Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5mm RGB LED I am going to wire up as an indicator light. It has 3 + sides and one shared - (Cathode). I was told a 1/2w 510 ohm resistor will allow the LED to run on a 12v system. Question is, do I have to put a resistor on each of the 3 + sides, or can I just put one resistor on the - side? As far as I remember my high school electronics, the answer is yes, but I want to make sure before I fry it and have to send away for another one.
TIA

·
Registered
946 Posts
Uhmmm Nice graph Leve but I got a headache reading his directions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I would put a resistor on each circuit if you expect more than one circuit being active at the same time. Otherwise your light output will drop as each circuit becomes active.

The reason being that if the current is being limited for example to 50 mA withthe resistor then putting two lights active will only allow 25 mA for each curcuit so the light output will be cut in half.

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Uhmmm Nice graph Leve but I got a headache reading his directions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif...

[/ QUOTE ]Hey John, did ya click on it?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Yeah, I saw the outline on the picture indicating that its a hyperlink. Thats when my headache started. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

I was wondering why the staircase graph and then I realised the voltage steps up in jumps.

{edit} OK maybe I was overdosed on Pepsi or a sugar rush or something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I'm better nooowwww... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/edit]

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Leve and John, good info Leve, I (Think) I will be ok. John, that is exactly why I asked There will be times I will use 2 colors at the same time.

I might as well tell y'all what I am doing. I bought that T-locker awhile back, and was not happy with the swich setup. So I bought 2 air solonoids with a adjustable pressure switch downstream of the LOCK solonoid. When the pressure is > 40psi, the LED will be green, when it is < 40psi it will be red. And since I have an extra color, when to York is running it will be blue (Like I can't hear it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) The locker needs 40psi to stay locked. At times I will turn my compressor off to keep it from cycling too much, and I may not be paying attention to the pressure gauge all the time. Barring any major leaks, the system should stay locked for est 3hrs before it gets to 40psi anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts