Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been offered an opportunity for a new position in my company. I've been doing the job part time for about 8 years now in addition to my regular job. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif However the scope of the new job is tremendous. It's exciting and scary at the same time.

Basically it went from being the guy who was told to do this to the guy who is responsible for everything. You know, the guy you always complain about him not knowing his butt from a hole in the ground.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Re: O/T Have you ever accepeted way over your head

Yep, several times. I'm leaving Denver in a couple of weeks to run a big construction job in New Haven, WV for the Engineering Co that designed the project

·
Registered
11,504 Posts

There were several times I took a job that I wasn't really ready for. I guess I'm too stupid to have worried about it much; I just jumped in and made it go.

Since opening my own shop I've taken in MANY jobs that closer inspection made me think that perhaps I'd bitten off too much to chew. But I just keep plugging away until it's done. My big advantage is that if something goes wrong it doesn't waste employee's time; just my own.

The best part of is that it's great experience. Once you know how to do a job there isn't much more to learn. It's the new ones that expand your mind.

·
Registered
10,815 Posts

If you wait till you're "ready" you'll never do it!

Go for it John - you never know what you can do till you do it!

Someone knows you can do it - else you wouldn't get the opportunity.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Try the new job, you will suceed !!... When some one up the ladder offers you a promotion it is never a gift, it is based on the knowledge that you can accomplish what is being offered.
Upper management looks at past efforts and your learning curve to accomplish challanges in your present position. Based on the past the future is offered.
Having read many of your posts you have the ability. Just assume that risk is involved in every aspect of your life, the risk you feel now is the one of " I know my current job, what if I fail in the new job". Years ago I was offered a promotion with a move from Cleveland Ohio to Columbus Ohio, I experienced the same feeling and with hind site now in full affect.... WOW WHAT A BLAST.... Good luck

G

·

You might not even realize it yourself, but because you've been working at your former position so long you may have shown qualifications or already are doing what the new position requires. If not possibily the employer sees you have the right decorum needed in that position. The skills can be cultivated. 8 years at a company is nothing to scoff at. The dedication is there. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts

First Management Position I had was one that I went for a prepress position (guy who sets up files and gets them ready to print), pretty much a grunt position, and stepped right in to Production Manager. second man on the totem poll at the print house. I had just watched three others in that posistion and all either left from frustration or were fired for incompetence.

Ya, I was nervous, but I always keep a can do attitude, and I did do. I did do well. Most of all, It's a position that I had more fun and enjoyment at than any job I've had. tryin my darndest to find another job like it.

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... to paraphrase FDR. Half our lives are lived in fear of that which will never happen. We often fail to progress beyond ourselves when we fear failure. Failure simply is a means to grow and mature if we learn from the faiure.

What's the ol' adagae about insanity, when we do the same thing over, and over, and over and expect different results.

Go for it... take the responsibily and run with it.

What do you have to loose? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... to paraphrase FDR.

[/ QUOTE ]
LEVE provides from the 'lesser' Roosevelt... which is undeniably good stuff. But better yet are Roosevelt, the Greater's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif powerfully exhorting words of encouragement:

[ QUOTE ]
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

[/ QUOTE ]
Theodore Roosevelt
26th President of the United States
Speech at the Sorbonne; Paris, France
April 23, 1910

The Marine Corps has a saying that most are promoted 2x beyond their level of competence... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif In my case, it was more like 4x. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

DO IT!

·
Registered
2,779 Posts

Recognize the opportunities that you get offered only once in a lifetime...

·
Registered
4,767 Posts

John:

Seems like that has happened to me a half dozen times in the last 9 years. Haven't failed yet, and folks have a reasonably fair chance of turning up dead if I would have screwed up too bad on most of those jobs. Just use your good sense and things should work out.

Funny thing, I have had several guys go from life long friends to people who hated me because of a rank change. One even before I knew it. So folks will treat you diffrent,, But whoopty ****,,, It is about you anyway!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
After just making a job change, i can say i knew it was the right thing to do, and i am glad i did it. I also did the 2 job deal. Just both of mine were part time. Got to be to many hours, and just too much horse poop. If it feels right to you go for it. If something doest feel right dont do it. Thats the way i always look at it.

G

·

Lets see.....you have been doing the job part time for the past 8 years? And what makes you think you can't handle it full time?

Dude....time to jump in with both feet....besides, look at the challange you made for yourself.....you can change the "it's his fault" attitude.....

Just remember, the best managers are the ones who remember their roots and the guys that work for you do so because they want to, not because they have too....don't forget to put yourself back in your old position to remind yourself how you see management.....

Even though I head up the control dept at my company, the field guys like working with me because I get down into the autoclave pit to help....next thing you know, when I need help, the guys are jumping at the chance to help me....it makes the job a lot more enjoyable...

We all expect to see your next post where you say you took the job.....we we also expect periodic updates.....

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,905 Posts

LOL... John, I've felt that way most my life. In over my head, and at a point better than I deserve.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Not to keep you guys in suspence, I accepted the job but they didn't have a salary to offer yet. So it's pending...

However we now have about 45 other positions to fill...
Any ME's, EE's Admin, Accounting people looking for a change also?

·
Registered
4,676 Posts

not that im going anywhere....but what company?

just curiousity

we have a ton of ME and EE openings as well. couple in Griffen GA, lots in central IL.

·
Registered
852 Posts

I'm starting my own business... instead of waiting for people to hire me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
13,432 Posts

I thought about that... but I'd have starved long ago...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

1 - 19 of 19 Posts