Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O/T - \'67 E Type

Oooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhh....../wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh....../wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

This would look good next to a midnight blue '67 Mustang./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif A brief, but nice, test-drive has got me drooling.

Steve 83 Bronco 4.9L
Build it; Don't buy it...

Attachments

· Registered
1,133 Posts
Re: O/T - \'67 E Type

Steve

It's a beauty alright. I spent 10 years driving, restoring and racing British cars until I was finally cured in 88. In 95 I finally sold off my last hanger queen and a half a 5 ton truck worth of speed equipment for it. Now I can walk by something as beautiful as that E-type and not even get the shakes.

My wallet is healthier, my friends don't treat me like I'm on drugs or inside a bottle and my car and truck start every day, even when it's raining. Careful you don't catch the bug Steve. It might be okay for you, because you like to tinker, but nobody, not even me, likes to HAVE to be "under the bonnet" EVERY day.

Malcolm

· Registered
5,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Surprisingly, this thing is unrestored - it just got an engine cleaning a few years ago, but it still runs great. It has a shoddy paint job, but you can't tell until you get REALLY close. Even in 4th at 60 mph, the I-6 will sit you back in your seat. Those are real knock-offs, and the rear "hatch" is actually a door hinged on the driver's side. And the whole front clip tilts forward. It has a surprising amount of interior room, but the pedals are too far back (close to the seat) for me. Even at the price he quoted me, I can't afford it, but it was a great ride!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Steve 83 Bronco 4.9L
Build it; Don't buy it...

· Registered
1,133 Posts

Steve

Yeah that's all standard E-type Jag you're describing. Remember all these features and the engineering was years ahead of the competition and surprisingly affordable compared to it's competition.

The straight six was a very quick car and the gearing was an integral part of it. The Jag engineers knew their engine's capabilities and torque and horsepower bands and they matched them up perfectly with the rear gear and gear ratios of the 4 speed. When they were new they could easily top 150 mph right out of the box.

I'm friends with a factory trained British mechanic who received his training in the late fifties to early seventies and he told me that just by playing with the distributor and re-tuning the carbs you could pull 165mph out of them. A good head porting, carb re-jetting and head plane, for additional compression, and these babies would eat a 327 Vette in the quarter mile as well as top end (which never was a problem stock, regardless of what Jan and Dean sing).

They made a lot of E-types, they're not rare even though they were rusty. You could find a rust bucket and weld the body back together, just be prepared to hand over your first born for a drivetrain and any factory parts you need.

Malcolm

G

·

Broncomania think you feel bad about that I could have bought a 1966 Cobra for $5500. in 1967 but I just couldn't get rid of my car fast enough to be able to swing the deal.

G

·

SixLitre you can wake up now and stop dreaming,I was an avid street racer in those days.Tell that crap to the guys here that are to young to either have been in those races or seen them. My vette 327, 350 horse would beat them easily and my cousins 300 horse vette would even beat Jags.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.