Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday! the 21rst! i will finally be proud to be an american........because it will be the day I BECOME an american! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hurray!

I'm also swearing into the air national guard (as a TACP/ROMAD/and eventually a JTAC) the next week.....kinda my way to put in my "Buck-O-Five"...kinda nervous but i wont be leaving for training till january, so i have lots of time to stew in my nervousness after that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

just thought i'd share....i'm pretty excited to Finallllllly get it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Re: O/T FRI..only then, will I be Proud to be AMER

Let me be the first to congratulate you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

·
Registered
668 Posts

Congrats...help make a difference!

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

thanks guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

yup, just 3 more days.....but whos counting....oh wait..I'M COUNTING! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
6,870 Posts

You live in Peoria Ill. and drive a Jeep...
I couldn't tell you weren't an American!

Being an American is a state of mind,
Being a citizen is the real challenge.

Most folks turn the two around.
They take being an American as being some monumental, God given event.
It's not.
For most of them, it's just a circumstance of nature they were born in the US.

To be a citizen means you are going to take personal responsibility for the care and upkeep of our way of life.
No standing aside and saying "Someone should do something about that."
It's up to YOU to do something about that!
That's exactly what you are doing by joining the military!

Glad to hear you are stepping up and taking personal responsibility!
You will be a fellow military man, and later a veteran.
You will be a part of the largest stand up and take charge crowd in the country.
You will have the right to stand tall! Salute that flag, and say, "I'm making a difference!".

Oh man, I sound like a Readers Digest!

Anyway, you are doing something while most of the 'Native born' crowd quotes bumper stickers and whines about gas prices...
You're a good man and I'm damn proud of you!

·
Registered
201 Posts

Congratulations, and Welcome Aboard. JYG pretty much said it all. As a veteran and US citizen I am proud to keep company with people such as yourself.
Dave

·
Registered
22 Posts

congratulations Greg, its about time that it came together for you.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts

Thumbs up for you Greg. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Glad to hear it.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts

Congratulations! And thank you for wanting to serve.
May I ask for a little more of your story?

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

thanks all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif i feel the love /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
May I ask for a little more of your story?

[/ QUOTE ]

mines isnt interesting...my parents is the better story.

the short version:
dad came to the US (from belgium), when i was a young'n, with a family of 5. on a job that paid 18,000 a year...which i've been told is about 30,000 today.

My dad spoke english at this point but my mom and my older sis and bro didnt ..i couldnt talk at all.......

my mom learned the language...went to school at nights and got a certificate/degree/something in respiratory therapy.

dad moved up at his work..became some VP.....later he left and started his own company....

mom went back to school again to get her RN.....

dads company took off well by the time i was a teenager...made enough that we were really never left wanting. He "retired" this year when he sold his company....for his retirement he's starting an other business /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif not because he has too, but because he wants too....he's somewhere in his mid-upper 50's.... i lose track /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

of course it wasnt always perfect..by any stretch..., but its a pretty cut and dry "American Dream" story....the reason people come to this country. the family was never on welfare or food stamps etc. dad and mom came and worked thier posteriors off!

my dad, sister, and brother, have all recently become americans....my turn next!....then my mom...shes taking her own sweet time since she doesnt have any specific reason for needing it...other than just to have it. (green card, she can stay here forever)

thats thats about it!

but if anyone asks.....we're just here to do jobs americans wont do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
1,905 Posts

Greg, That's a great story. Thank you for sharing it. I'd like to meet you.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts

I served with Belgian NATO troops when I was in.
Damn fine bunch.
Good sense of humor, no back stabbing or cowardice (not like the frogs).
Well balanced bunch that were fun loving but got the job done when the chips were down.
If it weren't for Belgians we should be using anyone that speaks french for a punching bag...

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to meet you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raduckal, I'm sure you have met him at the Badlands Bashes.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
and if you havent, I'm sure you'd be disappointed if you did /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure I know I was.....j/k, lol

·
Registered
852 Posts

Congradulations!!! And thank you for completing the process and legally becoming an American!!!!

·
Registered
2,779 Posts

[ QUOTE ]

I served with Belgian NATO troops when I was in.
Damn fine bunch.
Good sense of humor, no back stabbing or cowardice (not like the frogs).
Well balanced bunch that were fun loving but got the job done when the chips were down.
If it weren't for Belgians we should be using anyone that speaks french for a punching bag...

[/ QUOTE ]

Half of them speak Dutch.

And Greg, congrats for making the statement...

·
Registered
1,905 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to meet you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raduckal, I'm sure you have met him at the Badlands Bashes.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I vaguely remember.
But then when Dirt Dog introduced you to me, I said, "What's your user name on the BBS, Will?"
So sometimes things slip by me. LOL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts