my problem.

I have a 98 ram 1500 4x4, 5.2L. Today while slowing to a light, the ABS light came on, the BRAKE light came on and the speedo died. I put my scantool (the only tool i brought with me) on it and it said P0500--speed sensor malfunction.

I believe this is the sensor on the 46RE trans. I replaced this with a new one from the dealer last december, approximately 5000 miles ago. the old one had a fine metal powder stuck to the magnet, most likely trans clutch/friction plate material, as the trans was rebuilt ~20,000 miles ago. I figured it was just wearing in. Its too dark and about to rain to mess with it tonight.

I plan to pull the sensor tomorrow and hopefully clean it off and/or replace it. Any ideas if this is the problem and why its happening?

I ask here because the dodge board is all but dead, and I figure the ZJs use virtually the same drivetrain and I know a few of you must have them. Thanks!

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
I'd say you're on the right track.

First, I'd pull and clean the sensor of any magnet fuzz or debris. The reinstall and see what happens. If it still continues to fire a MIL then I'd replace the sensor.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Not my field at all, but did the brakes stutter a little while you were slowing?
Kathy's old explorer did the same thing as you describe, plus the brakes stuttered, when one of the sensors for the ABS was going out.
Just a thought. I hope it's not this since they are pretty darn $$$ and sold in pairs, if I remember right.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THanks for the ideas guys, here's an update:

today I pulled the speed sensor from the trans. It was almost completely clean, but i cleaned it off anyway and put it in. I had the battery disconnected while i did this. I put the skidplate back on and reconnected the sensor and battery. Basically all i accomplished was losing my radio settings. here's why...

My OBDII scanner says "no codes." Yet the speedo still doesnt work, the ABS and BRAKE lights are still on. The check engine light is NOT on. The engine starts and runs as always. Only thing is cruise control doesnt work, and trans seems to shift about 500rpm higher than normal...which, i really dont mind:) I do need my speedo and cruise, and the BRAKE and ABS lights are really bright at night. I hate to take it to the dealer (STEALER) unless absolutely necessary...any ideas greatly appreciated, as this is my only vehicle a the moment...thanks!

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
Being a 4x4, wouldn't the speed sensor be on the transfer case output?

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
Ok, I went down the garden path on this one... thinking transmission control. However, the problem seems to be centered on the rear axle. That's where the speed sensor for the speedo is located, as well as the RWAL (Rear Wheel Anti-Lock brake sensor).

So, I'm wondering if there's a problem with the wiring (or ground) to the connectors?

Have ya been over any rough ground lately that may have dislodged/damaged the wiring/connectors?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Leve,

I think youre on the right track for this one. I just called a "friend" of mine who is the shop foreman of a Dodge dealer service department. He said he'd bet his money on it being the RWAL sensor on the diff. He sees it all the time. At over 100,000 miles now...i guess its time.

I checked all the wiring, it all appeared in tact visually. I havent been off road in forever with the thing--cant afford to break it right now--but it did just take a 1200 mile nonstop roadtrip. I dont have time today, but tomorrow i'll hit the local dealer and buy the sensor, replace it and erase the code and hope for the best. At $41, its worth a shot!

Thanks to all!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.