Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you haven't read this before, it is worthy of the read, if you have, it's worth rereading:

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
copy-paste-saved.

Good Read! thanks Larry

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
It's really sad how things have changed.
I graduated from HS in 1965. During my junior and senior years I was president of the school gun club! We brought guns to school to show them off at the club meetings. We'd bring them to the supervising teacher who'd lock them in a closet - not to prevent mayhem, but to prevent them from walking off! There were a few kids that might do something like that, but most wouldn't.
We had outing to the gun range too - all officially sponsored by the high school.

Now, even mention a gun on the campus and you get arrested!

I didn't lock my car or even close my windows - even parking in the school parking lot or anywhere else.
Alarm? What's that? Why?

My wife is a HS teacher now - they have a resident cop at all times - with an office on the campus! At my HS in 65, the only time we saw a cop was when he was a guest speaker - and he was greeted with open arms.

Strange double standards too - if a teacher doesn't wear a bra, she gets in trouble or fired - even if it can't be noticed under layers of clothing. Female teachers have to wear big ugly one piece bathing suits with a skirt if they use the pool.
But when braless student girls wear their pants so low they have to shave there - it's OK.
When they find drugs on a student, they confiscate them but without any penalty!

What's caused the difference? Why are drugs so commonplace? Why is crime, gangs, violence, theft, and drug addiction so accepted as "normal" now?

Is it? ---
If you were a country that had it's eyes on a decent one, a wealthy one, wouldn't you start by undermining it's youth?
Youth grows up - us old folks die off. Looks like it's working!

What will the future be like? What will our kids see? I'm glad I won't be around to see the fall of our civilization as we know it. But at the rate it's happening, maybe I will.

It has to change NOW!!!!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Well I started to school in 1965, but it was still a pretty innocent time then.
I know when I was like 10-12 old, which would've been 1970-1972. I attended a YMCA camp, called Camp Elliott, which was named after my great grandfather, since he donated the 50 acres for it to be build on.
They had a shooting range, and we were given single shot .22s to compete in target shooting against each other. We were usually supervised by teenagers that of course older than us.
Nobody shot each other, or even had any disputes with each other, during the competitions that were held.
I also remember a friend of mine, doing a high school report, around 1974, where he brought a German Mauser pistol to school to do a report on. His father had collected it off of a dead Nazi in WWII. There was no problems.
One of my high school teachers would sometimes spend the whole class time discussing guns. It was usually a trick by us students, we knew he loved talking about guns, and would completely get off of the class subject, and forget to give us any homework! Hehehe! I miss those conversations, with him, the students just love sharing something in common with a teacher, that was fun to talk about, and interesting to us, when we could, he knew what we doing, he just love to talk guns.
I think much innocence has been lost to the way the world has become, too busy for parents to be good parents, too much time for the kids to be influenced, by bad influences.
And those bad influecnes are everywhere today.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
In about the second grade, around 1954, one of my friends brought a Luger to school. A teacher saw it and asked him if it was safe. He replied that it was because his dad had removed the firing pin. She accepted that answer, and that was the end of it.

About the same time I used my pocket knife to dig some .22 bullets out of the dead tree that my dad and I were using for target practice. Some of the best ones I pressed back into spent shell casings. Except for the firing pin dent they looked live, although slightly beat up. They were confiscated at school, but returned to me at the end of the day with an instruction to not bring them back.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Glad I lived way back THEN...
Wizzer motor bikes, 22" Mossberg strapped on the back, passed by cops that waved at you, they knew you were going to Fairview Park Ohio Rifle Club (NRA sanctioned).
Rifle in the school locker common sight.
Teachers that hunted and talked about it. Yep, no one got shot, or even thought of shooting a fellow student.
The worst thing that could happen: Some parent telling you "stop it or I will call your mother"..
1957 Brig guard in the Navy, why?? I could shoot and the low life in the brig knew it.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Thanks for the good read LEVE. But I hate it when I relate to something like that which is so "days gone by" that it makes me feel old. (/ older than I am /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

I think without so saying so on this one subject.........it hits the nail on the head.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
i was born 70 years too late i guess /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

my HS still had a rifle team though, but it was a military school.....every so often i hear about a public school that has a shooting team....but its rare....

i guess since i never knew those times i cant lament them....ignorance is bliss /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
875 Posts
I was born in 1960, and I was lucky growing up in such a rural area as a kid, even during the late '60s, and early '70s.
My dad would give me money to ride my bicycle down to a store a couple miles away.
Where they sold beer, and pick him up a six pack of beer, a maybe a pack of cigarettes for him.
The store owner there, would always joke with me about whether, or not? I was taking this beer, and cigarettes back to my father?
Of course he knew I was, and I knew better than to lie to him, he'd check with my father to make sure, I brought this stuff home!
And of course I knew, my a$$ would be in sad shape if I hadn't!
Amazing how times, have changed.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
The worst thing that could happen: Some parent telling you "stop it or I will call your mother".

[/ QUOTE ]

And here we have the reason and the root too MOST ALL problems like this in our society. Back then, heck even when I was a kid in the 70's and early 80's, that actually ment something.

Back then: "Oh crap, She's gonna call my mom! Does she know my phone, does she even know who I am? I don't care, I'm not gonna take a chance in Mom and Pops finding out. They'll Kick my [email protected]!!!"

today: "You need her number?"

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I graduted HS in 1967, I used to bring my shotgun to school and kept it in a gun rack in my pickup until the dean of boys decided it would be safer in his office. I would carry it across campus from the parking lot to his office each day and back again during pheasant season. This did prevent me from cutting afternoon classes and going hunting.
In College the first year I lived in a campus dorm and kept my shotgun/rifle/pistol and ammo there.
Yes, sad how people (not the times) have changed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts