Off Roading Forums banner

O/T Dodge Ram tire info needed

526 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  jfralph 
#1 ·
This is for my tow rig so maybe not so far O/T.

Wondering what the largest tire size that I can fit for a 99 Dodge ram 2500 with my stock suspension.

Stores say 265/75/16 is the largest, but I think I can go bigger.

Looking for personal experience.
Thanks as always guys

See less See more
#2 ·
I have 285/75/r16's on my 96. I've heard of people running 305's or 315's, though the latter may rub without lift. With the larger sizes wider wheels should be necessary. The 285's made a dramatic increase in performance on soft ground for me- its my landscaping truck so I drive on people's yards a lot. Hope to get the 305's this year though.

Andy

#4 ·
I put 285/75r16 on to dodge trucks almost weekly on the stock wheels so i know that they will fit. It may be possible to get a little larger tire on there also but i dont know for sure

#6 ·
Excellent, I bought that size tire this afternoon, mounting tomorrow. Thanks for everything guys. This is why I belong to this group. Such general knollage is in here.

#7 ·
boston, mine are on stock rims, thinking about going with a larger rim though... with the 33's

So you're mounting 33's? I hope these aren't on the stock rim, if they aren't, what kind of rims are you going with?

The reason I wouldnt put 33's on a stock rim, the 285's are about maxed out width wise for the skinny rims. I can't run full pressure on them or the tires become too rounded, making the tread wear more in the center. Max pressure on mine is 50 psi, I'm running about 35 right now and am not having problems with heat from flexing too much. If I had wider tires though it would probably not work to lower the pressure enough(safely) to keep full contact with the road.

Andy

#9 ·
In reply to:

Max pressure on mine is 50 psi, I'm running about 35 right now

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't set your tire pressure based on what is printed on the tire. Fill your tires to what the door sticker or owners manual says. Just make sure that the door sticker is not more than the tire is rated for.

#10 ·
"Don't set your tire pressure based on what is printed on the tire. Fill your tires to what the door sticker or owners manual says. Just make sure that the door sticker is not more than the tire is rated for. "

I disagree. That might be the best for someone who is not automotive smart, but for someone as savvy as a jeeper I would suggest getting a pressure vs. load rating chart from tire manufacturer, and weighing you vehicle, each corner preferably, and going from there. When you change tire sizes, you need to adjust pressures accordingly.

For example, my truck came with E rated 265x75x16 tires. Max load is approx. 3400#s at 80psi. My new tires are 285x75x16's and they have a max load of 3400#s at 60psi. The door sticker says to keep them at 80 psi. I know we all would be smart enough not to raise it it 80 psi on a tire rated for 60 psi, but even at 60 psi, the tire is grossly overinflated.

While It is ok to overinflate the tires a little, as you know, bad wear and handling will result from grossly overinflating the tire. I got a chart from the tire maker, (BFG), and weighed my truck. I now have 55lbs up front and 45 in the back. If I plan on carrying any weight, I bump up the pressure to accomidate it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.