Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction to find parts. A friend has a 91 mazda b2600 pick-up that isn't getting spark. He's pretty sure it's the crank angle sensor, which is located inside the distributor, but he can't order just that part from the dealer or the chain parts stores. They only sell new or rebuilt distributors. I can't understand how they get this part to rebuild the dist. but we can't find it anywhere. any suggestions? The prices for stock parts for this thing is insane, I could probably buy all MSD stuff for less.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He told me the dealer didn't have the scanner for his model anymore, and he didn't have any luck with the parts stores either.

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
As your buddy if there's a malfunction light showing on the dash. OBDII should store a code and throw a Check Engine, or something similar, light.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks Leve. The reason he thinks it's the sensor, is that he had it apart, and noticed one of the connections was broken. His neighbor soldered it up for him and it ran good for a week or so, now he lost spark again. He's just not sure if somethings making the sensor go bad or not.

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
Then he's likely right.

I'd do an ohm check of the wires and connector pins as I wiggle the wire. There may be a break in the wiring, under the insulation where it can't be seen.

·
Registered
294 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
As your buddy if there's a malfunction light showing on the dash. OBDII should store a code and throw a Check Engine, or something similar, light.

[/ QUOTE ]

'91 would be OBDI

It may or may not store the code. It should be a Ford EEC-IV computer, though, so any competent repair shop should be able to read the codes. There should also be a way to trigger the codes. Check out a Ford Ranger forum. Rangers and Mazda B2000 are the same truck.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
appreciate the info guys. still can't get over how difficult/expensive it is to get parts for this, guess i'm spoiled dealing with jeeps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts