Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to put one in mine as the original masonary one is damaged due to age. Got estimates to do it at around $2k /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. SO looking online I see I can buy everything for uder $500 shipped to my door as a kit. It looks pretty easy to do. So I called the company and it still sounds easy, like a couple hrs work. So am I missing something? $1500 for two hrs of work is crazy.

So let me know if you have any tips or suggestions or even your experiance if you've done it.
Thanks.

BTW this is what I have in place and need to just install a liner and cap.

Freestanding woodburner with pipe (6")running up then horizontal into wall/chimney about 6' high.
About an 18' chimney thats totally straight.

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
Nope, you're not missing anything, it's a little more than a couple hours of work, but it's still easy. Just make sure the joints are solid.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
If it takes two hours to do, figure three hours portal to portal. Two guys at $100 an hour each is $600. 30% markup on the product is $150, and add another $750 for insurance coverage . . . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif There you go. Two grand.

In all seriousness, liability insurance has to be a big expense for doing that kind of work.

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,706 Posts
You forgot travel time to and from the job. Mileage, tool expenses, breaks, benefits (hospitalization insurance, vacation, paid holidays, retirement plan), accounting, payroll, scheduling, office, etc.

·
Registered
484 Posts
geez, if all those benifits were offered back when i did this in 2000, i'd have stayed on with the local chimney sweep shop...no beni's, break time is travelling between jobs,shop owner did provide tools & truck tho...real reason i left is the working at hieghts with no fall protection makes me nervous

was only in on a couple of liner installs, kinda a PITA, you are talking about the metal "tube" that fits inside the original square tiles?

i wouldnt go "cheap" on this item, i'd rather feel comfortable with the performance of the liner...cheap = thinner metal
works ok but needs to be cleaned religously at LEAST once a season, suggest a chimney cap if ya dont have one(mix rainwater and creasote=rotted liner and a bad smell in the house)/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

edit-- my guess is a good portion of that $2k is for the sweeps liability insurance...if they "f" it up and your house burns down, its' on them...if you do it..its' on you

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had it guessed as insurance was BIG factor in "an open fire in a house" type of thing. And no I didn't look at the cheapest liners but rather the best they offered. Stainless mix with tungston in it, was the best they had on every site I looked at. I don't want to burn down my house for a few bucks. That was the reason I was "scared" to look into it myself from the start, but not so sure I see it that way now. It's all about the liability and cash. I have a woodburner in the garage and have maintained it for years on the cheap but this was a little different so I was trying to be safe. But I'm not going to be raped at the same time.
Thanks for & keep the comments coming.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
It is easy I have done it 2 times helping other people, and even put in a flex pipe once.

Really easy,,,

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I did it myself, took about 12 hours over two days. The biggest part of the time was the clean up prior to the installation and removing & reinstalling the insert.

Not sure if required in your area ..... Permits! Government has to get it's share.

Good luck

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GUess I forgot to add that the chimney is already clean. I had a sweep come to clean it. Thats how I found out the liner needed attention. It was NASTY!!!!!!!!!!! He took 6 grocery bags of crap out of it and said it haden't been cleaned in a long time AND it had some chimney fires because of it thus hurting the liner. But it's spotless now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts