Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Off topic, but in some of my previous posts people have inquired about the Chevy II's in the picture backgrounds and asked for pictures as they were being built, so here are some. I am still working on some projects for the CJ7 however, Jeepwife and I have started working on her 62 Chevy II convertible in an effort to have it done by spring, then I can start building my 62 hardtop, as well as a rock buggy in the works. Here are some pictures taken Saturday when we removed the factory front clip and installed a Heidts sub-frame, Mustang II suspension/steering, 2" dropped spindles, disc brakes, tubular a-arms, and new inner fenders.
Before

What was removed

What was left before assembly of the new sub-frame

Sub-frame on, suspension on

A bundled up jeep wife (started to snow & carports aren't that warm)installing inner fenders. No, she isn't posing, she actually is helping build it.

Final fitting of inner fenders before being powder coated

pbm
There is a difference between being Educated and Intelligent!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike-
Since this one is going to be the wifes daily driver, we decided to upgrade the front end for a better ride, stopping & larger wheel tire combo other than that everything will be NOS or reproduction items. Power is going to be from a rebuilt 194 six & powerglide that came out of it. My hardtop is going to be built for the strip, but legal enough to terrorize the imports running around here on the streets /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

pbm

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
I had a '62 duce when I was in high school...
Dropped a 250 I-6 into it from a local race engine builder, about 300 gross horsepower.
No matter what you do to an I-6, it sounds like an I-6, so everyone laughed at it...
(until I took their lunch money!)

Why a power glide?
(it's not like you are restoring it, with the front end swap, which I agree with 100%)
Wouldn't a 700R-4 make more sense for a daily driver?
Sure will make for better fuel milage!

If you are interested, http://www.ridetech.com makes a full air ride package for that very set up, and the car will ride like a Cadillac (literally, Cadillac & Lincoln have used air ride for years).
Reasonably priced, truly bolt in, and a complete package...

So many cats, so few recipes...

G

·
Patrick how satisfied were you with the fit/finish of that subframe? I'm considering some suspension mods to my '68 Camaro and a different subframe/front suspension setup is in my plans. Mine is a straight liner right now, but I would like it to be a curve carver also. Just curious how you like Heidts frame.

[image]

'75 CJ5 with goodies
'63 CJ6 rolling chassis and body only

Attachments

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aaron- Originally I was going with the PG since I have it, the column is set up for it, and I haven't looked into other tranny options, but I really like the 700r idea. I looked at the Air ride tech stuff before (you gave me the link before) and decided to get the car done this way with the option of doing it later on. I have seen the Streetworks '67 Nova on air bags and like the idea/look a lot, theres just so many things needed to get it on the road that the air ride will have to wait, and suffer the consequences of paying more for it later.
Snowtow-
Nice looking Camaro, my dad has a 68 RS/SS he is restoring right now. I like the Heidts kit a lot. It was a simple package to deal with, had all the required parts and only took an afternoon. I had looked at C.A. Chassisworks, Heidts, Martz, Fatman Fabrications and a couple small time fabricators, and decided on the Heidts due to the completeness of the kit, price, options available, quality and recommendation of a couple street rod shops I know the owners of. The welds are great, sub-frame and supports fit perfectly, all the components are new and fit great, only the inner fenders need to be fit to the car. I still need to put the front sway bar on it, and when I do the rear end do a rear sway bar to help the cornering aspect.

pbm

·
Registered
409 Posts
Snowtow- PLease do not so any thing like that to your Camaro. Hate to see a good 68 go down hill. I am a !st gen Camaro Freak. What to you have under the hood? Here we have a 68 Camaro SS 396/375, Ordiginal paint, interior, fully resotored. Sweet ride.

Sorry, my YJ is a 90, not an 87.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Warrior has a point, I won't cut up any more early muscle cars. Just too scarce, and the new, lighter stuff is cheap, cheap, cheap....

The air ride kit is a drop in for that sub frame. It will take about a day to do it when you are ready.
Thats for the front and rear both, there are drop in/ bolt on kits for both ends.
Those are nice front clips. I like Fatman's too, but it just takes forever to get anything from them.

Chris Alston is the top dog, but like AirRide, if you want the absolute best, you will have to write the check...

So many cats, so few recipes...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts