Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
This mill doesn't NEED any grist! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif It's quite gristy enough, thank you very much.

Good article though.

Now there's another one I'll have to watch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,706 Posts
Are you trying to get Raduckal to ask, “Geez, LEVE did you get that from Taz?,” again.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Mr. Sobran needs to lay down with a cold towel on his head.

He quotes Bismarck?? That civil libertarian leader?? Bismarck's ruthless political dealings in late 19th century Europe were one of the root causes of World War One. Another German leader and great lover of democracy, Adolph Hitler, named a battleship after him. (No, the ship was not named for the capital of North Dakota; that's a popular misconception./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif).

What case does Mr. Sobran cite to plead his point?? Perhaps the misuse of eminent domain; the taking of American citizen's property so the township may build a golf course or a Walmart??? No, he tries to play on one's sympathy by using the unlicensed puppy story....Oh, his poor embarrassed grandkids......

Does Mr. Sobran know that here in my city, there are hundreds of unlicensed "puppies" and that every so often one of these "puppies" escapes from its owner's good treatment and maims a child flagrantly playing in their parent's back yard. Does he realize that not only does the child have to risk losing his/her limbs but since there is no record that the unlicensed "puppies" have had their rabies shots and the kid has to endure the rabies treatment. Has that ever happened in Mr. Sobran's neighborhood?? It's happened here.

One wonders what laws Mr. Sobran would like repealed. This reminds me of a National Lampoon spoof of the Nixon Watergate era, where Nixon is quoted as saying "If there are laws we disagree with, let us work to change them. But let's not obey them until they are changed."

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,706 Posts
Hypocrite!

So what did you do? Apparently you didn’t like what he said but you can’t refute it so you take the low road and attack the writer.

You attach his humorous opening by attacking his source. He didn’t even claim to be sure that it was Bismarck that he was quoting and so what if he did? I’ve never met anyone who didn’t say something intelligent once in a while, even GW Bush and JYG. Even Thor came up with the advice don’t feed the Taz, not unless you are ready to be straightened out anyway. Then you go farther and associate his source of the quote with Hitler.

Then you condemn him for using puppies and grandchildren in an example he gave of an unintentional violation and the plagues and threat that came his way because of overreaching laws and the overzealous enforcement of them.

Not one word as to the gist of his article, you only try to invoke fear with the a comment, “One wonders what laws Mr. Sobran would like repealed.” and quoting some line from National Lampoon.

I’ll give you an example of a stupid out of date law that once existed here in Kansas and of people probably not unlike yourself that thought it should have only been selectively enforced. After the Federal Government had passed and then repealed prohibition, Kansas still wanted strong liquor laws. You could go to a bar but you couldn’t buy anything but 3.2 beer. You were allowed to buy strong liquors and 5% only at the package liquor store.

Well, a man named Vern Miller, our Kansas Attorney General at the time, started enforcing this law and was not selective as to the who he enforced it against. Vern Miller had arrests made of airline attendants for selling alcohol while flying over the state of Kansas. Most people thought Miller to be a crackpot but a few of us saw what he was doing. When asked about his actions, Vern Miller stated that he was going to enforce the laws on the books as they existed. He added if you don’t like the law, change the law, don’t ask him not to enforce it.

Kansas now has liquor by the drink with the restriction that more than half of your gross sales must be from other than the sale of liquor. Now you can buy a drink in a plane over the state of Kansas. Some nice restaurants moved in and we no longer had to go to Missouri to dine somewhere besides McDonald’s. Well, all of that is changing back again with the strict smoking bans which the county governments are putting in place. So what right does government have to say that you can’t allow the use of a legal product in a private establishment that you own?

I’ll give you one area in which I would like to see at least some consistency in the law. It seems that you could have a traffic accident with a pregnant woman, cause her to miscarry, be charged with manslaughter and be sued in civil court for the wrongful death in the name of the unborn child even though the woman was on her way to the abortion clinic at the time of the accident.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
You have completely missed my point, which is completely understandable to me because you always seem to be angry at everything and you let your anger dim your view.

Of all the things that Mr. Sobran could have railed against, much more important in the scheme of things than a small fine for an unlicenced pet, he chose that one. Doesn't that seem just a little trivial to you. If I had a choice as to what inconvience the big bogger man government was going to visit upon me, I would be much more concerned about them taking my property than I would be for that.

I gathered from the article that LEVE posted that Mr. Sobran is only concerned about the laws that seem unjust to him, rather than what is real tyranny. All in all it was a waste of an opportunity to really hold a mirror up to the American people to get them to effect good change in our society. In the end, it us who keep these politicians, like your AG in Kansas, in office.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Dammit, LEVE! See what you've done? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

You angling to get your old job back? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

For some reason this reminds me of the guy who came home from work, and as he was running to the den shouted at his wife, "Quick, Honey, bring be a beer before it starts!"

She was a little annoyed but brought him a beer as he sat in front of the TV. A while later he yelled, "Quick, Honey, bring be another beer before it starts!" Again she brought him a beer. A little while later he yelled again, "Quick, Honey, bring be another beer before it starts!"

This time she said "Who in the H-E=double-hockey-sticks do you think you are, the King of Persia? And who do you think I am, your personal slave? I work too, you know! All day around this house cooking and cleaning and doing your laundry! You can't just order me around like a common barmaid! Get your own d**n beer! Who do you think put you in charge of this outfit? And another thing, . . . . ."

And he said, "It's started!"

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh... I was just throwing out a a site that could stir up a little thought. It gets the brain going and the blood pumping early in the morning. I find that a good thing.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I find that a good thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah well, you don't have to ride herd on these critters any more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah well, you don't have to ride herd on these critters any more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And... that's also a good thing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to cause you any trouble and if you want me not to give my opinion on this or any other "O/T" topics, just let me know and I'll stop.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
if you want me not to give my opinion on this or any other "O/T" topics, just let me know and I'll stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all. Opinions are fine. I just feel obligated to scan them all because I don't want them descending into real nastiness, although several posts lately have been very close to the line. If I could just count on everyone to keep them civil it would make me very happy.

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
Other than the Bill of Rights -

What laws GIVE freedoms?

Don't they always say what you CANNOT DO rather than CAN DO?

How many laws are on the books now?

Think about it!

With NO laws, it's total freedom (and mahem) - until someone takes over and makes laws. Somewhere in between is the ideal point - unfortunatly we have gone way beyond that point!

It slowly evolved to where we are, it can be reversed slowly too - we don't really have to start over!

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you want me not to give my opinion on this or any other "O/T" topics, just let me know and I'll stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all. Opinions are fine. I just feel obligated to scan them all because I don't want them descending into real nastiness, although several posts lately have been very close to the line. If I could just count on everyone to keep them civil it would make me very happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,706 Posts
Re: O/T Grist for the mill *DELETED*

Post deleted by CJ7Taz

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
I would expect that you, Mr. Sobran or anybody else who wants to own one gets the dog licensed so it may be verified that the dog has had its proper shots. Also, since the dog is properly licensed, the dog's owner could be taken to task if the dog escapes from the owner's house/yard, etc. and hurts or kills anybody, especially a young child. Mr. Sobran was not acting very responsibly when he allowed ( do you take a nap while watching your grandchildern?) his grandchildren to take an unlicensed dog for a walk. In my opinion, he is to blame for the whole affair and his article came across to me as if he were blaming the police officer who issued the ticket. Please remember that ignorance of the law is no excuse; although I'm pretty sure that most Americans know that dogs are required to be licensed; it's just one of those country wide common requirements. Let me pose a hopefully never to happen senario to you concerning your own grandchildren, in which an unlicensed rabinous dog attacks your grandchildren (despite your diligence) while they were innocently playing in your back yard. Would you want to know who was responsible for allowing this menance out in public? I would venture to guess that you would. In that case, a law or ordinance to have the dog licensed would be a good thing, would it not? Now, is my position one of a kid or puppy hater? I'll leave it to your judgement; I may have been guilty of being just a little too much tongue in cheek in the way I presented it, I'll admit. Sorry if you could not catch the humor. However, Mr. Sobran could have cited a much better example to get his point across. Sometimes when people protest a self evidently good law, I read it like he's pissed off at the world when he should be mad at himself and blowing off steam; like parking knowingly in a handicapped spot, when you're not handicapped, at the supermarket lot and then yelling at the cop when he gives you a ticket for parking there. I'm sure you've seen that happen; I have.

Perhaps I'm wrong and I'm sorry if I am but you come across to me as a very angry man in your writings. I've not called you any names; yet you insist in calling me a hypocrite, as well as child and puppy hater. That is a sure sign that you are indeed angry, to me at least.

My wife's family lost their home to the I-95 construction thru Philadelphia in the 1960s. Yes, they were compensated but it was nowhere near enough to pay the mortgage on the property. Sometimes even when eminent domain is a good thing for the public in general, some citizens get hurt. Should they have to sacrafice their property (and what is property but an extension of their lives) so the rich may putt out? Believe it or not, it has happened in Pennsylvania.

Sorry about your Kansas AG point, I did not read that part over well enough.

BTW, love the 'there you go again " thing; very Reagan of you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,706 Posts
Where have you been, I’ve been waiting for you.

I’ve deleted my former post, its purpose was only to demonstrate how one small, insignificant comment can be exaggerated to make the writer look bad. It probably caused Jim greater concern than it did you, thinking that his worst fears had become reality.

You do seem to have a big problem with puppies though, so I choose just to ignore you.

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[ QUOTE ]

What laws GIVE freedoms?

Think about it!

With NO laws, it's total freedom (and mahem) - until someone takes over and makes laws. Somewhere in between is the ideal point - unfortunatly we have gone way beyond that point!

It slowly evolved to where we are, it can be reversed slowly too - we don't really have to start over!

[/ QUOTE ]

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
I've been at work, where I'm usually at during the day. I don't have access to the internet there.

Sorry you feel like you have to ignore me. I don't ignore you just because you hate G.W. Bush, for instance. Truth be told I don't hold any animosity towards you at all, I may not understand or agree with you most of the time but that doesn't mean I don't find you interesting.

Something had occurred to me during my absence, Mr. Sobran is a hero of yours, isn't he? I find that extraordinary. You actually have a hero. Good for you; it makes you seem much more human. You might want to choose a better one though, if a dummy like me can shoot holes in his in his position, just imagine what somebody who actually is a trained debator could do. I don't actually think that winning or losing an arguement really means that much to you; I know it really doesn't matter to me. I think you enjoy bantering with the people on this BBS. I can't blame you for that. Problem is you are painting yourself into a corner; now there is a "don't feed Taz" thing afoot and it seems to me that some contributors here just aren't paying attention to you anymore (myself not included). I think that troubles you afterall, being ignored is a hurtful thing, I know because you are now ignoring me. So why don't you try lightening up a bit. Stop throwing junk and off speed stuff all the time. Groove a fastball to them once and a while (I'm not asking for a gopher pitch; that would not be interesting enough. I would guess that others on this board would not want a gopher ball either.)

You have a nice sigature , in a quaint Arthur C. Clarke/HAL sort of way. However, it is slightly inaccurate. Allow me to suggest an improvement.

There are 11 kinds of people in this world; those who understand Taz, those who don't (but find Taz interesting) and those who find Taz tedious and boring. Find a way to keep the 11 catagory to a minimum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

What laws GIVE freedoms?

Think about it!

[/ QUOTE ]

I quite agree; however, the question is which laws should we discard? We don't want to 'throw the baby out with the bath water.' I'm sure you've heard it said that we are a nation of laws, not of men. If we have no law at all, then we are at the mercy of gang/mob rule. We become brutes then, do we not? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1 - 20 of 25 Posts