Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since it seems many persons on this board are firearms owners and many keep them for self-defense / emergency; just thought you would like to know the news of what the house just voted upon on 7/13:

As reported in last week's Alert, on July 13, 2006, all 55 Republicans, joined by 28 Democrats and 1 Independent, voted to pass Senator David Vitter's (R-La.) amendment to prohibit the use of taxpayer funds allocated under the Homeland Security appropriations bill (H.R. 5441) to be used to confiscate lawfully-possessed firearms during an emergency or major disaster. Sixteen Senators opposed the prohibition.

In passing this legislation, the United States Senate acted on a bi-partisan basis to protect the self-defense rights of citizens when those rights are most vital, in the aftermath of a major disaster, when law-abiding citizens are left to defend themselves and their families.

Sixteen Democrats (including both Senators from the states of California, Hawaii, Maryland, New Jersey, and New York) voted to defeat this commonsense legislation (Déjà vu Note: Under the unblinking eye of the C-SPAN cameras, Senator John Kerry (D-Mass.) voted against the Vitter amendment, then minutes later he reversed course and voted for it.) These extreme opponents of the Second Amendment are:

Daniel Akaka, Hawaii
Edward Kennedy, Massachusetts
Barbara Boxer, California
Frank Lautenberg, New Jersey
Hillary Clinton, New York
Carl Levin, Michigan
Christopher Dodd, Connecticut
Robert Menéndez, New Jersey
Dick Durbin, Illinois
Barbara Mikulski, Maryland
Dianne Feinstein, California
Jack Reed, Rhode Island
Tom Harkin, Iowa
Paul Sarbanes, Maryland
Daniel Inouye, Hawaii
Chuck Schumer, New York

Does it surprise you Hillary, Kennedy, Boxer and Kerry (waffling again)! Surprised at Iowa and Illinois!

WTF are they going to do anyway? Round up the guns BEFORE they give aid? Morons!

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,706 Posts
Re: Bill H.R. 5441

[ QUOTE ]
In passing this legislation, the United States Senate acted on a bi-partisan basis to protect the self-defense rights of citizens when those rights are most vital, in the aftermath of a major disaster, when law-abiding citizens are left to defend themselves and their families.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly fair and balanced.

This comes after the problems at the Superdome and elsewhere in New Orleans. The people who needed to defend themselves didn't have guns. One group of people decided that they might need to bring food, water, blankets, etc. Another group of people decided that stuff was too heavy and too much trouble to carry so they brought their guns which were lighter and easier to carry so that they could use them to take the food, water, blankets, etc. from the people that brought them. Just issue guns to everybody at the door.

As far as I'm concerned, homeland security shouldn't become involved in natural disasters.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Take the Tin hat off Taz. The superdome was exaggerated. I figure, the lawfully owned guns is the topic here, I have a sneaking suspicion that the people you were talking about (if they exist) had un-registered, illegal firearms. If you don't want to be unarmed, buy one, and learn how to properly use it, or align yourself with someone who does.

In any case, I doubt you would go to the superdome Taz, you seem like someone who would rather take care of yourself before joining mass humanity in such a place.

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,706 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
In any case, I doubt you would go to the superdome Taz, you seem like someone who would rather take care of yourself before joining mass humanity in such a place.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's what you believe, why do you think I'd need to buy anything? Why do you also seem to perceive me as liberal? Yeah, I'm liberal enough that if I get me, my family and close friends out, I might come back and show you the way but I ain't carrying you.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Figured you would take care of yourself. I guess it was a complement, ah nevermind.

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,706 Posts

I took it as a compliment. I just wondered why you thought I needed to buy anything. Why you would think I'm not already prepared.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts