Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I thought I'd give mozilla a try to see how I'd like it and I must say, I am very happy with it. (I'm just using the firefox 0.8) No more popups trying to open. I have a pop up stopper already but it trys to open another window first. Then when I click back (such as searching here) I have lost what I filled it/changed and have to start over because the page got triggered to reload. Anyway, just commenting on my initial impressions.

BTW, the board seems to load faster too.

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How can I get rid of internet explorer? I tried uninstalling it but it is still there just not in the add/remove programs list anymore.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The long and the short of it is I don't believe you can get rid of IE anymore. Microsoft integrated IE into the Operating System in such a way removing it will stop the OS from running. Thjs goes back to their anti-trust case years ago. They basically fooled the courts into claiming that IE had to be sold with every operating system. Hence the beginning of the end for Netscape. I would be careful about removing IE. It shouldn't be much of a concern. Is there any particular reason you want to get rid of IE or is it just a general distain for Microsoft!

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had a couple of times that something has triggered a pop up to open IE.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
If you don't have a fundamental problem with sticking with MS and IE6 and just don't like the out-dated interface and lack of pop-up blocking, there *are* some other browsers out there that use current technology interfaces (tabbed browsing, pop-up blocking, etc) over top of the IE engine. I actually went the opposite way (Netscape/Mozilla to IE) mostly due to one call Avant. I get all of the functionality of the latest browsers without installing an entire new engine, just a 2.5 mb or so front end, and since it uses the IE engine I don't have to port over my favorites, the history is intact, auto-complete is intact, etc. You might wanna check it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.