Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Jeepwife picked me up some "extra special" beer today for fathers day. She got me Sierra Nevada porter and some JW Dundee's honey brown. Now I like darker beers and all (mmmm guiness) and I've had the honey brown before too. (it's good) But I'd never had the sierra porter before. [email protected] thats good. I would make a habit of that if I could afford it here. (more $$ than guiness here
) I know it's made in the west cost so it may be local for some of you, but how many of you have had it? I'm sure they make some other types too, but that was the onley one they had.

Looks like I gotta go looking harder.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Here's this year's favorite for me; Doggy Style Pale Ale! After raising a family on an enlisted guy's pay and only affording cheap beer for years, I finally made enough stripes to buy good beer. And I learned about Guiness while living in England, though I normally chose the local pub's bitter. Anyway, while traveling this year, I discovered a new favorite; here's the web site of where its from.
http://www.flyingdogales.com/01_about_us/about_home.html

·
Registered
586 Posts
yeah, i am drinking my "special beer" also!!...busch light 30 pack on special sale for $11.99!! *LOL*....to answer your question, no never had that kind of beer. I have to go to pub down town if I want to have a guiness!!....Ben

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Sierra Nevada Porter-excellent choice. Have some in my fridge now. Another excellent Sierra Neveda offering, Bigfoot Stout. A "knock your socks off" dark dark dark beer with an insanely high alcahol content. Not for everyone. Been to Sierra Nevada's brewery in Chico, CA. A "must see" if you're in that area.

Also--Saxxer "Jack Frost"- a double bock style dark beer with a smooth taste and high alcohol content. Oregon beer.

Big Horn Brewing Company "Buttface Amber Ale". Washington Beer.

I could go on for hours. Beer is a close second to Jeepin'. But I think I'll have another beer instead!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
We have something here every year called the brewmaster's jam. The radio station that my wife works for sponsers it so I get in free. All the micro brewers from a 150 mile radius come and you can drink as much as you can hold. I have tried some weird stuff over the past few years including a chochlate beer (to thick). My favorite is Miller Lite though (I'm no snob though, the best beer is a free beer)

·
Registered
654 Posts
I tried the Capt Morgan Gold and didn't quite care for it. I just stick with Bud Light. Does fine by me. My first year of college I tried going cheap and buying the Beast but after a lil while I sucked it up and stuck with BL.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Ok-one last good 'un. Deschutes Brewery, Broken Top Bock. It's a seasonal beer. Had some today, my wife and kids took me there for Father's day. Man, is it good! Smooth, malty with a little hop bite.

Next to beer, Cap'n and coke is my favorite.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Deschutes brewery also makes another really good beer called Black Butte Porter if you are into dark beers...mmmmmm. Also, Ther is a beer from Wasatch Brewing co in Utah that is sirring up quite a controversy, so I picked some up to try. It is called Polygamy Porter. The slogans are "bring home a 6 pack for your wives" and "why have just one"...living close to the center of Mormon country (no offense meant by that) I found it pretty funny.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts

mmmmmmmmmmmmm beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer

My favorite is Gosser from Austria, anyone heard of it?

G

·
We have that Sierra Porter down here, I honestly don't care for it. My favorite is Blackend Voodoo by Dixie Brewing Co.(this one stays stocked in my frig). Another good one is Abita Turbo Dog. And if I want some foreign stuff it is either Newcastle, Guiness, Guiness Draught, Mackeson, Sam Smith Taddy Porter or Oatmeal Stout. If your spoon will standup in it, it is good.....

My affection for the dark stuff started in college. I have/had a iron stomach, and had trouble with people stealing my beer. I was used to the cheap stuff, but living in the fraternity house my frig would empty quickly. I had the only full size frig in the house and partytime meant that it would be fully stocked with everyones beer. I would always buy Michelobe Lite or Miller Lite or the such, it would always dissapear and in the morning when the "12 hour rule" came into effect(any beverage left over 12 hours in a cooler or frig belonging to someone automatically took ownership of said beverage), I would always be left with the Beast, Nat Lite, or worse yet Hamm's. So avoid this problem I started drinking beer that no one else would. Thereby still allowing the pretty females to come in and out of my room for refreshments(otherwise everyone would have just been out of my frig). It all started with Killian's Red, but soon I found the darker stuff requried less effort(less volume)...so the trend continues. Now I just like the taste.

I tried that Captian Morgan's Gold....syrup. I can't stand it. When I am looking for a girl's drink I like Sam Adams Cherry Wheat or a Hornsby's Dark. My wife likes the Hornsby's Pale. Or you can always make a White Russian pretty cheaply if you make your own Kaluaha(easy).

Jason

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Dan-If you're ever down in Park City, you gotta stop by the Wasatch Brewery. Somehow it tastes even better from the tap. Try the beer batter coconut shrimp with their Hefeweisen.
MMMMMMMMMMM, BEEEEEEEEEER! I lived in Ogden for 6 years, and a trip to Park City wasn't complete without a cold one...

·
Registered
650 Posts
Randzzz's right, Wasatch Brewery beer from the tap, it just doesn't get any better than that. Polygamy Porter was in my fridge all winter here in Ogden but have lightened up a bit for the summer time.

The folks at Wasatch Brewery admit to poking some fun at our local (Mormon) culture with their "Take some home to the wives" and the St Provo Girl advertising. What's beer all baout if not having fun?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Other than what I brew (8% and working on it!), I love the Hubsh Marzen. Now I am sure no one other than a few No. California Jeepers know of this one. A Marzen is a heavy brown with a slightly nutty taste and good %. It is also know as a Octoberfest ale. Unfortunately the bottles sold in stores suck. Only the fresh beer from the brewery, or the Liter bottles are any good. The brewery is off of I80 here in No. Cal, in a town called Davis (UC Davis is there), which is on the way to Tahoe (Rubicon). The resteraunt is called "The Sudwerk" and has the best German food for hundereds of Miles, and a HUGE beer garden. I recommend anyone comiing out this way to visit it. Take Mace Blvd and go west on the northern frontage road.

I am only raving, 'couse I have been to 90% of the brewerys here and think they are the best, and least known.

See 'em Here

·
Registered
514 Posts
I went to college at Chico State, and had more than my fair share of all of Sierra Nevada's products. The Bigfoot Ale is outstanding if you can find it. Better drink it sitting down though. THey have seasonal beers also, Bock in spring, Summerfest in Summer, Octoberfest in Fall (I can;t remember the winter) I get a case at a time of the Summerfest at our local Costco. The stuff is fantastic.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.