Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting this for Tom (upalittle), he sent it around via e-mail and I suggested he post it for everyone to see in hope that it would be a reminder to drive defensively.

[ QUOTE ]
Ouch!!! When it's you day "IT's Your Day"!!!!!

from a traffic camera, a PT Cruiser blows a red light and then t-bones a Subaru Forrester. The Subaru then rolls over a pedestrian who didn't wait for the walk signal. What's even more amazing is that everyone survived the crash, even the pedestrian.

Dayton Police release dramatic video that shows an SUV landing on top of a pedestrian after a crash.

It happened yesterday at West Third and Edwin C. Moses. There are cameras at the intersection to catch red light runners. They show the victim walking in the crosswalk when a car and an SUV crashed. The SUV then rolled over onto the pedestrian. Police say it all started when the driver of a PT Cruiser ran a red light and slammed into the SUV. At least one passer-by witnessed the crash and called 911 Police say the drivers got away with minor injuries, but the pedestrian, 43-year-old Scott Tegtmeyer, was critically injured. Now, prosecutors are taking a close look at the video to determine what charges the driver of the PT Cruiser could face.

Investigators say analysis of the video has already revealed some crucial factors. The light had been red for 28 seconds when the PT Cruiser entered the intersection. They say Tegtmeyer should not have been crossing the street at the time because the crosswalk signal was red.

Amazingly, investigators also say that the massive dent left on the side of the SUV, caused by the impact of the crash, created a hollow space that kept Tegtmeyer from being crushed to death as the vehicle rolled over him.

Tegtmeyer was listed in serious condition Monday night. So far, no charges have been filed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Caught on Video by a Traffic Camera

This is not very dial-up friendly but doable at 1MB for 11 seconds of video. Also it is a traffic accident so it will make the best of us pucker just a bit, might not be good viewing for young children unless they are enrolled in drivers education then it should be mandatory.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif
Dale

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
729 Posts
I'm glad that I read your caption first. I just don't know how anyone would make it out of that. I wonder if the pedestrian is related to the trailer dealer located around exit 50 on I-71 in Ohio.

Mike

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[ QUOTE ]
sorry i dident see it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Kinda like the Subaru driver. He was right but not exactly paying attention. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Please don't take offense to that... you just played into the reason it was posted and we all do it.

Now besides running the light in the first place. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif What other major mistake did the driver of the PTCruiser make? Anyone?

Dale

Edit: 2broke4this is disqualified.... can't answer.

·
Registered
237 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

Now besides running the light in the first place. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif What other major mistake did the driver of the PTCruiser make? Anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]
He didn't even slow down/see the pedestrian? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Is that the answer? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No..... Even running the light the PT and the pedestrian would never cross paths. It took the Subaru going along on it's way with the light... but not watching out for the other guy.... The Subaru isn't at fault, but I bet he could have saved the day here had he been a bit more alert, hard to say exactly what he could see from the video maybe not enough.

What did the PT do that was wrong just before the impact (as he finally hit the brakes)?

Watch it again.

Dale

·
Registered
237 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

What did the PT do that was wrong just before the impact (as he finally hit the brakes)?

Watch it again.

Dale

[/ QUOTE ]
Was it that the PT turned in towards the middle of the intersection? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The dumb arse turns in the same direction the Suburban is traveling in. Had he veered right, he may have been able to avoid the whole situation by running behind him, though I doubt it. But he for sure could have avoided broadsiding the other guy like he did, and just clipped his tail and spun him out.
Pretty darn scarey video!!!

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, You both got it exactly correct.

But now to be sure about the effect on that poor guy hoofing that just wanted to cross the street??? Did you notice that he started to RUN as the two cars smacked?

Who's got a pool table and several weeks to work through all of that??

Be careful out there!

Dale

·
Registered
484 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
But now to be sure about the effect on that poor guy hoofing that just wanted to cross the street??? Did you notice that he started to RUN as the two cars smacked?

[/ QUOTE ]

looks to me like the pedestrian shoulda stopped

man what a mess, hope that town's got enough lawyers to figure it out

they better assign some blame to the pedestrian walking across not looking at the oncoming lane....timing seemed good for him to at least have gotten a good scare from the subaru--who looks to have been goin bout 45 or so at impact

·
Registered
292 Posts
honestly would you not run? I think I would have ran faster.
I have been ran over bye bulls before and that hurts enough that had to hurt. But it also looks to me that the subaru should have been slowing down a little green light or not peds always have the right of way. Am I correct???

·
Registered
292 Posts
honestly would you not run? I think I would have ran faster.
I have been ran over bye bulls before and that hurts enough that had to hurt. But it also looks to me that the subaru should have been slowing down a little green light or not peds always have the right of way. Am I correct???

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Actually the Pedestrian in the film is the only person in the "RIGHT" Pedestrians have the right of way by law even if they are violating a visual signal as long and they are in the cross walk or and area that should be designated as a cross walk!!

Course being right did not help much in this instance.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts