Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since these kind of topics are hot lately on the board, I thought I would share George Carlin's views:

CONSTITUTION
They keep talking about drafting a Constitution for Iraq. Why don't we just give them ours? It was written by a lot of really smart guys, it's worked for over 200 years, and we're not using it anymore.

TEN COMMANDMENTS
The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments in a Courthouse? You cannot post "Thou Shalt Not Steal," "Thou Shalt Not Commit Adultery", and "Thou Shall Not Lie" in a building full of lawyers, judges, and politicians! It creates a hostile work environment!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
i dont always disagree with the guy....esp when it comes to lying cheating and stealing politicians.....

....but man i dont like him.....he comes off as such a hack in my opinion....one of those people who should just shut up and go away

ugh

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Greg that's because you just don't get it.

Carlin is what he is, not that he even believes what he says. Very often if you make someone look at things from a completely reversed perspective they see something very different than what they expected. They have more understanding and real perspective.... Never mind you won't get it.

You likely can't laugh at Robin Williams either.

Good thought there Scott, it was worth a try. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here's a Carlin quote: "Boo hoo too bad for you"

A very different Carlin character.... So what character was it? Those of you with kids or grandkids are disqualified and can't answer lol.

Dale

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I like carlin always have, course I get a kick outa Robin Williams too. I always thought Carlin was one of the most relatable Comics I have ever heard.

Don't lable me old, but you are talking about Little david arent you dale?

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
oh no, i get it.....

and why did i know you of all people were going to come to his defence /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

it has nothing to do with what he says....just that he rants like a bitter old man shaking his fist at some young punks... the guys gonna work up a heart attack one of these days.... i agree with some of his stuff.....like Michael Savage (radio host) he's sometimes got the right idea.....but he comes across as whiney and cranky rather than intelligent and elloquent........its 100% about the delivery, 0% about content

I prefer social/political commentary to be delivered by the likes of Bill Bennet and Dennis Prager...also radio hosts....but they always seem very calm and collected and intelligent.....(Dennis more so than Bill)

i just dont dig the aggitator kinda peple.....i'm wired enough as it is without someone getting me all worked up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Robin Willians has his funny moments....he plays a really good crazy guy though.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
oh no, i get it.....

and why did i know you of all people were going to come to his defence /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

it has nothing to do with what he says....just that he rants like a bitter old man shaking his fist at some young punks... the guys gonna work up a heart attack one of these days.... i agree with some of his stuff.....like Michael Savage (radio host) he's sometimes got the right idea.....but he comes across as whiney and cranky rather than intelligent and elloquent........its 100% about the delivery, 0% about content

I prefer social/political commentary to be delivered by the likes of Bill Bennet and Dennis Prager...also radio hosts....but they always seem very calm and collected and intelligent.....(Dennis more so than Bill)

i just dont dig the aggitator kinda peple.....i'm wired enough as it is without someone getting me all worked up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Robin Willians has his funny moments....he plays a really good crazy guy though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well no you don't actually.

Sorry I don't have any reference for the social/political commutators that you mentioned, have no idea where to find them.

Greg.... you have to do what ever it is you have to do, and think whatever it is you have to think.... and no I won't ever understand it (I'm thankful for the difference).

Yep you are wired up just a little different since you have not watched as history rolled by... you were not born yet... and you didn't actually study history, you slept through the class.

Those that don't study history are doomed to repeat it. It's true that I'm not a great student either, I just tried to stay awake.

Might be my opinion that you should remove your head from your a.....

Oh never mind, I'm sure you will make all of the correct choices as the world turns (not). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dale

BTW: Get a damn spell checker or I'm coming to unplug your PC and Burn it.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Greg, when I was your age, Carlin was an agitating young man (as opposed the the "old man" image you have of him). He still had the same topics, but also pushed for changes in the drug laws. I hated him then, but came to enjoy and understand his humor. Take a little closer look and see the funny side of him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Clearly because i dont like Carlin

I must:
1) have my head up my ass
2) will make nothing but the wrong choices as the world turns
3) literally have slept through all my history classes

(having different tastes must have nothing to do with it)

that is quite possibly the worst arguement i've ever heard. Dale, i used to think that you and i could agree to disagree, and at the end of the day all was well...unlike some other people here i disagree with (*cough*cough*TAZ).... but that last post was pretty friggin' offensive...and i take that very very personally....

and no, i'm not going to get a spell checker, cuz my posts are perfectly understandable, despite my poor typing and use of internet slang, get over it

·
Registered
530 Posts
Boyz-boyz-boyz -

Get a grip.

Greg, I'm not jumpin' ya.
But I don't think you do get it.

Carlin is a comedian, not a political comentator.

He is brash, crude, offensive, opinionated, thought provoking, and basicly a rabblerouser.

I think the guy is great - he was my hero as a teenager.
(Toledo Window Box)
I even have a paragraph from one of his skits tattooed on my back.

But, not everyone finds him funny.
And you don't HAVE to like or agree with him.
[email protected] Bells, even I don't find all his stuff funny.

But you do have to "get it" - that he is a comedian.

One of his opening lines is things that make you go "Hmmmmm?"

If he makes you think outside the box. Even if he pisses you off in the process, he has done what he admits to trying to do.

You may all return to your /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wall.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/chair.gif

I'll be over here chillin'

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jeez, I should have listened to the little voice that said:

"If you post Carlin, someone's gonna get hurt"

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Some of his stuff is uncomfortably crude (Uh, his cameo in Road Trip comes to mind) and he does go a little too far on some subjects. But what I like about him, different than most comics, is he makes you think about everything, all the time you are listening to him.

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,706 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Yep you are wired up just a little different …

[/ QUOTE ]

I told hem and I told him, "DON'T TRIM THAT COAX." But would he listen.

You mean the "The Seven Words You Can Never Say On Tv" haven't come up yet? Nevermind, I think you can say most of them now.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yep you are wired up just a little different …

[/ QUOTE ]

I told hem and I told him, "DON'T TRIM THAT COAX." But would he listen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Taz made a funnay!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/neener.gif

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
its fine to think that i dont get it....no problem there....i think i do get it, i know hes supposed to be funny, but like i said before...i dont care for his style, nor anyone else who i see as crude/brash/offensive.

if i dont get it...then fine...i dont get it....im really not too worried about it

my problem lies when someone says i have my head up my ass and i will make all the wrong choices in life because i dont like some comedian.....whats up with that>?

couldnt come up with a better comment dale? had to resort to "I disagree with you, therefor you are stupid" types of arguements?? ad hominem anyone? if you believed that i didnt get it there wasnt a need to get personal...now i just think you're a dick

Thor: nothing wrong with those qoutes...they are funny cuz they are all toooo true /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
taz musta posted when i was typing....

getting crap from taz is fine....because i dont personally expect much out of him ....

i'll leave the coax thing for some other time since by the end of that thread we were actually agreeing but saying it in such different ways that it was a lost cause

just thought dale and i were "cool"...... hence why im offended

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Cuz it's all fun and games...Till someone puts an eye out...

Then it's really damn funny

1 - 20 of 57 Posts